McCarthy, Thompson And The Hundley Vs Callahan Saga

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
We will, and hell I wasn't even calling to bench him because I don't think it's all Hundley. I think MM is still being reluctant to get rid of the training wheels, and also not using enough plays that could move Hundley around and get him throwing without backing up.

But at the same time, just as we gotta lower the expectations on him compared to Rodgers, the other edge of that sword is that there might be other options out there that give us a better chance to win, and neither coaches nor fans should just write em off.
He played way better in a no huddle situation. I think that if McCarthy doesn't use that next week he is and idiot. The Packers should come out the first series and go no huddle for at least the first 15 plays. My bet is if they do that he will drive them down and score a TD. The Defense also needs to step up. Hundley is not good enough at this point to go toe to toe with many of the Starting QB's in the league. If the defense can hold other teams to 17 points or less the Packers could finish 6-2. IF they don't, if the continue to allow 23 points per game I can see them going 0-8 down the stretch. How this team goes from from this point on is on the defense, not Hundley.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe aside from Cleveland that our D is built, nor has the right defensive coordinator to hold opponents below that. Funny thing is I mentioned MM veering away from the no huddle too much under Rodgers and thought it was ridiculous we didn't run it more often. Some people seemed to think of it as an anathema simply because Chip Kelly screwed it up in Philly. The way I see it ... our defense aint going to get off that field regardless of how much rest they get so yeah, I'd run a no-huddle all game if I was MM.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if they want to try to win games for some reason now they should stay with Hundley. he'll probably end up getting hurt anyway but if he continues to struggle i wouldn't have a problem with them going to the even worse Callahan. lol

#embracethetank

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no reason for the Packers to start Callahan. While he might have played in a pro-style offense (I have no idea if he did) you have to realize that he played in Division III.

The Packers actually had a decent rushing attack vs. the Lions averaging 4.6 yards per attempt.

I got 3.84.3 if you include Hundley
where the 4.6 come from?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no reason for the Packers to start Callahan. While he might have played in a pro-style offense (I have no idea if he did) you have to realize that he played in Division III.
I'm not ready to say Hundley shouldn't be our starter at this point.
But if Callahan is so worthless, why is he even on the team?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not ready to say Hundley shouldn't be our starter at this point.
But if Callahan is so worthless, why is he even on the team?
well he's obviously not worthless, but he obviously isn't the answer either. Most likely anyway. He was on this team as a PS player, until such time that our #1 went down, our #2 was promoted and we had nobody else on the roster to fill the position. When it comes to learning the playbook and filling in, it was probably thought better to promote a guy that has been here and has shown he's not completely worthless, but certainly not a starter, than to bring in someone else that has shown they were not good enough to be a a back ups, backup somewhere else and see if he can become a part of the team and learn the playbook.

Much of the league doesn't even have adequate at the starting QB position, what do you think is left for the #3 QB spot?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much of the league doesn't even have adequate at the starting QB position, what do you think is left for the #3 QB spot?
My point was that if no Division III quarterback will ever be good enough to start, why should anyone ever draft one?

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point was that if no Division III quarterback will ever be good enough to start, why should anyone ever draft one?

A lot D3 players in NESCAC choose a really good school without athletic scholarships. I do believe there a few jems in D3 if you look.

H

HardRightEdge

Hundley most had success late in the game because the Lions played vanilla defense.
Defenses are forced into vanilla under hurry up. That's kinda the point. Going predominantly hurry up would appear to be the best chance for this team to win another game.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So what? If the Packers didn't think he could play they wouldn't have him on the roster.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they didn't draft him, he was undrafted and signed as a UDFA last year

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, as Mondio just pointed out Callahan is an UDFA so yes, we practically got him here the cheapest way possible. But I do agree it's poor planning on our GM's part to have only him as a plan B.

Make no mistake, just to be sure I'm clear, Hundley needs and should get plenty of rope to try and get something going. I'm not against that. But even if our chances are slim to none on making the playoffs without Rodgers, I still think the GM and coaching staff have to still try to get there which means if Hundley can't get going or gets injured as well (he does take off running sometimes and takes sacks), you oughtta be either looking at other FA QBs out there with a higher ceiling than Callahan, or possibly be looking at a trade deal for a backup that would cost very little. I think there's plenty of room to criticize Ted Thompson in how he's handling this situation so far.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In football There are the RIGHT decisions...and then there are EASY decisions. Mccarthy makes the easy decisions. Which is why Capers, is still on his staff, which is why he sticks with his scripted plays vs adjusting to what the defense is giving him.

It's easier to blame Capers (who does suck) for the teams lack of success in the loses when his defense can't get off the field...completely over looking the fact that the offense had only 2 good drives
and 1 decent one the entire night. His decision to run a jet sweep on 4th and two in his teams own territory blowing up in his face. Or not really getting Montgomery, Jones or the Tightends involved in the passing game. Maybe he keeps Capers around because it covers up his own short comings....and the first thing fans are going to do is rip Capers and the defense (which does suck) apart.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's easier to blame Capers (who does suck) for the teams lack of success in the loses when his defense can't get off the field...completely over looking the fact that the offense had only 2 good drivesand 1 decent one the entire night.
We know the offense isn't performing. There are reasons for that, from Hundley's inexperience to McCarthy's conservative play calling to poor execution.
The reason the defense gets criticized is because it's an ongoing issue, it's been a weak spot consistently for years. The players change, but the pattern remains, from not forcing a Detroit punt Sunday to giving up 500 yards to NO the game before, etc, etc.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think Ted Thompson's getting too old and senile to be GMing this team. This whole Martellus Bennett situation has really made him look dumb and short-sighted, and he'd better hope Kendricks steps up to salvage it. I fault Thomspon for the fact that we're stuck with this QB situation, and we don't even need to start on his bad defensive scouting.

Members online

Latest posts