McDaniels offensive scheme for Rodgers and the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually Won’t be much like the one Brady ran in New England at all. The only similarity we will probably see is more double Tightend sets which tells me a couple things....Either Jimmy Graham?? Or Tonyan probably has a career year next season. In McDaniels scheme the Tightend has ALWAYS been a major focal point in the offense. We will also see a quick passing attack..something we’ve wanted to see more of in GB so Rodgers isn’t holding the back so long. Also expect jones to catch at least 30 passes next season. Stay tuned folks!! The Fire works are about to come back into the offense!!

H

HardRightEdge

Actually Won’t be much like the one Brady ran in New England at all. The only similarity we will probably see is more double Tightend sets which tells me a couple things....Either Jimmy Graham?? Or Tonyan probably has a career year next season. In McDaniels scheme the Tightend has ALWAYS been a major focal point in the offense. We will also see a quick passing attack..something we’ve wanted to see more of in GB so Rodgers isn’t holding the back so long. Also expect jones to catch at least 30 passes next season. Stay tuned folks!! The Fire works are about to come back into the offense!!
Is that a function of the players he's given? NE also has a long history of featuring waterbug slot receivers in that quick throw attack starting with Welker. Is McDaniels going to feature those kinds of players if he doesn't actually have them? A good offensive coach adapts to the talent he's given unless he's given the authority to dictate the kind of players that are acquired.

30 catches by a primary back is nothing to speak of. Jones had 26 this season despite missing 4 games while being the #2 for a chunk of the season. Williams had 27 catches despite being relegated to #2 status when Jones was promoted. Montogomery had 44 in 2016 without significant playing time until Fat Eddie went down in week 5. If you're looking for above average involvement of a back in the passing game you'd be looking for at least 50 catches. At the extremes, where RBs are featured players in the passing, this season we had McCaffrey with the NFL record 106, Barcley with 91, and Pats own James White with 87.

Maybe you meant to say 80 for Jones in a McDaniels offense? ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If mcDaniels wanted to call an offense like NE with the players he'd have in GB they'd fail, like HRE said. They are not that similar in player types at all, scrap the ones we have and start over?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If mcDaniels wanted to call an offense like NE with the players he'd have in GB they'd fail, like HRE said. They are not that similar in player types at all, scrap the ones we have and start over?
what offense did he try to run in Denver? Tebow wasn't it?

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, he’s not going to run the same offense.. HOWEVER the two Tightend set will be utilized a lot more. As well as the quick passing game. Josh is excited about having the chance to coach a Rodgers led offense because Rodgers adds a couple dimensions Brady just did not have.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what is this based on? do you have a link?

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m speaking it into existence..which means it’s oretty much a done deal Haha

Oh, well if I we are operating under that assumption, I will say this about McDaniels.......I like him as a coordinator, hate him as a leader.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you’re right. I think Graham is another failed (and expensive) attempt to get a field-stretching TE. Maybe it’s Tonyan, but I’d like to see what else is available in FA and the draft.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you’re right. I think Graham is another failed (and expensive) attempt to get a field-stretching TE. Maybe it’s Tonyan, but I’d like to see what else is available in FA and the draft.

if they keep him and he has another season like this, I will agree. Seems to take him a year to get going when he goes to a new team. It's like they don't know how to use him, or he doesn't learn the offense quick. But the 2nd year is when he is utilized more. I won't mind seeing a little old school Patriot two TE set out there to hide him a little. He doesn't block, only Adams can create separation, I think defensively it may be easy to take him out of the game. I am in hopes that Allison, MVS, ESB all with some more experience can all help each other out next year. As bad as the offense looked, I actually have hope in the offense moving forward. If they can draft well defensively and make a move or two in free agency, I think the team will be rounded out nicely.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what is this based on? do you have a link?

I don’t have a link but I have sources. They’ve been pretty spot on thus far. I can also believe that because the the personnel in GB is also completely different from the personnel currently in New England. It makes sense IMO

H

HardRightEdge

New England's #2 TEs in terms of number of catches are as follows in recent years:

2018: Hollister - 4
2017: Allen - 10
2016: Gronkowski - 25 in 8 games (Bennett had 55 in 16 games)
2015: Chanderler - 23
2014: Wright - 26
2013: Hoomanawanni - 12
2012: Hernandez - 51 in 10 games
2011: Hernandez - 79

You have to go back to the the Gronk/Hernandez years to find heavy usage of 2 TEs in the passing game, and that 2011 year wasn't McDaniel's--he was with the Rams that season. Is it possible the Gronk/Hernandez combo had something to do with the talent of the players? I think so. If there's been any NE receiver theme over the years it's that Hookie does not like to spend money on them, and the ball goes to the most talented players among the group he manages to assemble. WRs, slots, TEs, RBs...it really doesn't matter.

As for Graham having a "career year", I can only say, "pipe dream." I'm fairly confident in saying that regardless of who is the HC or OC he won't come anywhere close to his 2011 or 2013 season, not by a long shot:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrahJi00.htm

I certainly expect Tonyan to have a career year considering the bar to be exceeded is his 4 catches this season.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t have a link but I have sources. They’ve been pretty spot on thus far. I can also believe that because the the personnel in GB is also completely different from the personnel currently in New England. It makes sense IMO
i'd actually like to see us run a more ball-control passing attack using the middle of the field and the TE's like NE uses. reel-in Rodgers street-ball mentality. if that isn't going to happen then it goes to my fear that it doesn't matter who the new coach is. it's just going to be business as usual. smh

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A McDaniels hire is not one that bodes well for keeping the status quo in GB. Nor should it.

If McDaniels gets hired, it's going to be to run his offense and game plan. Not Aaron's, and not the one put in place by MM and TT.

If we bring in Josh McDaniels, don't be surprised if the entire offensive book flips on its head. At that point it's up to Aaron to learn it or JD will be lobbying to flip him like he did to Cutler in Denver to get another qb and picks to mold to his game plan.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So how did the interview go yesterday?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if they keep him and he has another season like this, I will agree. Seems to take him a year to get going when he goes to a new team. It's like they don't know how to use him, or he doesn't learn the offense quick. But the 2nd year is when he is utilized more. I won't mind seeing a little old school Patriot two TE set out there to hide him a little. He doesn't block, only Adams can create separation, I think defensively it may be easy to take him out of the game. I am in hopes that Allison, MVS, ESB all with some more experience can all help each other out next year. As bad as the offense looked, I actually have hope in the offense moving forward. If they can draft well defensively and make a move or two in free agency, I think the team will be rounded out nicely.
All good points, thanks. I won’t be disappointed if they keep Graham but would certainly have higher expectations.

And with Allison, MVS, ESB, and as always, Adams, they should field a solid WR group. I’d like to see a consistent commitment to the run game with Jones and Williams. MM’s approach to the running game seemed haphazard, allowing the opponent;s secondary to focus on coverage. And Jones and Williams are good backs. I wouldn’t be surprised if GB added another back in FA or the draft. Seattle certainly got a lot done this year in the run game without marquis names.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Using double TE sets does not return fireworks to the offense, and this ridiculous thread only furthers the narrative of McDufus being a fraud.

His little stack TE set works because Gronkowski is there. Take Gronk out of the picture and then what? Sorry but Graham is not what he used to be, and imo we have too many TEs here.

This offense needs to get back to using speedy 4th and 5th solid route running WRs in shotgun and spread the damn ball out over more of the field again. Ridiculous that we've gotten away from that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We barely had 5 wr to suit up every week let alone run an offense thru them

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All good points, thanks. I won’t be disappointed if they keep Graham but would certainly have higher expectations.

And with Allison, MVS, ESB, and as always, Adams, they should field a solid WR group. I’d like to see a consistent commitment to the run game with Jones and Williams. MM’s approach to the running game seemed haphazard, allowing the opponent;s secondary to focus on coverage. And Jones and Williams are good backs. I wouldn’t be surprised if GB added another back in FA or the draft. Seattle certainly got a lot done this year in the run game without marquis names.

speaking of the non-marquis names at the RB position, whenever you have a few moments, go back and check out the last about 10 superbowls and see how many non-elite names there are. Aside from Mershawn Lynch, there are a lot of CJ Anderson, Bradshaw, Jarvious-GreenEllis, Blount, Ajayi, Jonathan Stewart. I am not opposed to them keeping Jones and Williams, and adding another tier 2-4 guy for depth. I am not convinced having a Bell, Zeke type player is necessary. They can turn into too big of a headache.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
speaking of the non-marquis names at the RB position, whenever you have a few moments, go back and check out the last about 10 superbowls and see how many non-elite names there are. Aside from Mershawn Lynch, there are a lot of CJ Anderson, Bradshaw, Jarvious-GreenEllis, Blount, Ajayi, Jonathan Stewart. I am not opposed to them keeping Jones and Williams, and adding another tier 2-4 guy for depth. I am not convinced having a Bell, Zeke type player is necessary. They can turn into too big of a headache.
Forgot Starks

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict McDufus will get exposed by the Chargers this Sunday.

Yup, I'm picking the Chargers to knock em out 27-10 in Gillette. Book it!

Reaction score
I predict McDufus will get exposed by the Chargers this Sunday.

Yup, I'm picking the Chargers to knock em out 27-10 in Gillette. Book it!

You should try and get your own show lol Seems like you see what most people are saying and take up the opposite opinion! Cracks me up lol. But real talk you think the Pats only score 10 points in Foxborough? I hope you are right. I'd love to see them lose at home to the Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts