McNabb at it again..

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Poor poor me.. to me, this is one of McNabb's shortcommings.. if you want to be the leader of the team, put it on your shoulders.. IMO.

If the Vikings go out and get this guy.. I personally will rejoice.. wants to be a leader when things are good.. but not when they are going south.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=14379

McNabb: We've Got To Pull Together

Donovan McNabb didn't look defiant when he took the podium for his weekly press conference.

Frustrated, yes, but not defiant.

Nevertheless, he had an emphatic message for anyone calling for his head after the Eagles' rough first half of the season.

"It's easy to blame the quarterback when the team loses, but I'm definitely not the whole reason why we lost these games," McNabb said. "I can definitely help - yes I can - but I (shouldn't get the full) blame for everything that goes on around here."

McNabb's comments came two days after Eagles head coach Andy Reid was pressed repeatedly by reporters to discuss the status of his quarterback.

With the team off to its worst start since 1999, some wondered whether Reid planned on sticking with McNabb for the rest of the season.

"That's where I'm looking at things," Reid said Monday. "Again, nothing is guaranteed in things. That's how I'm looking at it, yes."

Wednesday, McNabb answered a question regarding Reid's remark. McNabb said that while he feels he receives an undue amount of criticism when the team plays poorly, he does not let outside criticism change the way he approaches his job.

"If people continue to talk about it, if they feel like it's helping them vent and get some stuff of their chest, that's great," he said. "But when I'm in this building, I'm prepared to be the guy who can go out there and help us win games."

In Sunday's 38-17 loss to the Cowboys, McNabb finished 27 of 46 for 264 yards with one touchdown and one interception. Numbers aside, much of the discontent with his performance centered around a pair of first half turnovers that the Cowboys converted into 14 points McNabb fumbled on the game's first play from scrimmage after he was hit from behind by Marcus Spears while stepping up in the pocket, and threw an interception to Dallas safety Ken Hamlin that gave the Cowboys the ball on the Philadelphia 14-yard line in the waning moments of the second quarter.

It was not the best performance of the McNabb's career, but his 86.3 quarterback rating this season still ranks a respectable 13th in the league, and compares favorably with his 85.3 rating for his career.

Nevertheless, McNabb has taken the lion's share of the blame for the struggles of Philadelphia's offense, a fact he said did not bother him.

"It doesn't bother me at all, in the situation that we are in, obviously the guy who gets criticized the most and the guy who may not get the most credit for what goes on is the quarterback," McNabb said. "But my job is to make sure that I'm prepared at all times to get ready to step out on the field and make plays."

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy is one of only 2 players that touches the ball EVERY SINGLE PLAY from scrimmage. Of course it isn't all his fault but if you were the coach wouldn't you say:

"That's where I'm looking at things," Reid said Monday. "Again, nothing is guaranteed in things. That's how I'm looking at it, yes."

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"McNabb said that while he feels he receives an undue amount of criticism when the team plays poorly[...]"

True. So what?

After, what, ten seasons, this guy STILL doesn't understand Philadelphia?

When a team plays poorly in Philadelphia, undue criticism is loud and omnipresent. Deal with it!

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is really getting old. poor me poor me. always thinks he is picked on. I can't BELIEVE he didn't pull the race card. that's his favorite move. I think any team would be better WITHOUT Mcnabb. because no matter how much talent he brings his attitude can bring the whole team down. I even wonder with the T.O. thing who was more at fault.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not rejoice if the Vikes or Bears get him, though. He would be a big talent upgrade.

His career in Philly is going to end ugly.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
I would not rejoice if the Vikes or Bears get him, though. He would be a big talent upgrade.

His career in Philly is going to end ugly.

Talent upgrade yes.. leadership hit... the guy will always keep the focus of the team off the field with something...

I should pre-qualify that... versus a hit on a true leader at the QB position.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Wahh I'm picked on cuz im bwaaack wahhh

**** McNabb. be a leader, not a whiner.

The dude is a good QB, in my opinion.

I think he just needs to shut up and play ball though.

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what is it with these guys? they are paid rudiculous amounts of money to play a game. they should be made to try to feed their family's on the average joe's paycheck, then go back to being a QB for a NFL team and see who has got something to complain about. I've said it before and I will say it again, the NFL is designed to go in cycles, Eagles have had their time at the top, now they have to start again. It happens for everybody, with the exception of Cardinals and Patriots. Even Lions seem to be having their turn.

TheKanataThrilla

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think the Eagles should have kept Garcia. His attitude is pure Philly.

McNabb is a great QB, but I think he needs to play in a market where there is far less pressure. I am also not a fan of the race card being played. It is not because you are black, it is because you are the QB for one of the most demanding fans in the NFL. Either live with it or ask for a trade.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is really getting old. poor me poor me. always thinks he is picked on. I can't BELIEVE he didn't pull the race card. that's his favorite move. I think any team would be better WITHOUT Mcnabb. because no matter how much talent he brings his attitude can bring the whole team down. I even wonder with the T.O. thing who was more at fault.
Give him time big3........thats his "trump" card. He WILL use it, when every other "whine" fails.
He had his shot, and blew it. He's on the down slope of his career now. It's over for the guy.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You forgot to mention the part where he name drops Brett. He said something along the lines of "every QB eventually has their struggles....Brett Favre had them ....etc etc".

I'm probably thinking to much into this, but is there a possibility that he said this because the media is so high on Favre doing well right now, and he wants to make them know that he can come back and do well too?

Perhaps a tiny stab at Brett? I doubt it but what do you guys think.

DarkaneRules

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say it wasn't at Brett. It was at the media and it addresses the issue with race but not so much as it exposes what most of us already know. Philly fans are waaaaay more brutal than Packer fans. We all know there were comments from many people during Favre's downtime where people wanted him gone but the diehards always stood behind him. I admit that I still get nervous when Brett launches one off his back foot, but no matter.

The decision for McNabb to come back so soon off such a horrible injury perhaps is the biggest reason for all of this because it really does affect his ability to get out of trouble in the pocket. The most annoying thing is that I can tell how frustrating it is for McNabb. His players have his back but I think the people who have let him down the most are the coaches. You know your quarter back isn't at his best and you get rid of arguably your defense's strongest leader. That really does affect the team dynamic especially because of how fond they all were of him. Then we saw a couple times that the coaches repeatedly failed to make adjustments when it came to pass protection.

So what McNabb is saying is true, but in that atmosphere in Philly, you cringe when you hear him say anything about patience and struggling because the Philly fans don't want to hear that. They want to win now and it is as many say a "what have you done for me lately" town. It is too bad because when McNabb is gone, I am sure they will not have a lot of fun watching Kobb get sacked left and right.

Members online

Latest posts