Mock Draft 1.0- Kyra

Reaction score
Doubling up on edge prospects would be way outside the norm for what defenses have done with Mike Pettine as DC. If you look back over his history, teams that hired him to run the defense have prioritized corner, iDL, and linebacker. That doesn't set anything in stone, but it's worth considering.
Ideally id like to see 3 of these 4 positions addressed in FA with starting caliber players...OLB, OG, WR, Safety. Then hit the missing one day 1 draft.
I’d also use day 3 for some depth at those positions

D

Deleted member 6794

Also while fackrell is quality depth another guy in the front 7 is a liability and that's Blake Martinez. I think the Packers need a real ilb that attacks things and makes plays. Martinez is way too often, just there, making tackles way downfield. Enter Devin White

Martinez is definitely a good inside linebacker defending the run, the Packers might need an upgrade in coverage at the position though.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think that it is a good idea to give up your best Tackler in Martinez. He isnt the star player that does crazy things, but he is a more than solid ILB.
For some better coverage maybe Mack Wilson out of Bama would fit. I only started to "analyze " some possible draftees but Wilson seems to have a really high ceiling, especially as an coverage ILB. Projected at being a 1-2 rounder, he may be available at 30 or 44. He could bring the skills, everyone hoped Burks would bring in.
I like the Wilkerson resign, because the defense was better with him on the field. Pettine relies heavily on the DL to generate pressure, so maybe it makes the most sense to draft a DL in the 1st round. Drafting two EDGE guys in the first makes no sense to me tbh. EDGE OLB seems like a position to fix in FA and with a mid round pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

Drafting two EDGE guys in the first makes no sense to me tbh. EDGE OLB seems like a position to fix in FA and with a mid round pick.

I don't advocate for the Packers to spend both first rounders on edge defenders but it's pretty expensive to improve the position in free agency and a mid round pick won't be enough to upgrade a dire need.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
We have to remember (even in the top 10, which we do not own a top 10 pick currently) guys can bust or get hurt. Obviously we still have a month to see if CM3 gets resigned and a month and a few weeks before the draft (though we will likely find out during legal tampering) if we sign any OLBs, but we have already heard reports that Nick Perry is a goner if he does not take a pay cut. Honestly, it’s in his best interest to take a pay cut, because no one will pay an underproductive OLB with injury concerns the money TT threw his way.

If Nick and Clay are gone, that leaves Donnerson and Fackrell as our OLB. If the Packers do not sign an OLB in FA due to cap restraints, we have to draft two edge rushers as it becomes an immediate need.

D

Deleted member 6794

We have to remember (even in the top 10, which we do not own a top 10 pick currently) guys can bust or get hurt. Obviously we still have a month to see if CM3 gets resigned and a month and a few weeks before the draft (though we will likely find out during legal tampering) if we sign any OLBs, but we have already heard reports that Nick Perry is a goner if he does not take a pay cut. Honestly, it’s in his best interest to take a pay cut, because no one will pay an underproductive OLB with injury concerns the money TT threw his way.

If Nick and Clay are gone, that leaves Donnerson and Fackrell as our OLB. If the Packers do not sign an OLB in FA due to cap restraints, we have to draft two edge rushers as it becomes an immediate need.

Edge rusher is an immediate need even if the Packers hold on to Perry.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Reggie Gilbert has got to be ahead of Donnerson. Donnerson is our most athletic guy on the team, which makes you wonder why he wasnt more successful in college.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

Reaction score
Reggie Gilbert has got to be ahead of Donnerson. Donnerson is our most athletic guy on the team, which makes you wonder why he wasnt more successful in college.
Isn’t Gilbert a FA? I think we would have to resign him if I’m not mistaken.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They'll likely retain him, just because we need bodies at that position. I'm hoping they find upgrades and make him expendable. I was pretty high on him. Thought he should have made the 53 2 years ago, and he was eventually brought back near the end of the season. he made it last year and I thought he'd work his way up, but it became apparent he is a very big liability in the run game and is limited in pass rush. He's ok in a pinch, but unless he really proves himself and beats out other quality players, he's someone we should be looking to replace.

D

Deleted member 6794

I show him as an exclusive rights FA, which essentially means they can keep him for the minimum. Right, WIMM? :)

You're right, Gilbert is an exclusive rights free agent. The Packers can tender him at the minimum salary of $570K (no guarantees) without him being allowed to negotiate with another team.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

Reaction score
As the combine finished up, I like this overall, but don’t think we could pass on Devin White or Brian Burns should they be available at 12.