Miles Killebrew.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I found our tweener. This guy is 6'3" 230 and plays safety. He lays wood and is very quick for his size. Here's some video.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As suspected, the Deone Buchannon effect lol. I don't think every team suddenly needs a safety playing out of position as an undersized ILB.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As suspected, the Deone Buchannon effect lol. I don't think every team suddenly needs a safety playing out of position as an undersized ILB.

I don't think 6'3" 230 is really undersized for a linebacker. Telvin Smith is 6'3"/218lbs one of the fastest linebackers in the league, and his coverage is outstanding. I look at him like that since he can run a 4.45 40 yard dash.

Edit: Luke Kuechly is 235lb. So he's not undersized at all.

Last edited:

Caleb Hendricks

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree that I don't think every team needs this kind of player. But the Packers would greatly benefit from one. This kind of guy would fit PERFECTLY in the Dom Capers scheme. As much as he likes to move guys around, having a versatile guy like this would help in so many different ways. A guy who can cover RB's out of the backfield, matchup with TE's, and has good range and speed to help take away the underneath crossing routes that beat us on 3rd down all season. We have plenty of run stopping style ILB's, now we need someone who is better in coverage and who can still play the role of a run stopper.

Caleb Hendricks

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's alittle piece from an article on NFL.com. This concept actually started in GB.

"During my time as a defensive back with the Green Bay Packers, I had the opportunity to watch defensive coordinator Fritz Shurmur work his magic on the blackboard each week, designing clever schemes to slow down the opponent. One of the ideas that he used to help the Packers field the NFL's top-ranked defense in 1996 was a unique nickel defense that featured three safeties (Eugene Robinson, Mike Prior and LeRoy Butler) on the field simultaneously. Although it wasn't unusual to use five defensive backs on obvious passing downs, Shurmur's willingness to play Butler -- Green Bay's starting strong safety -- as a nickel back allowed him to deploy his best defensive back in coverage on tight ends and slot receivers, while also using him on blitzes off the edge. The strategy helped the '96 Packers hold opponents to just 13.1 points per game and total 26 interceptions against only 12 touchdown passes allowed."

Caleb Hendricks

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Personally, I like Jeremy Cash from Duke. He is the same style of player as Killebrew, but playing in the ACC he was exposed to both pass heavy and run heavy teams, and not to mention the fact that the talent level is much better as well. Just in this video alone we see him line up all over the field, whether it be out at safety, in the slot, or lined up inside. 101 tackles, 18 TFL, and 3 Forced Fumbles this last season, so he has shown production as a tackler, which we desperately need as well.

Reaction score
Here's alittle piece from an article on NFL.com. This concept actually started in GB.

"During my time as a defensive back with the Green Bay Packers, I had the opportunity to watch defensive coordinator Fritz Shurmur work his magic on the blackboard each week, designing clever schemes to slow down the opponent. One of the ideas that he used to help the Packers field the NFL's top-ranked defense in 1996 was a unique nickel defense that featured three safeties (Eugene Robinson, Mike Prior and LeRoy Butler) on the field simultaneously. Although it wasn't unusual to use five defensive backs on obvious passing downs, Shurmur's willingness to play Butler -- Green Bay's starting strong safety -- as a nickel back allowed him to deploy his best defensive back in coverage on tight ends and slot receivers, while also using him on blitzes off the edge. The strategy helped the '96 Packers hold opponents to just 13.1 points per game and total 26 interceptions against only 12 touchdown passes allowed."
I said virtually the same thing early in the season. We need more full court press. while teams focus on CM3 And Julius it leaves a SS type player the ability to come off the edge with more speed. This would be especially disruptive against running QBs like Wilson and Bridgewater because theyre used to outrunning 4.6-4.9 speed rushers. A 4.5 rusher at full tilt adds another degree of difficulty and speeds up the decision making process for the opposing QB. Our secondary play is vastly improved and our TO ratio becomes our strength again. If the play turns to run? Having adequate speed to meet the runner at or behind LOS improves our positioning on first contact with the runner, slowing him down for a LB or DE to finish him off.
We also need to compliment this with better anti ball security measures. Stripping, tearing and punching the ball out while the runner is vulnerable needs to improve. The league has a clear allowance for punching it out and rarely calls a penalty for that aggression. The great Defenses separate themselves from the common body with a common denominator of forced fumbles during gang tackles.
Your point is very good IMO

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Personally, I like Jeremy Cash from Duke. He is the same style of player as Killebrew, but playing in the ACC he was exposed to both pass heavy and run heavy teams, and not to mention the fact that the talent level is much better as well. Just in this video alone we see him line up all over the field, whether it be out at safety, in the slot, or lined up inside. 101 tackles, 18 TFL, and 3 Forced Fumbles this last season, so he has shown production as a tackler, which we desperately need as well.

A lot of people like Cash. I honestly haven't looked at him yet, but I do like how Miles already plays, has the better size, and looks like a linebacker. It's all going to depend on how he performs at the combine and senior bowl. I think his stock is going to sky rocket though so we might now get a crack at him.

D

Deleted member 6794

I´d rather have the Packers use an early draft pick on a true inside linebacker than gamble on a tweener.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
These are the kind of picks that normally don't pan out, but one that if its a player that potentially could fill a position of need in a big way, like ILB, would be worth the gamble of a late round (5-7) pick if he is still around. I would rather see rolling the dice on a guy like this late, then taking a player that ends up sitting on the PS and/or has no impact on the team. Which in hindsight, is probably what most 5th -7th rounders are, "could be that diamond in the rough".

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´d rather have the Packers use an early draft pick on a true inside linebacker than gamble on a tweener.

He's not even a real tweener. It's not like he's a safety that can hit hard and that's it. The guy is built like a linebacker and I'm sure playing safety allowed him to learn how to read defenses. The guy can tackle, move laterally, and cover the middle of the field. I honestly don't think he stays at safety in the NFL.

In fact, scouts say he's more talented that Deone Bucannon and Shaq Thompson.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watch him blow up the combine and be out of our range anyways :roflmao: Reading more about him, he looks like one of those guys that could go from "who the crap is that?" to 1st round pick overnight. That was Demarious Randall for me last year. Will never again be wild about the idea of converting an early pick to a new position though.

D

Deleted member 6794

He's not even a real tweener. It's not like he's a safety that can hit hard and that's it. The guy is built like a linebacker and I'm sure playing safety allowed him to learn how to read defenses. The guy can tackle, move laterally, and cover the middle of the field. I honestly don't think he stays at safety in the NFL.

In fact, scouts say he's more talented that Deone Bucannon and Shaq Thompson.

I haven´t had time to take a close look at this year´s prospects but as I´ve posted above with the Packers defense possibly being one or two good inside linebackers away from being an elite unit I´d prefer to use an early draft pick on a guy who has played the position in college.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I haven´t had time to take a close look at this year´s prospects but as I´ve posted above with the Packers defense possibly being one or two good inside linebackers away from being an elite unit I´d prefer to use an early draft pick on a guy who has played the position in college.

I second that. I firmly believe that ILB and TE are the 2 positions of highest need and hope to see our first 2 picks go that way. LT being the 3rd position of need. However, this has got to be the year that TT dips into the FA market, opens his purse and takes care of at least 1 (if not 2) out of those 3 positions there.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Eh, I just don't want another 4.8 40 linebacker who can't keep up with offensive lineman and can't play coverage. I'm really worried about grabbing a bunch of AJ Hawks just because they played the position.

D

Deleted member 6794

I second that. I firmly believe that ILB and TE are the 2 positions of highest need and hope to see our first 2 picks go that way. LT being the 3rd position of need. However, this has got to be the year that TT dips into the FA market, opens his purse and takes care of at least 1 (if not 2) out of those 3 positions there.

I agree about the team´s two biggest needs but it´s possible others will be in more desperate need of an upgrade than backup LT depending on what happens in free agency.

D

Deleted member 6794

Eh, I just don't want another 4.8 40 linebacker who can't keep up with offensive lineman and can't play coverage. I'm really worried about grabbing a bunch of AJ Hawks just because they played the position.

I don´t want the Packers to bring in someone to play inside linebacker not capable of covering TEs and RBs as well but don´t want Thompson to draft a tweener just because he´s fast either.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don´t want the Packers to bring in someone to play inside linebacker not capable of covering TEs and RBs as well but don´t want Thompson to draft a tweener just because he´s fast either.

I'm not saying bring him in because he's fast. I'm saying bring him in because he has great instincts, he's the perfect size and speed combo for a successful coverage linebacker, he's played safety so he's used to reading the offense, he's used to coverage, and he's not a sloppy tackler.

I understand we won't agree on this, I just believe he's going to be a great player and not just a tweener. He's going to jump up the boards though and we probably won't get good value on him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With our 1st round pick, I say absolutely not. With our 3rd I say absolutely try it. It is if he is there in the 2nd that I'm iffy on....he is a BANG or bust probably

Reaction score
With our 1st round pick, I say absolutely not. With our 3rd I say absolutely try it. It is if he is there in the 2nd that I'm iffy on....he is a BANG or bust probably

I agree completely. If TT makes a move in FA it changes things but we all know that's unlikely. 1st round is out of the question but in the deep second I would think about it hard. This guy is legit perfect for the position. I would say no brainer in the third. What scares me is I read the Seahawks have been all over him already. He has that mean streak could be a serious addition to what I believe will be a good defense next year already for us.