Mike Neal?

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't able to catch the game today was at work unfortunately so I was wondering how Neal played? I had heard prior to the game he was active.

Was his presence evident?
How was his speed / pass rush / run stop etc...

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't know how many snaps he played.. wasn't that many, but the ones when I noticed him in there he looked quick off the ball..

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay said when looking at tape he really noticed the difference. Definitely a good praise

Loran

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't able to catch the game today was at work unfortunately so I was wondering how Neal played? I had heard prior to the game he was active.

Was his presence evident?
How was his speed / pass rush / run stop etc...

I think he played 18 snaps.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw him a couple of snaps as well. As I've said he's a piece of a bigger puzzle. He can help our pass rush but he can't compensate for poor tackling and coverage.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Some time around the mid-point of yesterday's game, when the score was around 31-0, I stopped watching the ball, as I usually do when watching a game. Instead, I focused on #96, Mike Neal. In order to notice him, one actually has to ignore what is important to the game and watch happenings away from the ball or, as I found usually the case, underneath an O-lineman's body.

I am far from being an expert. But, Neal looks useless out there. He is being thrown in whatever direction the O-lineman wants to throw him. I never saw him put any presssure on the QB on any pass play, nor did I see him ever plug a hole, get a tackle, assist, even put an arm or a finger on a running back with the ball. If there was a pile, he was always, and I mean ALWAYS, on the bottom. He has no balance. No push. No anticipation. No motor.

Check the tape. On the TD toss by Palmer. Watch Neal on the pass rush. He gets EASILY shoved to the ground by single coverage lineman- actually, it looks like Neal just topples over with a single push. Then he lies face down on the turf-- not moving, not trying to get back up, not showing any initiative-- he just lies there doing nothing. The Raider lineman is just waiting for him to show signs of life to knock him again. But, Neal doesn't move. Meanwhile, Palmer is scrambling to his right, in the direction of Neal, but clearly has no worries as he nearly hops over his prone body while throwing the TD pass. After the play is completed, Neal props himself up and jogs to the sideline like his job was done. Un-fricking-believable.

To date this year: 0 tackles, 0 assists, 0 anything of any value. Geez-- how can one play as many snaps as he has thus far and have absolutely no impact, other than filling a space at the bottom of the pile.

At this rate, he is out of football in 2012.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, how quickly this Neal went from being a good prospect to "out of the picture" in this thread. Woah the horses!! While Neal is a second year player, let's bear in mind that he's barely played football in two years. It seems that we've already lumped him into the Justin Harrell department.

All of that said, I did watch Neal for a few snaps yesterday and concur that he hasn't produced yet. However, the guy has loads of potential and has shown it in the past. Let's not forget that he's still dealing with an injury. Yes he is on the field but even if his injury is 100% healed (which I doubt), he's still dealing with the mental side of trying not to re-injure and or sustain something else.

The guy deserves our patience until next season. If he's still sucking dirt in Week 3 next year then I'll crown you all the great observers of all football. Until then, as the great Cheech Marin would say, "Mellow...Melllllow.....Melllllowwwww......"

PFanCan

Reaction score
El Guapo- I am certainly not going to argue with anyone who quotes Cheech Marin.

But, yes, I don't see Neal cutting it at this point. Am sick of seeing his one and only NFL sack as evidence of his "potential". Hope I am wrong- time will tell. Capers and McCarthy know what they are doing, I am sure. I trust in their leadership.

Reaction score
Some time around the mid-point of yesterday's game, when the score was around 31-0, I stopped watching the ball, as I usually do when watching a game. Instead, I focused on #96, Mike Neal. In order to notice him, one actually has to ignore what is important to the game and watch happenings away from the ball or, as I found usually the case, underneath an O-lineman's body.

I am far from being an expert. But, Neal looks useless out there. He is being thrown in whatever direction the O-lineman wants to throw him. I never saw him put any presssure on the QB on any pass play, nor did I see him ever plug a hole, get a tackle, assist, even put an arm or a finger on a running back with the ball. If there was a pile, he was always, and I mean ALWAYS, on the bottom. He has no balance. No push. No anticipation. No motor.

Check the tape. On the TD toss by Palmer. Watch Neal on the pass rush. He gets EASILY shoved to the ground by single coverage lineman- actually, it looks like Neal just topples over with a single push. Then he lies face down on the turf-- not moving, not trying to get back up, not showing any initiative-- he just lies there doing nothing. The Raider lineman is just waiting for him to show signs of life to knock him again. But, Neal doesn't move. Meanwhile, Palmer is scrambling to his right, in the direction of Neal, but clearly has no worries as he nearly hops over his prone body while throwing the TD pass. After the play is completed, Neal props himself up and jogs to the sideline like his job was done. Un-fricking-believable.

To date this year: 0 tackles, 0 assists, 0 anything of any value. Geez-- how can one play as many snaps as he has thus far and have absolutely no impact, other than filling a space at the bottom of the pile.

What are you expecting? Mike Neal to break through the O linemen every play. I mean cut him some a little slack. He is coming off a knee injury. Do you realize the mental aspect of that. You are scared to go 100% because you think it is not fully healed.

Reaction score

This is funny because I did the exact same thing. I watched the DL for at least 2 series and focused exclusively on Neal. I agree with you he did absolutely nothing. He is supposed to be this super strong and quick lineman and he looked slow and weak. He was being handled with ease. I could not believe the TD pass either. he was pancaked with one move and never even attempted to get up. At first I thought the OL must be holding him down, but he was just watching him lay face down. Really embarrassing for Neal. He will not enjoy watching that play on films.

If he isn't completely healthy and is afraid to explode off of that leg then maybe he should just sit the rest of the year. Because he is not helping one bit at this point!

PFanCan

Reaction score
...He was being handled with ease. I could not believe the TD pass either. he was pancaked with one move and never even attempted to get up. At first I thought the OL must be holding him down, but he was just watching him lay face down. Really embarrassing for Neal. He will not enjoy watching that play on films.

^^Exactly!

I don't think this has anything to do with Neal still learning the basics and/or still ramping up from his injury.

It's about playing with more passion and effort (he should have attempted to get up after being embarrassingly pancaked on the TD pass). Lying on the turf face down untouched while the play commences is unacceptable. This has nothing to do with him scared to re-injure himself. Had he rolled over, he might have noticed the QB within an arm's reach and made his 2nd sack of his career. But, he did not. He is like the anti-Matthews. Or anti-Zombo. Those are guys who scrape and hustle for anything. Neal looks like he is hardly even trying.

And, no, I certainly do not "expect him to break through the O-line every play". I will settle for once, at this point.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he isn't completely healthy and is afraid to explode off of that leg then maybe he should just sit the rest of the year. Because he is not helping one bit at this point!

Well, there's a difference between being declared 100% healed by the medical staff, and actually believing in your heart that it is true. Especially for knee injuries. If you've suffered knee injuries, you know that the biggest thing holding you back finally is yourself. Getting cleared as 100% healthy is an important hurdle. Believing you're 100% is just as important. And you can't shut Neal down now, because the only way to clear the final hurdle is to actually play. You guys need to cool your jets on criticizing Neal. Give the man some time. This process doesn't happen over night.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice Bozz. Plus he has to get back into 'football shape'. I'm betting he hits his stride about the first playoff game.

PFanCan

Reaction score
I would love to be proven wrong! A three sack performance would be just the recipe.

Members online

Latest posts