1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

MM - Coach of the Year Candidate

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by BorderRivals.com, Dec 19, 2013.

1. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    This from Don Banks:

Coach of the Year
    1. Mike McCarthy, Green Bay Packers (NR): The Packers lost arguably the best quarterback in the game, yet have found a way to go 2-0-1 in the last three games and now control their own destiny in the NFC North (the Packers owe a hat tip to the Lions for blowing an eminently winnable game Monday). Green Bay has been devastated by injuries and yet has won enough games to put it in a position to not only make the playoffs, but win its division. The 23-point comeback in Dallas wasn't all on Tony Romo and Jason Garrett's incompetence, as McCarthy -- who calls the plays -- helped the Packers score on all five second-half drives. If Green Bay wins out, McCarthy ought to be the choice here.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20131218/nfl-award-watch-week-15/#ixzz2nw94kvp0

I'm not sure where I stand on this. I've always thought highly of MM, but I don't think I'm on board with this. I'd probably go Ron Rivera for the Panthers.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,843
    The article is actually from Peter Bukowski, for what it´s worth.

While I like MM I don´t think he should be considered for the Coach of the year award. I´m surprised Ron Rivera is not one of his three choices.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,871
    Andy Reid. Then everyone else. To go from worst to one of the best is amazing.

what he did in KC may be one of the greatest franchise turn arounds in my lifetime. He is now my example for how important good coaching is to a teams success.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013
    I'm ok with MM but imo i've always thought he was overrated and that #12 could make alot of coaches look good. It's gotta be Ron Rivera or Andy Reid. Two sorry teams last yr that will be in the playoffs this year. If Dallas runs the ball MM isn't even on the ballet.

5. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    while I like MM, he in no way should even be in consideration for the award. Andy reid should be a front runner.

6. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,314
    I think McCarthy had one hell-of-a-lot to do with Rodgers being as good as he is but no, he shouldn't be in the discussion for coach of the year IMO.

[tangent]Before last season Hub Arkush named KC as his surprise (good) team in the AFC. I don't get to listen to him as much as I used to, but I'm sure he caught hell for that prediction. The performance of the Chiefs shows two things IMO: Arkush was right about the talent and as AmishMafia posted, good coaching is very important. [/tangent]

7. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +219
    Yikes! Really? No way. Gotta go with the old walrus Andy Reid on this one.

8. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    Here's my thing on KC - they had a lot of talent on that team last year (something like 7 PB's). So, this wasn't the typical worst team in the league from that perspective. And they signed a QB that is pretty solid for that system and is surrounded by one of the best in the league in Charles and a good WR that is woefully underutilized in Bowe. On defense, they have a ton of talent: Berry, Hali, Houston...

So as good as Reid has done, I think it's overblown. Remember, their undefeated start was the result of playing no one with a winning record. For these reasons, I think Rivera gets the nod. Carolina has a star in Cam and then just a bunch of very solid players that are playing very well together. Plus, Rivera has made numerous critical calls to go for it on 4th down, etc. that have played important parts in winning so many games. To me, he's a bigger reason for their success than Reid is to KC.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,674
    I would consider Mike if:
    He would have had them kick the extra point against Minny instead of going for 2. Woulda been a game winner instead of tie.
    Throw the ball instead of running on the final possession/drive against Atlanta. Do that and maybe we wouldn't have had to punt.
    Run it in on 2 pointers instead of always throwing which, up to this point, has always failed.
    Won more games after losing Air-run.
    Started Flynn instead of Tolzein.

Just way too many mishaps to consider Mike as COTY.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  10. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    If we win the division I think he should be top 3 coaches of the year

11. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,132
    I can not overstate how bad KC was at the QB position lady year on top of some major injuries. I am not surprised if they make the playoffs this year with Alex smith. Alex smith doesn't win games for you, he just doesn't lose them for you.

12. TA63

TA63 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +7
    Lol, no

13. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +387
    Mike McCarthy: Uh, no.

Andy Reid: Brought sound management and molded the considerable talent KC had been stockpiling over the past few years into a winner. Soft schedule helped them. He'll probably win it but I tend to agree with BorderRivals on this one: he's getting a lot of credit for bringing competency to an organization that has had a series of bad coaches.

Ron Rivera: I thought he was going to get canned earlier this year. The turnaround in Cam Newton's efficiency and sideline demeanor is remarkable. Probably my choice for COY.

14. NorthWestCheeseHead

NorthWestCheeseHead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +374
    Read the thread about how the tie affects us in the standings. Actually having the tie on the record is doing way more to help us make the playoffs than a win in MN would have done.

15. PackerFlatLander

PackerFlatLander Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +294
    Absolutely agreed.

16. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,069
    The smart thing to do with a lead late is run the ball to burn clock, especially with a good running game. Throw it and maybe the Falcons have a lot more time. And they did pass on third down to try and end the game.

I'd bet most coaches would have gone for two as well. Two scores, with how bad the offense was playing at that point, was much more likely than three.

17. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,490
    That's your criteria for COTY? Kicking an XP in a situation where every coach in the league would have gone for 2, and count on having 2 more scoring drives left in the final quarter?

This is the very definition of 20 20 hind sight. It would have been the most second-guessed move of the year if he had kicked the extra point and lost by 2 in the end.

Also I brought up in another thread that it turns out there was almost no difference in our current situation if we had won that game instead of tied.