NFL Draft

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers need to find the best players to fill their biggest needs. I will list the Packers biggest need per my perspective and who I would like to fill this need per probable or possible available player at their draft spot.

Safety (free or strong): If Brandon Browner of Oregon State is available and he is willing to play free safety I think he would be an excellent acquistion.
He is between 6' 3" and 6' 4". He is 202lb and runs 4.44 40yd dash. He is considered a strong tackler who moves well. He was graded a 8.4 by TSN. Some draft experts consider him a better fit at free safety. I think he could end up better than Darren Sharper. I hope he can be convinced to play free safety.

I would use a latter pick for a strong safety. I like Ernest Shazor of MICH at 6'3 and a half at 225lb and 4.45 dash and grades out at 7.7 for strong safety, but he will probably not be available in the mid 2nd round. He is considered a hard hitter and excellent tackler.
I would settle for Donte Nicholson at 6'1" and a half who weighs 210lbs and runs a 4.6 40. He is considered a hard hitter, excellent tackler, and athletic. If available for the Packers in the 3rd or latter I think the Packers should consider him.

I hope the Packers keep Aaron Kampman. I think he is a stable starter at DE. If not DE is probably our next most urgent position. If a quality safety can not be had in the 1st round a DE that is ready to start should be considered. Matt Roth of Iowa or David Pollack of GA would be fine in the 1st or latter. I like converting DT Jonathan Babineaux of Iowa to DE is available in the 3rd round or latter. I think he would be a good run stopper and probably a good pass rusher. At 6'2" and 280lbs with 4.74 40yd speed he could end up being impressive. Injuries is considered a concern.

I am torn between LB or OG as the next big need. I look at all of the tangibles and I think some big men with quick feet are available. The Packers O Line coach seems to have a very good eye for young talent. He was the man who almost demanded the Packers pick Chad Clifton. If he sees a probable starter availbe at OG in the 2nd or 3rd round his advice should be highly considered.

The Packers seem to like Odell Thurman of GA who if available could fill in nice at MLB. He is decent size at 6'1" 240lbs with 4.73 40. Thurman was very productive in college playing in the very tough SEC. Crowder of FL is faster, but he is less likely to be available in the 2nd. I think the Packers would love to find a bigger and more sure tackler in the MLB position. Nick Barnett has been very good for the Packers, but some think his best position is still OLB.
I like Rian Wallace at a latter round if the right fit for the LB position is not available.

I am still not satisfied with the Packers TE position. Bubba Franks is getting the most out of his ability. I think Vincent Jackson of Northern CO could turn out as a converted TE from the WR position. He is at best a 4th round gamble. Larry Brackins stock is rising very high. He could end up being an excellent pass catching TE and/or utility WR.

A return man who could also be a utility DB is Darrent Willass.

I am far from a draft expert, but I usually buy a NFL draft book and consider good fits for the Packers.

The Packers need a very good draft in 2005.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT will step up to the challenge, ldlehrer - Count on it...
Good post btw - well thought out....

Question - out of everyone who would be available on any level... Draft or otherwise...

Who would you choose to pick up as a backup for Gravy Jackson?

OP
OP
L

ldlehrer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might just be wishful thinking, but I was hoping Donnell Washington DT we pickied up in the 3rd round of the 2004 NFL draft recovers from his foot injury and ends up being the run stuffing stud he is projected to be. The Packers have some hope in Corey Williams DT who they drafted in 2004.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ldlehrer said:
This might just be wishful thinking, but I was hoping Donnell Washington DT we pickied up in the 3rd round of the 2004 NFL draft recovers from his foot injury and ends up being the run stuffing stud he is projected to be. The Packers have some hope in Corey Williams DT who they drafted in 2004.

Exactly what I was eluding to in the 'what u do with hunt' thread. I wanna see how these guys proferm a full season before totally deeming them untalented. If they can't make it this year, they then are in my view, a loss.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another one of those...."what were we thinking?" posts. This is from two years ago this week.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donnel Washington lol he was a bust and Corey Williams is the good one you guys had it backwards.

Members online

Latest posts