Mock Draft

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Its 2am and I can’t sleep, so naturally put together my “expert” mock draft . Actually had a real difficult time in the first two rounds. Feel free to shred it apart, I really didn’t put more than an hour in the middle of the night to it:

Round 1 (14)- WR Calvin Ridley. I really, really want to pick a LB or CB here. Just looking at what is realistically available at #14, I can’t find one that is an immediate starter. Now maybe Ridley is off the table at this point too, but if he’s not, this is the best move I think Gute could make. Mourning the loss of Jordy Nelson, this is a **** pick for Packers fans. Davante, Cobb, Michael Clark, Allison, Ridley and Graham...if that does not give Rodgers enough weapons to win a super bowl, nothing will.

Round 2 (45)- OLB Lorenzo Carter. Really need an outside linebacker here. Bulk up this kid a bit and sit him behind CM3 and Nick Perry for a year to learn point of attack. Think he has a lot of potential and at 6’6 adding some size to that line backing core is helpful.

Round 3 (76)- CB Duke Dawson. Fast, natural athlete. Good replacement for Demarious Randall

Round 4 (101)- Trade to Eagles for Ronald Darby. Reports say they want a third rounder for him, but what is sexier than a third rounder? The first pick of Day 3.

Round 4 (133)- S Marcus Allen. If he is still on the boards, I think adding another safety is a good move for the Packers- Pending what happens with Morgan Burnett in FA.

Round 5(138)- TE Troy Fumagalli. Having picked up Jimmy Graham, I think this pick makes a lot of sense. He has some developing to do, but has great hands and field awareness. Not the best TE coming out of this draft, but a solid option late on day 3.

Round 5 (172)- OT/G Ike Boettger. Just looks like a Packers offensive lineman to backup the guys on the roster.

Round 5 (174)- ILB Mike McCray. Comes from a football family.

Round 6 (186)- WR/KR Bryon Pringle. 24 yards per reception and 28 yards per kick return. Kind of a turn around story, as he was in trouble with the law as a kid. Always love a K state player. Still have not gotten over Seattle jumping ahead of us a few spots to grab Tyler Lockette a few years back. We ended up with Ty Montgomery in that round, but probably would have rather Lockette.

Round 6 (188)- CB Andre Chachere.

Round 7 (232)-DT Justin Jones

Round 7 (239)- C Jake Bennett

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All very possible picks. Agree on Ridley. May be our best option. CB is now clearly our biggest need. Hope we dont jump our board because of it.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
All very possible picks. Agree on Ridley. May be our best option. CB is now clearly our biggest need. Hope we dont jump our board because of it.
That’s why I really value that trade with the Eagles to get Darby.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great mock, Darby would be awesome for the first day 3 pick. Im just hoping that either Ward or James are still on the board at 14, but I doubt it. IF James is still on the board at 14, I'd instantly take him. Imagine bringing him in together with Darby, our secondary would immediately be solid. Add in mid round picks for EDGE and WR and I'd be over the moon

EDIT: I would like to add that trading for Darby has become increasingly unlikely after Patrick Robinson was priced out of Philly. Apparently Mychal Kendricks is on the trade block though.

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robinson only got 4 years 20 million, 10 million guranteed. That seems like a super reasonable contract for a starting nickel corner who had 4 picks and 18 passes defensed in 2017. The eagles still have a abundance of corners. So maybe there's still a chance for Darby depending on how bad they wanna get back into day 2. Also that contract makes me optimistic the Packers will at least land rashaan Melvin as he can't be in line for a better deal than that

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First 4 rounds only

R1P14

CB DENZEL WARD
OHIO STATE
45: R2P13

CB MIKE HUGHES
CENTRAL FLORIDA
76: R3P12

EDGE ARDEN KEY
LSU
101: R4P1

LB OREN BURKS
VANDERBILT
133: R4P33

WR JAVON WIMS
GEORGIA

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First 4 rounds only

R1P14

CB DENZEL WARD
OHIO STATE

CB MIKE HUGHES
CENTRAL FLORIDA

EDGE ARDEN KEY
LSU

LB OREN BURKS
VANDERBILT

WR JAVON WIMS
GEORGIA

If a mock looks too good, you know its not gonna happen :( I unfortunately dont see Ward, Hughes and Key last to our 1st 2nd and 3rd pick respectively

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hughes could make it to the 2nd...it's not likely, but not that crazy either.

Ward won't be there imo, but who knows. I don't want Key at all.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hughes could make it to the 2nd...it's not likely, but not that crazy either.

Ward won't be there imo, but who knows. I don't want Key at all.

Hughes at #45 would be sweet. Hard to imagine. I guess maybe if he gets jumped by taller guys like Davis or Oliver.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hughes at #45 would be sweet. Hard to imagine. I guess maybe if he gets jumped by taller guys like Davis or Oliver.
There are 30 guys who will certainly be gone at 45. Another 20 guys who likely be gone. That leaves 5 guys who are there that surprise me. Hopefully, one of them is Hughes.

I am on board with the first 3 picks. Don't know much about the other 2.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't want Key at all.

It might be smart for the Packers to consider taking a gamble on prospects possibly having an immediate impact that have isues off the field. I wouldn't want the team to draft Key at #14, would think about it in the second round and would definitely pull the trigger on him in the third.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might be smart for the Packers to consider taking a gamble on prospects possibly having an immediate impact that have isues off the field. I wouldn't want the team to draft Key at #14, would think about it in the second round and would definitely pull the trigger on him in the third.
I agree wasn’t Key a projected 1st rd a while ago?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Antonio Callaway

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First 4 rounds only

R1P14

CB DENZEL WARD
OHIO STATE

CB MIKE HUGHES
CENTRAL FLORIDA

EDGE ARDEN KEY
LSU

LB OREN BURKS
VANDERBILT

WR JAVON WIMS
GEORGIA

Not gonna happen. Ward will be gone by #14. Hughes will go in the 1st round, and Arden Key in the 2nd.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Normally I would agree, but Key is way too much of a head case for me. If we didn't have a lot of needs I'd try it, but we do.

I think once that guy gets money he's done.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
With Key, you not only have the off-field concerns, you also have a lot of bad tape and the fact that he’s only really been good when he’s weighed in the 230’s. He was 238 at the combine and his testing wasn’t even that remarkable. I would pass on that guy all day long, even in the 4th.

D

Deleted member 6794

Normally I would agree, but Key is way too much of a head case for me. If we didn't have a lot of needs I'd try it, but we do.

The Packers have a desperate need at edge rusher and could add a first round talent in Key. I would be in favor of taking a gamble on him.

With Key, you not only have the off-field concerns, you also have a lot of bad tape and the fact that he’s only really been good when he’s weighed in the 230’s. He was 238 at the combine and his testing wasn’t even that remarkable. I would pass on that guy all day long, even in the 4th.

Key is widely regarded as a first round talent. It wouldn't be smart to pass on a player like that at a position of need on the third day of the draft.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's Randy Gregory.

Very talented, will probably never play.
I think the only chance is if he drops into the 3rd or the fourth round and it causes him to have a revelation. He may strive to get that big contract before loafing.

I think I would try him in the 3rd. Big gamble likely to fail, but if you hit, you just got a dominant impact player in the 3rd. That's pretty good.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers have a desperate need at edge rusher and could add a first round talent in Key. I would be in favor of taking a gamble on him.

Key is widely regarded as a first round talent. It wouldn't be smart to pass on a player like that at a position of need on the third day of the draft.

Key is widely regarded as a guy who has flashed first round talent on occasion in the midst of large swaths of uninspired tape, especially in 2017.

When he was at his best, he was playing in the 230's which is not a functional weight for an NFL edge player. He got big this most recent year, and was at his least effective. He spent a lot of time loafing on the field, giving effort when it suited him.

He's been billed as a freak athlete and then showed up to the combine at 238 and nothing about his workout was freaky.

He left the program at one point over personal baggage.

I just can't see the upside given all of these risk factors. You've got off-field concerns, weight concerns, poor tape, size, and athleticism issues all combining on one prospect. If he succeeds, I'll frankly be shocked. Guys of this profile so often bust.

I immediately think of a guy like Randy Gregory, who has done exactly nothing in the two years since the Cowboys invested a 2nd round pick. Robert Nkemdiche is another one that comes to mind. Even the guys who had these sorts of issues that were "successful" like Aldon Smith and Aaron Lynch were mere flashes in the pan before their issues caught up to them. Even just considering the physical profile, 6'6" edge players in the 230's don't play in the league. Dion Jordan was a huge bust, and he's a lot more athletic than Key. Barkevious Mingo is another light edge player who was far more athletic than Key and can't hack it.

I'm not trying to bicker about this. If you think he'd be a value, that's fine. But the above is why I would stay far, far away. If we want a high upside, athletic edge prospect in the 2nd I would 100X rather draft Josh Sweat or Lorenzo Carter. Neither really lived up to that athleticism in college, but they are at least the freaks in reality that Key is only be reputation.

D

Deleted member 6794

Key is widely regarded as a guy who has flashed first round talent on occasion in the midst of large swaths of uninspired tape, especially in 2017.

When he was at his best, he was playing in the 230's which is not a functional weight for an NFL edge player. He got big this most recent year, and was at his least effective. He spent a lot of time loafing on the field, giving effort when it suited him.

He's been billed as a freak athlete and then showed up to the combine at 238 and nothing about his workout was freaky.

He left the program at one point over personal baggage.

I just can't see the upside given all of these risk factors. You've got off-field concerns, weight concerns, poor tape, size, and athleticism issues all combining on one prospect. If he succeeds, I'll frankly be shocked. Guys of this profile so often bust.

I immediately think of a guy like Randy Gregory, who has done exactly nothing in the two years since the Cowboys invested a 2nd round pick. Robert Nkemdiche is another one that comes to mind. Even the guys who had these sorts of issues that were "successful" like Aldon Smith and Aaron Lynch were mere flashes in the pan before their issues caught up to them. Even just considering the physical profile, 6'6" edge players in the 230's don't play in the league. Dion Jordan was a huge bust, and he's a lot more athletic than Key. Barkevious Mingo is another light edge player who was far more athletic than Key and can't hack it.

I'm not trying to bicker about this. If you think he'd be a value, that's fine. But the above is why I would stay far, far away. If we want a high upside, athletic edge prospect in the 2nd I would 100X rather draft Josh Sweat or Lorenzo Carter. Neither really lived up to that athleticism in college, but they are at least the freaks in reality that Key is only be reputation.

There's no doubt there are a ton of red flags with Key but I would like the Packers to take a gamble on him in the third or fourth round if he drops that far. At that point he would be the prospect with by far the most potential available.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There's no doubt there are a ton of red flags with Key but I would like the Packers to take a gamble on him in the third or fourth round if he drops that far. At that point he would be the prospect with by far the most potential available.

That's fair; it's just not what I would do.

Here's hoping the Cowboys take him at #50!

D

Deleted member 6794

Key might have a better chance being okay in Green Bay, than another city where trouble is around every corner. I'd take a 3rd round chance on him.

There have been numerous players who got into trouble in Green Bay as well.

Members online

Latest posts