Moves that would help the EFENSE.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last but not least drafting the best corner available to cover ppl. I need someone over 6foot, and fast and physical. Good ball skills.

In all honesty, the Packers shouldn't be favored in any of their remaining games outside of the Chicago Bears. If the Pack could find a way to go 5-11, they might get a shot at Jabril Peppers!

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In all honesty, the Packers shouldn't be favored in any of their remaining games outside of the Chicago Bears. If the Pack could find a way to go 5-11, they might get a shot at Jabril Peppers!

Packers will make the Playoffs and win the division at 9-7. The only Peppers that will ever be in Green Bay is Julius. Sorry to disappoint Jabril fans but he will in up in Chicago .

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't mind Rodell. He is just the forum's wild optimist.

:rolleyes:

I try to stay optimistic too, but I see a road game vs. Philly, a beating at the hands of the Seahawks, a road game vs. Detroit and a Minnesota team with a strong defense that'll stifle the Packers "offense". And that's not even including a game against a Texans team that could look good at times.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Generally, I believe you win with players not plays. With one or two exceptions, I have no problem with the scheme.

After about 5 years of top tier draft picks in the front seven, they are starting to come together well. I would not make major changes. I would like to see less "packaging". Put your best seven out there, see what they can do, and spell them when they need it. I wonder how often the defense is gassed more by running on and off the field than by playing in the trenches?

As for the secondary, I'll give birth to a cow if TT and both MMs come out of the next draft with more "ballhawk" DBs. For gosh sake, let's get some athletes in there and line them up! I'd rather see our guys get burned in man coverage than watch WRs waltz across the field in front those "ballhawk" safeties. Any of you guys remember Harris and Woodson on an island? By the way, neither was a Packer draft pick.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out all this peppers hype. He's a ridiculous athlete, yes. He doesn't have a real position. He's not a safety and he's not a linebacker. He also gets caught up in blocks too much. Not sure where he fits on this team.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting caught up in blocks too much. He wouldn't stand-out that way. :coffee:
LMAO! I mean don't get me wrong, he's an elite athlete and has seriously improved his tackling this year. He just doesn't have the deep coverage ability and I see him being a tweener linebacker or an in box safety. We seriously need cornerback, running back, and tight end help.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk is done and for sure not the solution to the Packers defensive struggles.
It amazes me that any serious writer would even suggest that Hawk be resigned here... or anywhere. Just this year he has been cut by the Bengals and then didn't even last 2 weeks with the Falcons.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with keeping Peppers one more year at a good price and trading Clay. Clay's peaked and on the downhill slide. Need to get bigger, much as we all hate the Cowboys, their line is flat dominating, just like they did in the 90's. Forget the smaller quick O lineman, get road graders and a bad *** fullback. Do any of us feel confident with this team running the ball on 4th and a long 1? Or stopping it? Forget the 3-4 because we can't play it and we can't coach it. And please can we have an offensive game plan that is more complex than the average High School offense?

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay got stonewalled by a backup LT vs the Skins all game long. He's not durable enough, or good enough to be getting the money he is anymore.

Reaction score
Perry needs clay to perform.
There is much truth to this theory. One of the best known examples of the "tandem" concept is Derrick Thomas for KC and it showed clearly what happens when 1 Stellar pass rusher is taken away

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kansas...city-chiefs/article1272902.html?client=safari

When we do decide to part with Peppers or CM3, we'd better be prepared for another serious drop in production unless we replace him with a similar type veteran true pass rusher.

Last edited:

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that I want this to happen, but does anyone know what the cap hit would be for cutting CM3? How much of his guaranteed money has been paid already?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that I want this to happen, but does anyone know what the cap hit would be for cutting CM3? How much of his guaranteed money has been paid already?

There is no reason to cut Matthews. The Packers currently have $8.75M in cap space. Peppers $10.5M comes off the books at the end of the year. Depending on who the Packers resign (Lang, Perry, Lacy, ect.) the Packers will have ample cap space to makes moves. Plus, looking over the roster, I don't see any big contracts on the horizon. The roster is void of young talent that is going to require a big contract.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no reason to cut Matthews. The Packers currently have $8.75M in cap space. Peppers $10.5M comes off the books at the end of the year. Depending on who the Packers resign (Lang, Perry, Lacy, ect.) the Packers will have ample cap space to makes moves. Plus, looking over the roster, I don't see any big contracts on the horizon. The roster is void of young talent that is going to require a big contract.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/

Although it's certainly possible that some of the young kids can really kick it up a notch or two (well, several), I'd say your post is almost right on, with one possible correction.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a 4-3 is more expensive to "get good" then a 3-4. You need two stud DE's in a 4-3 before its even considered "good". Stud DE's are paid more then stud 3-4 OLB's. You need the personnel to run a 4-3. You need 3 fast LB's who can cover sideline to sideline. a Safety that can drop down into the box at times to help defend the run. I think we'd be two years or so away from having true 4-3 personnel. Daniels would be a fine 4-3 DT though.

Staff online

Latest posts