Mini Camp

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand the April camp is to check on the offseason conditioning and introduce rookies and issue playbooks.

Other than the progress of the rookies and correcting conditioning problems, like Luchey.

What is the purpose of the June camp?

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe to welcome back NFLE players and get ready for training camp. Perhaps a pre-training camp evaluation of conditioning and whatnot.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
keep the rust off?

keep the chemistry nice and fluid?

the pro athlete's salary is exorbitant to say the least. im surprised their vacations last as long as they do...of course the NFL season is easily the most demanding on the body of all professional sports.

so i guess they have it down by now. a reasonable time in between resting the body long enough to keep it fresh, but not too long as to lose sight of valuable conditioning for the next season.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I don't know if I'd call it vacation. Football is a year-round sport. In order to play from Sept - Jan you have to eat right and train all year.

You don't just not lift weights and maintain proper nutrition for 6 months. Most of the really good players are doing something all year round.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
Well, I don't know if I'd call it vacation. Football is a year-round sport. In order to play from Sept - Jan you have to eat right and train all year.

You don't just not lift weights and maintain proper nutrition for 6 months. Most of the really good players are doing something all year round.

and those fat *** linemen? hahaha...

naw i know what you mean, but if you're not at work, and you're not at home, chances are you're on vacation.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Californiacheez. It is called minicamp. Which means it was held 5 days. They do run warmup drills for each position and team drills. They wear shorts and helmets, but don't wear any pads etc.. The Packer defense have a new Defensive Co-ordinator Jim Bates, Packer defensive schemes will change. The coaches will be evaluating the players immediately during minicamp. but no decisions will be made until pads go on in Training camp. The April minicamp are consider the first practices of the new season. From Green Bay Press-Gazette's articles on mini camp. (it was closed to the public.) quote: " Jim Bates introduced his unusual version of his 4-3 defense at minicamp in April. JIm Bates Packer's new defensive co-ordinator, and several new assistants were teaching an entirely new defensive system than the team has run for the last five years. ---Aaron Rodger during his first practice fired pass after pass to receivers during warm up drills. On each throw, Rodgers showed the kind of quick release and arm strength that is usually seen in Green Bay when Brett Farve is in town.. As sharp as Rodgers looked throwing during, warmup drills, he struggled during team drills, which Rossley (Packer's offensive co-ordinator) said was to be expected. unquote --The players went home from April mini camp and are expected to keep up with the physical conditioning and study their Packer playbook. They come back to Green Bay for June minicamp and go through the same process again. They must study the Packer playbook and are expected to be in the best shape they can be in, during the next 10 weeks before Training camp starts in July. I will be observing the next minicamp sessions in June and training camp sessions in July & August. I live in DePere, 4 miles from lambeau Field and am semi retired. So I have time to take in many of the sessions. I will file my posting with this Packer Forum web site on what is going on in Green Bay during the summer Training camp. Hope I was able to help you concerning Packer's mini camp. If you have any questions about anything concerning The Green Bay Packer franchise, please ask.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Californiacheez. Sorry my first posting didn't help with your understanding of purpose of June Training camp. I was probably too wordy and too basic .Your first Post about your understanding of training camp was correct and important part of minicamp. Mini camps are more comprehensive than that. Mincamps considered the first two training sessions of the '05 season but without pads. Everything takes place during these minicamps just like summer training camp session but no hitting. Position drills, team drills, etc.. Jim Bates is introducing his new defense to the Packer defensive players and trying to determine what personal is is going to start and who will be backups (Tenatively during mini camp, final decision are made during regular training camp.) Packer offense will have a few changes too. especially in the OL at the both guard positions. And who knows about Walker's holdout. Hopefully, a player at W.R. to replace him during his hold out will not be needed. Rossley will be evaluating these things during minicamp but with an eye on his prized # 1 draft choice Q.B. Aaron Rodgers of California. I'm sure you know all about him, I would like to hear your evaluation of him. All aspects of the games get work on in mini camp including special teams which includes a holder for F.G.s for Longwell, which during mini camp is Aaron Rodgers.I hope this posting was better than the first at explaining what went on in April mini camp and what will go in June minicamp.

Members online

Latest posts