More Expected From Neal

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

From JS Online:
Last season, the Packers were banking on Mike Neal to fill the void at defensive end after they decided not to re-sign Cullen Jenkins.
Neal, a second-round draft choice in 2010, suffered torn knee cartilage in mid-August. After returning in Game 10, Neal played 158 snaps in eight games and totaled eight tackles and two pressures.
The six defensive linemen that took snaps in 2011 registered 37½ pressures in 17 games. In 2010, the entire unit had 101½ pressures in 20 games.
"I used to concern myself with guys that are injured," said McCarthy. "Now I've learned to take a step back. All I've ever asked our guys is for availability and accountability. Mike's had availability issues due to his injuries.
"There's promise there, but it's going to be a bigger challenge for him. I'm sure there's going to be a lot more competition for him to deal with this year."

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is the primary reason why TT wont go offense for at lest the first couple picks. If Neal doesn't show vast improvement he'll get cut.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sucks for a guy like Neal who showed some promise, to have basically wasted his first two seasons. If I'm not mistaken he hasn't played more than a handful of games healthy.

After two years of this I think there's real reason to think he's another guy like Harrel was...for whatever reason just doesn't have the body to take the abuse a player is subjected to in the NFL.

I hope he can come into camp next year and prove everyone wrong though...certainly not out of the realm of possibilities.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
That comment that there would be a lot more competition for him stuck in my mind.

touche. I hope Neal can comeback from his injury and be productive. At the same time I also hope that not everybody is counting on it enough to think that the D-line doesn't need addressing. There needs to be somebody brought in on the D-line regardless. Even if Neal ends up being a great player with a good offseason, Pickett is getting up there and probably not going to be around for much longer

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Sometimes your just unlucky. I am sure Neil is more frustrated than any of us. I hope he can stay healthy and If he does I hope hey can Live up to the expectations we all have. But I also hope and expect we will be drafting his future replacement or backup.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the guy, like Harrell, had a lot of ability and potential.
But some guys, no matter how strong they appear, are actually brittle.
We had the opposite in #4 for so many years.
These 2 guys are brittle, evidence would suggest.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember that TT was criticised for the 2nd round mike neal pick in 09, it was labeled as a reach, I hope he pans out, but cj wilson, 7th round pick has been healthy and available and decent enough to fill in...I doubt the packers will miss mike neal, injured or cut

sent from my rooted evo4g

OP
OP
13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope his poor play last season can be explained by the injury or conditioning. He spent more time on the ground than the Lambeau Field turf. The way he got pushed around was embarrasing. :(

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I remember that TT was criticised for the 2nd round mike neal pick in 09, it was labeled as a reach, I hope he pans out, but cj wilson, 7th round pick has been healthy and available and decent enough to fill in...I doubt the packers will miss mike neal, injured or cut

sent from my rooted evo4g

Neal was taken in 2010. And there wasn't much DL depth in that class to begin with

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If Neal can return completely healthy I think he'll be very productive based upon the short period of time he was completely healthy. Can he return 100% from his injuries? If he can, can he stay healthy? Is he injury prone or unlucky regarding injuries? If he is, it doesn't matter whether it's his body type, DNA, or just bad luck: The result is the same.

armand34, I gotta disagree about CJ Wilson. He needs to significantly improve IMO and the proof of that is the stat quoted in the OP. In 2010 the DL averaged 5.1 pressures per game. In 2011 it averaged a pitiful 2.2 per game, less than half as many. McGinn writes Wilson played a little more than one-third of snaps and averaged one pressure every 113.4 snaps. That's not "decent enough" IMO and he needs to improve or be replaced. I heard Michael Lombardi on the radio this morning. He's at the combine and was asked which position is deepest. He didn't hesitate in answering DL. I hope the Packers grab one in the first three rounds and another later in the draft if DL is really that deep.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neal was taken in 2010. And there wasn't much DL depth in that class to begin with

I stand corrected, i tend to forget it's 2012...but geno atkins played well for cinci and got to a probowl this year and he was a 4th round pick...good job by cinci!

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I stand corrected, i tend to forget it's 2012...but geno atkins played well for cinci and got to a probowl this year and he was a 4th round pick...good job by cinci!

We could have drafted Jimmy Graham instead of Neal. Nobody could have stopped our offense

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A guy who has been unable to stay healthy for two straight years has to scare you. The Packers cannot rely on him to start at defensive end again. There needs to be a backup plan.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

From JS Online:
Last season, the Packers were banking on Mike Neal to fill the void at defensive end after they decided not to re-sign Cullen Jenkins.
Neal, a second-round draft choice in 2010, suffered torn knee cartilage in mid-August. After returning in Game 10, Neal played 158 snaps in eight games and totaled eight tackles and two pressures.
The six defensive linemen that took snaps in 2011 registered 37½ pressures in 17 games. In 2010, the entire unit had 101½ pressures in 20 games.
"I used to concern myself with guys that are injured," said McCarthy. "Now I've learned to take a step back. All I've ever asked our guys is for availability and accountability. Mike's had availability issues due to his injuries.
"There's promise there, but it's going to be a bigger challenge for him. I'm sure there's going to be a lot more competition for him to deal with this year."

...in other news, grass is green and the sky is blue.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I hope his poor play last season can be explained by the injury or conditioning. He spent more time on the ground than the Lambeau Field turf. The way he got pushed around was embarrasing. :(

See, this is what I remember too. I've heard others talk about 'potential' in Neal... but truthfully, I've never seen it first hand... all I've seen is one or two memorable plays and this: " He spent more time on the ground than the Lambeau Field turf. The way he got pushed around was embarrassing."

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with those who are feeling underwhelmed by Neal's play so far. Neal has shown flashes of brilliance, but I feel like we need to be a little more patient and see what he can do when healthy and with an off-season.

I do agree with picking up another DL in the draft, and if the guy can be a stud straight out of the gate, then awesome. If it's someone who needs a little more time to develop, then hopefully this off-season will prove fruitful for our defensive line and we'll see the turnaround we need.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The dropoff in DL pressure/sacks is key IMO. If we're not getting it from up the middle it makes it that much harder for CM3 and whoever is on the other side and that showed in what CM3 did last year. We need Raji in position and a Jenkins type player to get back where we were. Neal could possibly make the jump if he can stay on the field but it's too great of a risk to assume. I say "could" because often DL come into their own after a year or two. I would have no problem with TT going with the kid from Miss St. who can get the pressure from the middle. I like that idea more than an OLB at this point because with no pressure coming from inside the QB can move up in the pocket and avoid those outside guys. Besides, pressure straight at the QB always throws them off and gets them moving and that's when CM3 and his counterpart can do some damage and mop up.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Neal can return completely healthy I think he'll be very productive based upon the short period of time he was completely healthy. Can he return 100% from his injuries? If he can, can he stay healthy? Is he injury prone or unlucky regarding injuries? If he is, it doesn't matter whether it's his body type, DNA, or just bad luck: The result is the same.

armand34, I gotta disagree about CJ Wilson. He needs to significantly improve IMO and the proof of that is the stat quoted in the OP. In 2010 the DL averaged 5.1 pressures per game. In 2011 it averaged a pitiful 2.2 per game, less than half as many. McGinn writes Wilson played a little more than one-third of snaps and averaged one pressure every 113.4 snaps. That's not "decent enough" IMO and he needs to improve or be replaced. I heard Michael Lombardi on the radio this morning. He's at the combine and was asked which position is deepest. He didn't hesitate in answering DL. I hope the Packers grab one in the first three rounds and another later in the draft if DL is really that deep.

Man, I couldnt agree more with your thoughts here. I had high hopes for Neal when they drafted him. He was thought to be a real good try hard bullrusher type guy. The problem is he has an injury history as long as my arm going back to his HS days, bad shoulder and knee. That is going to be hard to overcome for a bullrusher type I would think. He's not a quick twitch athletic type guy but more a hulking, powerful, slow (bodybuilder playing football) type. That really doesnt work in the NFL.

As to the other guys they have, CJ Wilson, Wynn, Green, they arent a very good rotational group. They basically all suck.
Look at how the Giants D is so good. Its simple, they have a kick *** D-line that dominates(they draft them high every year and use FA as well). Everything else feeds off of the pressure and havoc it creates. The Packers are the opposite, no pressure and havoc and the rest of the D suffers bigtime from that void.

I would love it if the 1st five picks were all D line and one good OLB in there. With safety, CB, center and qb thrown in there too. We dont need a WR or RB, thats for sure.

Latest posts