My personal position grades

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys,

I sat on this for the better part of 48 hours from when I started thinking about this, so I've had time to cool down, though to be honest my thoughts haven't changed. In some cases I'll give individual grades but mostly I'm just grading groups.

Special Teams Kicking: A (I usually don't give A+ grades) Masthay is the best punter in the league, Goode didn't botch a snap, and Crosby improved so much that I was surprised that he hadn't hit 90% of his kicks, cause I don't remember any misses!

Special Teams Coverage: C-. I've seen this group do worse, alot of room for improvement though.

Quarterbacks: D+. Aaron gets a C because even when he played he wasn't as good as he was the last 3 years. Tolzien also gets a C, he was about as good in some areas as thought, and not as good in other areas as I thought. Flynn gets a B, considering he allegedly has an arm injury, and has been in multiple systems over the last 2 years, he stepped in did well, and without his efforts in Dallas and against Minnesota this team doesn't make the playoffs. Senecca Wallace gets an R, and Ted gets a V for signing him.

Running backs: A. Lacey was better than expected, Starks improved, Kuhn came on late, and picked up some good yardage in the playoff game.

Wide Receivers: B-. Yes Cobb was down, yes Jones was hurt, I get that. I just get the feeling that Boykin even though he improved could've done more. Jordy had some untimely drops, and because of these things at time QBs counted more on Quarless.

Tight Ends: B+. More a depth issue than anything. Quarless did great filling in, but what's behind Quarless?

O-Line: D. Barclay didn't do well at all, and was responsible for Aaron being injured. I saw a LOT of pressure coming right down the shoot through the interior line (Which I thought was better than this), Bakhtiari kept this from being an F. I can't tell you why but I look at him and think yeah ok he was in over his head, probably should've sat a year and couldn't, but I see him anchoring this line for years, SOMEWHERE on the line, maybe not at LT if we get Bulaga back. I see a Marco Rivera quality about this kid, is the best way I can put it.

D-Line: B-. Raji did nothing, and I'm 50/50 on Datone Jones right now only thing bad to say about this unit. Daniels was the stud of this unit!

OLB: C+ Clay played well, but cant stay healthy, I'm starting to wonder if Perry can play or not, I mean Mulumba outplayed him throughout the year.

ILB: C-. Brad Jones is a terrible starter at linebacker. He should be the primary backup like Chillar was in '09 and '10 (When healthy) that can play all 4 positions in a pinch, but takes depth away when you start him. AJ started great, then the last 4 games he remembered who he was and started playing like crap.

CB: B. I'm not sure about Davon House, and we definitely need to draft here because of this.

Safety: F. Confusion all over every week! 2 big plays cost us 10 points due to safeties not knowing their assignment, and it was one on each of them! Only good news is I THINK we have the answer in house.

Ok boys and girls dissect it, I'm used to it.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB: Rodgers A-, Flynn B-, Tolzien D+, Wallace F
Not Rodgers his best season. Flynn did ok, Tolzien did better than expected.

RB: Lacy A, Starks A-, Franklin C+,
Lacy was a beast. Starks ran very well in his shadow (5.5 yards per carry). Franklin did ok vs cincy.

FB: Kuhn B+
Kuhn had a solid season,

TE: Finley A-, Quarless B, Bostick C, Taylor C
Finley looked great before his injury. Quarless did a good job. Bostick showed some promise, and Taylor is a nice utility guy.

WR: Nelson A+, Cobb, A, J.Jones B-, Boykin C+, White D+
Nelson had a great season. Cobb played well in his few games. Jones did not have a great season. Boykin looked good at times.

O-line: Bakthiari C+, Sitton A+, EDS B, Lang B+, Barclay C-, Newhouse D-
Bakthiari had a great season for a rookie tackle. Looks like the steal of the draft. Both Sitton and Lang had great seasons. Sitton might be one of the best guards in the league. EDS did a decent job as center. Barclay struggled at times, and Newhouse was just horrible this year.

D-Line: Pickett B, Raji D+, Jolly B-, Daniels A, D.Jones C-, Boyd C, Wilson C-
Daniels was our best defender this year. Pickett played decent. Jolly had a great comeback. Raji played horrible this year, especially the second half of the season. Boyd looks like a keeper. Jones has shown his athletic ability, and 5 sacks is great for a rookie, but he made many mistakes as well. Hopefully he can make a jump next year.

ILB: Hawk B, B.Jones D+, Lattimore C-
Hawk had a good season. Jones was solid before he got injured, but somehow he was horrible after he returned form injury. Lattimore showed some good stuff, but also made too many mistakes.

OLB: Matthews A-, Perry B-, Neal C, Mulumba C-, Palmer D-
Matthews was too often injured this year, and when he wasn't he didn't look like Clay. Perry has shown the ability to get to the QB, however the injuries are killing hiss impact. Neal looked ok for a transformed DE. Mulumba is good run stuffer, but has zero impact as rusher.

CB: Shields B+, Williams A-, House C, Hyde C+, Bush C+
Tramon had a great rebound season. Shields was solid, but he played better last year. House played ok, for most part. Hyde looks like a great pick, he might become a great slot cornerback. Bush had his best season as packer yet.

S: Burnett C-, Banjo D+, Jennings D-, McMillian F
Burnett had a bad year, hopefully he can bounce back next year (It might help when the other safety does his job properly.) Jennings just isn't good enough. McMillian might have been worst player in the league (at least he was the worst safety). Banjo did ok for an undrafted rookie.

ST: Crosby A, Mastay B
Crosby had a great year and Mastay had a decent year.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
So flynn was better than rodgers and tolzein and rodgers are the same huh? Hmmmm.......

I think Luca hit WAY closer to the mark on all his grades.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
QB: A
Aaron Rodgers is the best qb in the game, and Matt Flynn is probably the second or third best backup in the game.

RB: A-
Lacy is going to be good for a long time if he stays healthy, and Starks gives Green Bay the best 1-2 punch in the league.

FB: B
John Kunh is a little overpaid but he does a little bit of everything for this team.

TE: C+
Finley was off to a solid start but got hurt, and Quarless is decent.. but no one game plans for Andrew Quarless.

LT: C+
Bak was decent but he commits to many penalties and has a hard time against athletic pass rushers.

LG: B+
Sitton is good but he like Bak commits to many penalties at the wrong time. Penalties are drive killers.

RG: B+
I like Tj Lang. Kinda flys under the radar but he gets the job done and is versatile enough to play all over the line.

RT: C-
Barclay can't pass block and he's a decent run blocker. He will be where he needs to be next year when Bulaga comes back..on the bench.

C: C-
EDS is barely good enough to start. Packers really miss Scott Wells, and if Lang wasn't so solid at guard and he would be starting at center.

WR: A+
I'd take the trio of James Jones, Jordy Nelson, and Randall Cobb over ANY trio in the NFL...not to mention the fact that Boykin has demonstrated play making ability. If we lose Jones to FA Boykin isn't just some fill in.

DEFENSE

CB: A-
Shileds has lock down potential and is a threat to take it the distance once he gets his hands on the ball.

Tramon Williams can be really good but gives up to many big plays for someone with his salary and skill set. Neesds to improve in that area.

Micah Hyde can play any position in the secondary. A full season is going to help his mental focus and the NEW defensive coach will be able to do alot of things with him. This may unltimately be the guy who has the "Charles Woodson factor."

Casey Heyward had a great rookie season but the dreaded hamstring issues kept him out for mise well say this entire season. If Heyward can stay helathy it allows the Packers to either let Tramon Williams go?? or the blow not be as bad if we lose Shields to FA.

Devon House started off playing well but got put on the bench because he's just not good in Capers zone coverage schemes. If House isn't playing man to man he's lost in space.

Safety: D-
Morgan Burnett completely took a step back. The organization let Future Hall of Famer Charles Woodson go because they thought Burnett could be the guy back there but boy were they wrong. Burnett picked a bad time to start declining as the safety spot was the weakest spot in the defense this year by far. BTW he got a new contract this season.

MD Jennings was is terrible. Just Terrible.

Sean Richardson can play the run but lacks play making ability versus the pass and looks stiff in pass coverage. With another off season should improve his cover skills as he's a physical freak.

Banjo is solid on special teams but obviously isnt starter material and may never be.

ILB: C+
AJ Hawk probably had the best season of his career but even that still only makes AJ Hawk a solid presence in the middle. Nothing special but solid.

Brad Jones is not the answer and was not the answer in the middle this year. TT OVERPAYED big time to keep a guy who knew the system around.

J Lattimore will make a play but then blow his assingment the next play. If he can just get the mental part of the game then we can finally get rid of injury prone starters taking up cap space^^^^^.

OLB: C+

Clay Matthews is feared by offenses when healthy but health hasn't been on his side as of late. He just got a huge extension with alot of money which he deserves but he's got to find a way to stay healthy for this defense to work.

Nick Perry is a former 1st round pick who the fans and organization is still waiting for to live up to the "hype". Physical freak who has a hard time staying healthy and just may not be suitable for OLB.

Mike Neal (see Above^^^) minus the former 1st rd pick label.

D line: C+

BJ Raji may have worn out his welcome in Green Bay. Alot of fans including myself thought he would eventually turn into the best 3-4 DE in the league but he's been outplayed by a large margin by guys with less ability and draft status.

Johnny Jolly was the best dlinemen before he got hurt. Plays with emotion and passion like a guy who is greatful he got a second chance. Hope he returns 100% healthy.

Mike Daniels makes Raji replaceable. By far our best pass rushing linemen and another guy who plays with fire and tenacity. Green Bay needs more of those.

Josh Boyd was a nice fit in the rotation and with more reps and experience could probably turn into a starter.

Ryan Pickett was ok in the middle but the age and knee issues limited the big man. Look for him to start to see less and less snaps..if he's retained. Packers will definitely be looking for a DT where they need to get younger and more productive.

Special Teams: A

Crosby and Masthay can be a great 1-2 punch if they stay consistent.

Returners Cobb and Hyde give the Packers two nice options which we havn't had in a long time. Either guy can make things happen as a returner.

Coverage Unit is wayy better then last year. They still need some work but they have improved tremendously.

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O-Line: D. Barclay didn't do well at all, and was responsible for Aaron being injured. I saw a LOT of pressure coming right down the shoot through the interior line (Which I thought was better than this), Bakhtiari kept this from being an F.

1) Rodgers got hurt on a rollout.

2) Too much pressure coming up the gut: You're going to have cite a source or otherwise offer proof.

Garrett Moran

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BJ Raji may have worn out his welcome in Green Bay. Alot of fans including myself thought he would eventually turn into the best 3-4 DE in the league but he's been outplayed by a large margin by guys with less ability and draft status.

Well honestly when we drafted him (and i actually really wanted to draft him...shows how much i know) I thought he'd be our NT and anchor of the defense for the next decade at least. Not only did Pickett pretty much beat him out for the NT role early on, he really hasn't taken the next step since his 2010 campaign, and was played especially bad this season.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So flynn was better than rodgers and tolzein and rodgers are the same huh? Hmmmm.......

I think Luca hit WAY closer to the mark on all his grades.

Rodgers was gone half the year. Flynn brought the team back from 20 point deficits twice. That's why Flynn got the better grade.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Rodgers got hurt on a rollout.

2) Too much pressure coming up the gut: You're going to have cite a source or otherwise offer proof.

on #1.) It was Barclay's guy, and it wasn't a roll out, Barclay got beat and Aaron was running for his life.

2.) Dallas game 1st half

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well honestly when we drafted him (and i actually really wanted to draft him...shows how much i know) I thought he'd be our NT and anchor of the defense for the next decade at least. Not only did Pickett pretty much beat him out for the NT role early on, he really hasn't taken the next step since his 2010 campaign, and was played especially bad this season.

I thought this too, have to wonder if he's strong enough to play interior line.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
on #1.) It was Barclay's guy, and it wasn't a roll out, Barclay got beat and Aaron was running for his life.

Correction. Not a designed rollout, but I encourage you to watch the play again. Barclay had his man beat to the inside. Rodgers steps up and the runs to the right, apparently due to coverage ( I don't see anyone open ). Barclay's man catches Rodgers from behind, while Rodgers is running parallel to the LOS, looking for a chance to throw.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this too, have to wonder if he's strong enough to play interior line.

Raji is plenty strong. Effort and endurance is holding him back not his strength. When he first came in he would Bull rush linemen back into the qb and had a nice burst. Against San Francisco i saw him take more snaps at NT then i had all year. Maybe the staff wanted to see how effective he would be there before making a final decision on him. Needless to say i don't remember him making a single play smh. The only thing that stood out was his dark visor he wore.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correction. Not a designed rollout, but I encourage you to watch the play again. Barclay had his man beat to the inside. Rodgers steps up and the runs to the right, apparently due to coverage ( I don't see anyone open ). Barclay's man catches Rodgers from behind, while Rodgers is running parallel to the LOS, looking for a chance to throw.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This video doesn't work but I did pull the play up on youtube. Aaron stepped up to make a play. If Barclay holds the block Aaron gets past he and McClellan.

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're giving the team an "If not for Bak. F-" based on one half of football? In a game that we got our head on straight on and won?

Do you even know what I'm responding to, or did you just skim through? I made a valid point based on a question I was asked!

OP
OP
P

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raji is plenty strong. Effort and endurance is holding him back not his strength. When he first came in he would Bull rush linemen back into the qb and had a nice burst. Against San Francisco i saw him take more snaps at NT then i had all year. Maybe the staff wanted to see how effective he would be there before making a final decision on him. Needless to say i don't remember him making a single play smh. The only thing that stood out was his dark visor he wore.

I don't think Raji stays. The Packers are drafting late in Round 1 and there is a NT that should be there by the time the Packers draft, because he'll drop. He's dropping because he missed the final 4 games of his college career with a knee and subsequent surgery, but he should be ok by the Combine if not then the draft. If the Packers wind up with Louis Nix Raji becomes an expense they don't need, nor will they really want.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Luca nailed it IMO. I would just have rated Bakthiari, Boykin and Mulumba a bit higher. Well, maybe just because I think Boykin and Mulumba got better and better and both are going to be very good players. I really like both of those guys.

QB: Rodgers A-, Flynn B-, Tolzien D+, Wallace F
Not Rodgers his best season. Flynn did ok, Tolzien did better than expected.

RB: Lacy A, Starks A-, Franklin C+,
Lacy was a beast. Starks ran very well in his shadow (5.5 yards per carry). Franklin did ok vs cincy.

FB: Kuhn B+
Kuhn had a solid season,

TE: Finley A-, Quarless B, Bostick C, Taylor C
Finley looked great before his injury. Quarless did a good job. Bostick showed some promise, and Taylor is a nice utility guy.

WR: Nelson A+, Cobb, A, J.Jones B-, Boykin C+, White D+
Nelson had a great season. Cobb played well in his few games. Jones did not have a great season. Boykin looked good at times.

O-line: Bakthiari C+, Sitton A+, EDS B, Lang B+, Barclay C-, Newhouse D-
Bakthiari had a great season for a rookie tackle. Looks like the steal of the draft. Both Sitton and Lang had great seasons. Sitton might be one of the best guards in the league. EDS did a decent job as center. Barclay struggled at times, and Newhouse was just horrible this year.

D-Line: Pickett B, Raji D+, Jolly B-, Daniels A, D.Jones C-, Boyd C, Wilson C-
Daniels was our best defender this year. Pickett played decent. Jolly had a great comeback. Raji played horrible this year, especially the second half of the season. Boyd looks like a keeper. Jones has shown his athletic ability, and 5 sacks is great for a rookie, but he made many mistakes as well. Hopefully he can make a jump next year.

ILB: Hawk B, B.Jones D+, Lattimore C-
Hawk had a good season. Jones was solid before he got injured, but somehow he was horrible after he returned form injury. Lattimore showed some good stuff, but also made too many mistakes.

OLB: Matthews A-, Perry B-, Neal C, Mulumba C-, Palmer D-
Matthews was too often injured this year, and when he wasn't he didn't look like Clay. Perry has shown the ability to get to the QB, however the injuries are killing hiss impact. Neal looked ok for a transformed DE. Mulumba is good run stuffer, but has zero impact as rusher.

CB: Shields B+, Williams A-, House C, Hyde C+, Bush C+
Tramon had a great rebound season. Shields was solid, but he played better last year. House played ok, for most part. Hyde looks like a great pick, he might become a great slot cornerback. Bush had his best season as packer yet.

S: Burnett C-, Banjo D+, Jennings D-, McMillian F
Burnett had a bad year, hopefully he can bounce back next year (It might help when the other safety does his job properly.) Jennings just isn't good enough. McMillian might have been worst player in the league (at least he was the worst safety). Banjo did ok for an undrafted rookie.

ST: Crosby A, Mastay B
Crosby had a great year and Mastay had a decent year.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts