Metrodome memories

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As they are demolishing that dump I thought it would be a good time to discuss fav memories in what was a house of horrors for us

My fav was Reggie white throwing Chris carter into warren moon for a near sack

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary Anderson missing the FG that would have put them in the SB
I loved that so much, and rooted for Atlanta so much that day...... but later, now recently, seeing that Randall Cunningham A Football Life, I really regret that and wish, gulp, that Minnesota would have won that and made the Super Bowl.
Seriously.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 27-11 Packers win there in 1997. It was the first win in that place for Mike Holmgren's team but there were so many Packers' fans there that their noise actually disrupted the home team. After that the Vikings started limiting ticket purchases by people from Wisconsin.

Actually the Packers' record there wasn't so bad. They were 15-16 there all-time. It was that stretch from '92-'99 that they lost so often, usually in some bizarre occurrence in a close game.

Last edited:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Never went to to the MetroDump for a football game. Went there for a Twins-Brewers game when I was sentenced to living in Superior/Duluth for 9 or 10 months. Came out of there with a massive headache from all of the noise...it was like being in a warehouse.

It was funny as hell when Mike Holmgren made the observation that the Vikes were piping in crowd noise and that triggered this big stink within the NFL and they had to stop it. Now, I think it's commonplace for some of these places to amplify the crowd noise -- I think at some point the Seahawks - 12th Man bullsh*t - are going to be exposed... but back in the 90's that was a big deal...and humiliating for the Vikies.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 27-11 Packers win there in 1997. It was the first win in that place for Mike Holmgren's team but there were so many Packers' fans there that their noise actually disrupted the home team. After that the Vikings started limiting ticket purchases by people from Wisconsin.
You were lucky! I was a jinix!
I lived there, and had gone to the THREE straight games there from 94-96, ALL LOSSES we should have won. IT was the garbage luck of the Vikings. Even though we were always better and should have won each, we lost, and I almost got in fights each time with their drunk obnoxious uneducated homer fans.
So I skipped it in 1997.... and we WON finally LOL.
I also went to a Packer game there in about 1986 where they were beating us like 35-0 or 35-7 AT THE HALF. Killed us, we were horrible.

And I went in the early 00's, when they had Moss and I got onto the field, and was amazed at how tall this Randy Moss burner was.
We were 7-point favorites again.... and we lost again.

We were 0-5 vs the Vikings in my career Metrodome games!!!
No wonder why I hated the Vikings so much for so long.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You were lucky! I was a jinix!
I lived there, and had gone to the THREE straight games there from 94-96, ALL LOSSES we should have won. IT was the garbage luck of the Vikings. Even though we were always better and should have won each, we lost, and I almost got in fights each time with their drunk obnoxious uneducated homer fans.
So I skipped it in 1997.... and we WON finally LOL.
I also went to a Packer game there in about 1986 where they were beating us like 35-0 or 35-7 AT THE HALF. Killed us, we were horrible.

And I went in the early 00's, when they had Moss and I got onto the field, and was amazed at how tall this Randy Moss burner was.
We were 7-point favorites again.... and we lost again.

We were 0-5 vs the Vikings in my career Metrodome games!!!
No wonder why I hated the Vikings so much for so long.

Yeah, Frank, that '86 42-7 game was an embarrassment. But the 80's were actually a pretty good decade for the Packers against the Queenies. They won their first 3 trips into the Hump and were 5-2 through '89 (including the strike replacement team game in '87.)

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the mammeries, ladies!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I see what you just did there, Jay. You went right for POSITIVITY!!! Buggy Bill would be so proud of you. YOU took it upon yourself to take a negative thread and make it something of .... well .... a thing of art and I thank you for the effort. I may be old, but I'm not dead -- you might even say that I'm a graduate student of Comparative Anatomy. :) Wooooot Wooooo.... :)