Murphy on IR!?!?!?

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I apologize if this was already posted.

We signed Rashard Lee today also.

Wow, Murphy's injury must be really bad to place him on IR for the rest of the season!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rashard Lee?!?

Man, this Murphy thing was a lot worse than I expected. In spite of him getting hauled off on a stretcher, I figured that was just the typical precautionary stuff, and he'd be just fine :(

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Web Page Name

Murphy is done for the season, check the link..up

Here is the info on Lee:

Lee, a 5-foot-10, 228-pound player out of Middle Tennessee State, spent the 2005 preseason with both Buffalo and Minnesota. Before the Bills waived him in late August, he had 16 carries for 44 yards, three receptions for 18 yards and three kickoff returns for 108 yards. Claimed on waivers by Minnesota, he played in the Vikings' preseason finale at Seattle and returned one kickoff for 26 yards.

Originally signed as a non-drafted free agent by Dallas after the 2003 draft, Lee sprained his knee during his rookie preseason and eventually reached an injury settlement with the Cowboys. He spent the season's final month on the Dallas practice squad, then re-signed with the club and made Bill Parcells' opening day roster. In 2004, he led the Cowboys by averaging 4.7 yards on 27 carries (128 yards, one touchdown).

Lee, No. 32 on the Packers' roster, took part in Thursday preparations for the Packers' game against New Orleans, a noon kickoff Sunday at Lambeau Field.

One more of the great players that we need to get signed.. I duno... :evil:

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now the priority is making sure Terrence gets back his health. Get well guy. The Geen Bay Packers Organization has put a young mans health more important than anything else I'm quite sure. They want to see a full recovery because of the seriousness of the injury. As far as the signing of Lee, I see it as insurance coverage in the return game. Who knows? these guys come around a ball club and something happens and they end up working out. If not, He's an ex-vike and they could have him make the coffee.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
ESPN Murphy IR
Packers place Terrence Murphy on IR
Associated Press
National Football League News Wire

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Rookie wide receiver Terrence Murphy, who hurt his neck and was taken off the field on a stretcher Monday night, was placed on injured reserve Thursday, ending his season.

Murphy, a second-round draft choice out of Texas A&M, suffered a bruised spinal cord on Thomas Davis' helmet-to-helmet hit in the second quarter of Green Bay's 32-29 loss at Carolina on Monday night.

Coach Mike Sherman said the minimum recovery time was eight to 10 weeks.

"Then, to get him back on the field, it would have been a little bit of a rush and probably not in his best interests. So, we felt like this, as an organization, was the best way to go," Sherman said. "I know his parents were pleased with that decision. He just wants to get well and I think this time allows him the opportunity to do that."

Asked if the injury was career-threatening, Sherman said: "We're not even considering that option at this time. We're hoping he'll make a full recovery and be back on the field in minicamp, and fully expect that."

Murphy will stay in Green Bay for a few weeks so the team can monitor his progress.

"It's just rest. There's not a lot you can do about it. It's just time," Sherman said. "And we've dealt with these before with (Robert) Ferguson and also with (Donald) Driver and it takes a while to get back from something like this, and that also affected our decision."

Ferguson, who returned this season after a clothesline hit last December left him temporarily paralyzed, also is from Texas A&M and had taken Murphy under his tutelage.

Now, they have something else in common, dealing with a scary neck injury.

"I've been talking to him, I think the main thing is just mentally. I think the physical part will take care of itself," Ferguson said. "We're used to rehabbing and things like that. It's just the mental part of getting back out there and knowing if you get hit, it's not going to bother you. I know once I got my first hit out of the way, I was fine."

Ferguson called Murphy several times while he was hospitalized for two nights in Charlotte, N.C.

"Naturally, he was just scared. I was the same way. He doesn't know what the future holds right now," Ferguson said. "He's got to be optimistic and let things heal themselves right now. There's no amount of rehab he can do. He's just got to let things heal themselves."

Sherman said Murphy "has 99 percent of all the feeling back. He has a little tingling in one of his shoulders. But he's got most of everything, his faculties back where they need to be. It's just when you watch him walk, he's very stiff and not very mobile and understandably so."

Murphy, who missed most of training camp and the opener with a knee injury, had five catches for 56 yards and returned five kickoffs for an 18.2-yard average in three games. He was starting to show flashes of being the type of playmaker the injury-riddled Packers desperately need when he got hurt.

The team signed 235-pound running back ReShard Lee, who played at Middle Tennessee State and was in training camp with Buffalo and Minnesota this summer. He originally signed with Dallas in 2003 as a non-drafted free agent.

Lee, who will take Murphy's place as one of Green Bay's two deep men on kickoffs, had a 69-yard kickoff return against the Packers in the preseason.

"I remember (kicker) Ryan Longwell tackled him, so I had a little doubt there," Sherman cracked. "But I checked the tape and Longwell had a great angle on him."

Lee also got work at running back in practice with Ahman Green (thigh, knee) sidelined and questionable for Sunday's game against New Orleans.

The Packers will be without center Mike Flanagan (abdominal surgery) and maybe left tackle Chad Clifton (ankle) Sunday.

Right tackle Mark Tauscher returned from a sprained arch Thursday and lined up at left tackle, with Kevin Barry taking his spot on the right side.

"Tauscher can do anything," Sherman said. "Tauscher can play tight end, he can play left tackle, he can play right tackle, he probably could play quarterback if we asked him. He's very adaptable."

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's too bad we lost Murphy. An article today at Jsonline regarding Ferguson, implied that Murphy might have had a chance to unseat Ferguson sometime this season considering Ferguson's struggles at times.

At least Murphy is walking around though which is great news.

Members online

Latest posts