McCarthy to rely on receivers to exploit middle of the field

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like MM is planning new schemes and on having Jordy back' in case they're unable to address TE. Maybe different route concepts and more 4 WR sets? In which case the youngsters will have to step up.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Sounds like MM is planning new schemes and on having Jordy back' in case they're unable to address TE. Maybe different route concepts and more 4 WR sets? In which case the youngsters will have to step up.

I guess the offense will use way more four and even five receiver sets than in previous years.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to argue that the offense was probably at it's best when they were able to run out their "Big 5". The only problem is there isn't a TE on the roster or in the draft that is anywhere near Jermichael's ability to stretch the middle of the field, at least right now. I think our best bet is to put the ball in 12's hands and let him go to work. He needs to be willing to let it rip though which is something he tends to shy away from too often.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

It's hard to argue that the offense was probably at it's best when they were able to run out their "Big 5". The only problem is there isn't a TE on the roster or in the draft that is anywhere near Jermichael's ability to stretch the middle of the field, at least right now. I think our best bet is to put the ball in 12's hands and let him go to work. He needs to be willing to let it rip though which is something he tends to shy away from too often.

There´s absolutely no doubt the Packers won´t have an athletic tight end like Finley on the field in 2016, that´s why it seems McCarthy is working on formations to have receivers open up the middle of the field though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the formations in the world won't do squat if the receivers run into the DBs arms, hug for a moment, and then turn around to see what's happening in the play.

That said, I did like Abrederis' willingness to go over the middle and I think that Janis has that ability. Unfortunately, those two bean poles don't have the physical stature to do it every week without injury.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All the formations in the world won't do squat if the receivers run into the DBs arms, hug for a moment, and then turn around to see what's happening in the play.

And when has that ever happened???? ;)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

That´s true, the receivers for sure have to perform at a higher level than last season. Hopefully having a designated receivers coach in Luke Getsy will help them improve.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That´s true, the receivers for sure have to perform at a higher level than last season. Hopefully having a designated receivers coach in Luke Getsy will help them improve.

I can't tell you how many times they would show a replay of the routes ran and I said to myself "What the f*** kind of routes are those?"

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I can't tell you how many times they would show a replay of the routes ran and I said to myself "What the f*** kind of routes are those?"

There´s no denying the coaching staff didn´t help out the receivers with route combinations but they didn´t win a lot of one-on-one battles either.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been a James Jones since his rookie season. I always hoped that he'd put it all together, making the easy catches as flawlessly as he could the difficult ones. In 2015, it seemed that the rest of the WRs took on his running style which I would describe as "lazy" last year. My hope is that the rest of the WRs will once again look up at Jordy's style and push themselves once again.

That said, I loathe players that need external motivation to succeed.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That said, I did like Abrederis' willingness to go over the middle and I think that Janis has that ability. Unfortunately, those two bean poles don't have the physical stature to do it every week without injury.
You have a point with Abbrederis, but Janis is the biggest, strongest WR they've got. Whether or not that translates to the field is one thing, but he's got the statute to take his share of hits.

You are describing what I saw all year from the WRs. The routes were predictable and unimaginative, and the receivers didn't know what to do while getting pressed. You could see Adams get knocked off of several routes, and he looked lost. I think they should have done a complete overhaul of the offensive coaching staff, as the product on the field last year was pathetic.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think they should have done a complete overhaul of the offensive coaching staff, as the product on the field last year was pathetic.

I´m fine with the new position coaches on offense but I have a hard time understanding why McCarthy hold on to Clements as an associate head coach on offense. The unit should have been OK with Bennett as the offensive coordinator.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been a James Jones since his rookie season. I always hoped that he'd put it all together, making the easy catches as flawlessly as he could the difficult ones. In 2015, it seemed that the rest of the WRs took on his running style which I would describe as "lazy" last year. My hope is that the rest of the WRs will once again look up at Jordy's style and push themselves once again.

That said, I loathe players that need external motivation to succeed.
Until the ball is thrown his way, he's not giving 100%. The play against Carolina says it all. It was 4th and long, and you saw him make a catch off the deflection. But then the replay showed was he was doing beforehand, which was showing absolutely no effort to get open, doing a couple half-assed double moves within the same 5 yard area.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until the ball is thrown his way, he's not giving 100%. The play against Carolina says it all. It was 4th and long, and you saw him make a catch off the deflection. But then the replay showed was he was doing beforehand, which was showing absolutely no effort to get open, doing a couple half-assed double moves within the same 5 yard area.
Completely agree. He was always great at the tough catches. It was the ones when he was wide open down the seam, where the ball would hit his hands in front of his chest and then fall to the ground.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m fine with the new position coaches on offense but I have a hard time understanding why McCarthy hold on to Clements as an associate head coach on offense. The unit should have been OK with Bennett as the offensive coordinator.
Since Bennett was OC in name only they should've kept him coaching WR's as he had done since 2011... GREAT WR coach on all of "the little things". WR's took 2 huge steps backwards in '15 & not having Bennett coaching WR's was part of it (as was losing Jordy), IMHO. Gotta hope Getsy preaches details and getting off of jams or MM can scheme all he wants with marginal success.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Since Bennett was OC in name only they should've kept him coaching WR's as he had done since 2011... GREAT WR coach on all of "the little things". WR's took 2 huge steps backwards in '15 & not having Bennett coaching WR's was part of it (as was losing Jordy), IMHO. Gotta hope Getsy preaches details and getting off of jams or MM can scheme all he wants with marginal success.

I agree that Bennett was a great wide receivers coach but he would have probably not accepted a demotion from offensive coordinator this offseason. I would have been in favor of getting rid of Clements as there´s no need for him on the coaching staff.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Sorry for the confusion... Bennett's title should've been (in '15) OC/WR's coach, not demoted.

I´m not convinced it´s a good idea to have the coordinator coach a positional group as well.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does running more split out TEs formations and style make Kennard have more of a chance of seeing the field? Afterall, he is duped the possible guy on roster more WR ish than TEish....just a thought...I suspect no but curious other thoughts.

As for just more 4 and 5 WR sets....I say go for it! AR is in his prime still in my opinion and in all honesty if Lacy comes back in better shape he can split and do short routes as his hands seem above average...and Starks has the ability to do likewise, neither has to be Forte, but having that split out portion of the offense can create some missmatches.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Does running more split out TEs formations and style make Kennard have more of a chance of seeing the field? Afterall, he is duped the possible guy on roster more WR ish than TEish....just a thought...I suspect no but curious other thoughts.

Backman is the most athletic tight end on the roster but coming from a small college program it seems he wasn´t ready to get on the field last season for whatever reasons. Perillo moving ahead of him on the depth chart during the season wasn´t a promising sign.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Backman is the most athletic tight end on the roster but coming from a small college program it seems he wasn´t ready to get on the field last season for whatever reasons. Perillo moving ahead of him on the depth chart during the season wasn´t a promising sign.

I agree, just wondered if he is sitting at home or at the gym thinking if this is the case "good deal, I can do that."

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lord knows Perillo and RR are probably not better at this than even a fat Lacy running routes. :D RR is a decent to good redzone threat though.

Members online

Latest posts