New Quarterback???

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
So since the Redskins are working out Jamarcus Russell and JP Losman, why not work out other draft busts?
They could call up Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, and Alkili Smith

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI- Moved this thread from PACKER forum to NFL since Washington, or Mcnabb is not Packer related

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
You beat me to it, Wood Chipper. I was just coming on here to post this. Skins trying to stir up a QB controversy? McNabb is one of my fave QBs. It hurt to see the Skins bench him in the Lions game. I hope they don't give up on him too soon. I don't think McNabb would be a backup QB, he's more of a starter. Think of teams who need starters. Cleveland still needs a QB (unless they picked one up in the draft/trade?), SF could use one.... hmmmm. I hope he doesn't land up back in Philly, there is enough going on with QB controversies, no need to add a third to the mix. If I were the Skins I'd keep McNabb, I saw something with that offense that could be good.

On a side note, we got to keep an eye on those Lions. They have the potential to be a huge wild card. You just never know what they are gonna do and we have to play them once more. Twice if we meet them in the playoffs.

Was pulling McNabb the right call?

The Redskins said that QB Donovan McNabb did not have the “cardiovascular endurance” to run the two-minute offense, and that was why he was pulled from the game. Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan even suggested Tuesday that McNabb was tipped off about the plan in advance.

Problem is, McNabb is claiming otherwise, and says he was fine to finish the game.

NFL Network analysts Charles Davis, Torry Holt, Mike Mayock and Solomon Wilcots took their turn dissecting the odd set of circumstances at play in Washington, and if Mike Shanahan’s decision to pull McNabb was the right call.

Warner: McNabb benching ‘doesn’t make sense’

Many around the league are still trying to make sense of Mike Shanahan’s decision to pull QB Donovan McNabb in the closing minutes of what was considered a very winnable game last week in Detroit. The series of explanations that followed in the days after the benching seemed to only muddle the situation and bring questions about McNabb’s future in Washington and the trust the team has in the player who was thought to be their franchise quarterback.

To his credit — and perhaps the preservation of his next contract — McNabb has mostly taken the high road on the matter.

But the topic is still hot around the NFL Network, and, with the Redskins on their bye week, isn’t likely to dissipate from our consciousness. This one still has legs, and we’re slowly but surely getting more and more of the truths involved.
Quarterback-turned-NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner is no stranger to these situations, and he shared some of his thoughts:

“I couldn’t figure it out then. And then hearing coach Shanahan explain a little bit more over the last couple days, I’m even more perplexed with it.

“To say that he had some hamstring issues or he hasn’t run the two‑minute drill the last couple weeks and (they weren’t) sure he was in condition to do it? I mean, this is McNabb we’re talking about. He’s been out there every single snap of all these other games, and you’re going to tell me that he can’t finish out the two‑minute drive and doesn’t have the stamina and endurance to do that? Really a weird situation. I couldn’t make sense of it. I don’t know why it was done.

“I think it does lead to questions of ‘why’ in the locker room. If you take out your leader and the guy that you’ve really built this team around this year, and you take him out in the two‑minute drill and say, ‘We don’t have the confidence in you in this kind of situation to win a game for us,’ I think it raises some questions as to where they’re going and what the leadership of that team is. I wonder if it raises questions to the teammates and in the locker room on why that was done.

“If they’re asking the same questions as us, there’s got to be something more to it, because it just doesn’t make sense.”

What is going on in Washington? On the surface, the initial benching and following cover-up that few are buying is nothing but odd. To be fair, the Redskins coaching staff sees McNabb every day and knows more about their quarterback than they seem to be getting credit for. The handling of the situation, and its snowballing effect, likely raises questions and starts conversations about trust, loyalty and leadership in the corners of the locker room.

That’s what the Redskins don’t need.

– Frank Tadych

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
More on McNabb:

Donovan McNabb: Man We Love to Hate

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

By Terence Moore National Columnist

At the end of each show in the sitcom based on Chris Rock's life, a choir sings, "Everybody hates Chris."

Thus the name of the show.

Well, the NFL is in its 12th year of "Everybody Hates Donovan," and it makes you wonder: Why doesn't this guy ever strike back? How come he always eases into a smile atop that high road before he returns quietly to the shadows until he repeats the scenario after he gets bashed by somebody else's words or actions?

Here's a thought: McNabb knows his critics are correct about nearly everything they've blasted him for.

The booing from Philadelphia Eagles fans -- you know, even more so than usual -- after he was drafted as a multiple Super Bowl-winning quarterback that they swore he'd never become.

The Rush Limbaugh rip, and then the Terrell Owens rip.

The punch in the gut that was Andy Reid alternating McNabb at quarterback with the same Michael Vick that McNabb urged the Eagles to acquire as a third-string backup.

The humiliation of Reid, not only trading McNabb to division-foe Washington, but eventually replacing McNabb with Vick.

Now this: The insult of insults.

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan yanked McNabb on Sunday during a crucial stretch of what became a loss to the lowly Detroit Lions. So why such a move? Shanahan won't say. Instead, he suggested it was because (choose one or more) he didn't realize McNabb has slipped this much at 33, the guy isn't in shape due to injuries or just in general, his practice habits are awful, underwhelming backup Rex Grossman is better in the two-minute offense than the owner of six trips to the Pro Bowl.

Again, why? Why doesn't McNabb ever get angry to the point of joining his mother in dumping several buckets of Campbell's Chunky Soup over somebody's head?

I gave you my answer.

What does Joe Theismann think? Since he ended his dozen years as the Redskins quarterback in 1985 along the way to going 1-for-2 in Super Bowls and collecting a slew of team records, he estimates they've used 27 different starting quarterbacks, including McNabb.

"I can never recall him basically striking back. He's always been very honest about the situation, but he's one of those guys, it seems like -- and not necessarily because of what he's done, but he's always been a lightning rod."
-- Joe Theismann
"The one thing that has remained consistent about Donovan is that he has always conducted himself in a very classy manner," said Theismann, 61, who works for the NFL Network these days. "I can never recall him basically striking back. He's always been very honest about the situation, but he's one of those guys, it seems like -- and not necessarily because of what he's done, but he's always been a lightning rod."

Which is my point: That lightning rod should have scorched somebody years ago -- if he thought they were wrong.

The fact is, the truly great quarterbacks managed to snatch the ultimate ring, and McNabb led the Eagles to five NFC Championship Games, but he won just once. And when he did reach the Super Bowl, he lost it, and he also watched Owens become the original Shanahan afterward by questioning McNabb's endurance down the stretch.

Yes, McNabb had an Eagles coach whose game plans consistently ignored the run. And, yes, McNabb often lacked gifted receivers until Owens came along. And, yes, McNabb's Redskins have the worst offensive line in the NFL that isn't a part of the Chicago Bears.

Still, it's about the bottom line in professional sports. Even beyond the lack of a world championship, McNabb had significant issues as a quarterback before he entered this bye week for the Redskins with more interceptions than touchdowns and a passer rating of 76.0 that is lower than that of Shaun Hill, Chad Henne and even Jason Campbell, the former Redskins starter now with the Oakland Raiders.

"When Donovan steps on the field, there are certain things you have to know," said Theismann, who lives in the Washington D.C. area, where he occasionally watches Redskins practices.

Added Theismann, "He's not going to be a 65-percent passer. Some throws you're going to scratch your head over, and he's going to make plays with his legs. And mechanically, he has struggled his entire career. Some balls will be bounced. Some balls will be thrown high.

"That's who Donovan McNabb is, and I believe that the Redskins felt like some of the things that he brings to the table would be beneficial to this offense. It may have reached the point where Coach Shanahan just said, 'I can't live with other aspects of what he does.' All I can figure is that (the benching) was all about X's and O's.

"I mean, you've listened to the explanations from Coach Shanahan. Can you figure out why he was benched?"

Yep. Everybody hates ...

Theismann disagreed, saying, "I don't necessarily buy into that, because when he got introduced in Philadelphia (earlier this year when he came back with the Redskins), he received a very warm welcome from the Eagles fans. And Andy Reid has an extremely high opinion of Donovan. He knows what Donovan did for him."

That's true, but so is this: Reid loved Donovan so much that he traded him to a competitor. Plus, many of those Eagles fans were cheering so heartily when McNabb returned to Philadelphia that day because he was wearing somebody else's uniform.

Through it all, McNabb just shrugged.

See what I mean?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seriously would love to know whats going on behind the scenes in washington

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts