Noah Herron moved past Gado

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packers | Jagodzinski looking forward to seeing what running backs can do
Tue, 25 Jul 2006 05:55:36 -0700

PackersNews.com reports Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski is looking forward to seeing what the team's running backs can do in 2006. RBs Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport are coming back from severe season-ending injuries last year. Green was one of the NFL's top five or six runners from 2001 through 2004, but after his injury Oct. 23 at Minnesota, it's almost impossible to project him getting the Packers' running game back to the upper-tier position it held when he was healthy and in his prime. The other question is whether Davenport will still have his speed after a broken ankle ended his 2005 season. It's a prospect that has to leave the Packers feeling a little uneasy after last season. "I don't know if uneasy is the word," said Jeff Jagodzinski, the Packers' offensive coordinator. "I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do. I know what Ahman can do, and if we can get him back to where he feels comfortable and confident with his injury and rehab, he'll be fine." "Najeh's always been a good player, he's just never been able to stay health," Jagodzinski said. "I just think there's a question mark on how fast they come back in the preseason." RB Samkon Gado showed enough last season to suggest he's at least a capable backup and perhaps more, though he's been too indecisive in the new zone-blocking scheme that requires the backs to make one cut and go. In fact, RB Noah Herron had moved ahead of Gado with the No. 1 offense by the organized-team activities practices in June, though Gado is the superior talent.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been mentioning Herron as a good option at RB for a long time and it continued to get ignored.

He's a fast RB, who runs hard and is a good receiver out of the backfield. I don't see him as our #1 RB, but I think he'll make a great 3rd down back. Definitely a change of pace guy compared to Green, Davenpoop and Gado. If Davenpoop or Gado could double at FB, then we could keep all 4.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see Davenport being the odd man out. Gado will hopefully come around. He's a smart guy, he'll figure it out.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
I've been mentioning Herron as a good option at RB for a long time and it continued to get ignored.

He's a fast RB, who runs hard and is a good receiver out of the backfield. I don't see him as our #1 RB, but I think he'll make a great 3rd down back. Definitely a change of pace guy compared to Green, Davenpoop and Gado. If Davenpoop or Gado could double at FB, then we could keep all 4.

Bobby, I agree but I also read earlier that The Packers were giving Herron a look at Fullback in addition to RB. I think they will keep all 4 RB's and only keep Henderson at FB.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Bobby Roberts said:

Bobby, I agree but I also read earlier that The Packers were giving Herron a look at Fullback in addition to RB. I think they will keep all 4 RB's and only keep Henderson at FB.
De

Do you think we're ready to give up Vonta Leach? If Herron makes the team, it will be at the expense of the Poopster! I've always liked Davenport, but his major flaw is that he runs too high. If he could only learn to give the blow instead of taking it, he would be a major load.

Edgar Bennett is going to have a very busy summer in the film room.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment of the ***** Matter but I don't think the Packers are ready to give up on him and yes, I do think they will "dump" Leach.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is great news.

1. This will make things more competitive.
2. gado will come around. I like noah herron, but gado is smart,fast,a little bulldog, coachable,etc...

and as zero would point out, this previous stuff was done with no pads. Lets see what happens when the pads are on.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
this is great news.

1. This will make things more competitive.
2. gado will come around. I like noah herron, but gado is smart,fast,a little bulldog, coachable,etc...

and as zero would point out, this previous stuff was done with no pads. Lets see what happens when the pads are on.

Good points. The one knock on Gado is that he's a very similar style runner to Green and Davenpoop. Without Fisher, there's a major need for a 3rd down RB who can catch out of the backfield.

Green could fill that role, but that would take away from him being on the field for 1st and 2nd downs.

The biggest problem with keeping Leach is that he's not a threat out of the backfield. MM wants to go to more of a traditional WCO, which would incorporate more balls to the TEs and FBs. Leach doesn't fit into that mold. Henderson is the perfect FB for the offense though. Davenpoop and Herron can fill in as backup FBs and provide great alternatives for running.

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Methinks Najeh was originally drafted as a FB, so the pressure would appear to be on Vonta Leach.

I like Leach, but he didn't really sieze the opportunities he had last year. Could be just another in the long line of guys who were going to replace William H! :wink:

Chris

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's good that Herron is doing well, but I'm disappointed to hear that Gado has been struggling with the new offense. We all know he's a very smart guy, but maybe this is a case of him just not having the knack for hitting the holes quickly in this zone-blocking scheme. There are some things that cannot be learned, and this is especially true for running backs. If Gado cannot learn this skill, HE could be the odd man out.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would appear Gado is struggling with the adjustment much the same as guys like Ron Dayne did. RB's that went through college learning to wait for blocks to develop before making their cuts always have trouble adjusting to the speed of NFL defenses. Here, especially with the zone blocking scheme, they simply have to make a decision and go.

Gado will either adjust or he won't. If he does he'll be an NFL running back. If he doesn't, he'll go back to school for medicine.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Bobby Roberts said:

I agree with your thinking on this one DePack.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's mini camp right now so I wouldn't put that much into Herron looking better than Gado. Gado has done it on the field in pads in an NFL Game. Herron hasn't.. Herron should compete for a 5th spot at RB/FB. Green Bay will keep Davenport, Green, Gado, and Henderson. Herron sounds like he's the leading canidate for #5.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leach will make it and Herron will go - Herron is not going to play FB. I don't buy all this. The only way Leach goes is if Davenport is moved to FB exclusively.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
It would appear Gado is struggling with the adjustment much the same as guys like Ron Dayne did. RB's that went through college learning to wait for blocks to develop before making their cuts always have trouble adjusting to the speed of NFL defenses. Here, especially with the zone blocking scheme, they simply have to make a decision and go.

Gado will either adjust or he won't. If he does he'll be an NFL running back. If he doesn't, he'll go back to school for medicine.

Actually this is the same style of running/blocking that Gado had in college, so one would assume that he should adjust to it faster. I think he will catch on eventually though. He's got a lot of good talent, but he has to prove that last year wasn't a fluke.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
It's mini camp right now so I wouldn't put that much into Herron looking better than Gado. Gado has done it on the field in pads in an NFL Game. Herron hasn't.. Herron should compete for a 5th spot at RB/FB. Green Bay will keep Davenport, Green, Gado, and Henderson. Herron sounds like he's the leading canidate for #5.

The key to Herron is that he's a different style runner than the other RBs. He's more of a Westbrook type of RB who is also a very good receiver. That makes him a dangerous weapon on 3rd down, which is exactly what is needed in replacing Fisher.

Fisher may have struggled as a feature back, but he was a very good 3rd down back. Herron has the ability to be the feature RB if injuries force that situation, but he's also that good weapon on 3rd down.

Leach is the best blocker of the group, but that isn't as much a factor with the running scheme that MM and Jag are installing. It means more to have a FB that can run or catch well.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what? To me, this is a GREAT problem to have! Too much talent at RB! It's alot better then not having anyone that can carry the ball. I like all of them, so it's hard for me to pick one over the other. Green of course is still number one, IF he proves he is 100% after the injury. He has taken alot of punishment over the years. Davenport AND Gado are BIG strong men, and if they can put it together, could be a big problem for D's to bring down. Herron seems to me to be a more all purpose back.

Members online

Latest posts