McCarthy a standup guy

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the Mike McCarthy show tonight I heard something you just never hear a head coach say. "I didn't have the team ready to go on Sunday." Bravo! That kind or confidence is what makes this guy special. I believe he'll have the team ready on Sunday.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
That's good he admitted it, because it was more then obvious.

I'm not that worried about it though.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed as well. He played some role in how ill prepared the team was on Sunday, and I give him a lot of credit for having the guts to admit it.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like McCarthy and he like anyone else makes mistakes.
I think that when he and his staff lay a coaching egg he is quick to learn from it and turn it into something positive.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every coach that has ever lost a game has said, "I didn't have my team ready to play."

That being said, I really like McCarthy. And yes, he is definitely a stand up guy.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every coach that has ever lost a game has said, "I didn't have my team ready to play."

That being said, I really like McCarthy. And yes, he is definitely a stand up guy.

True

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:

True

Yeah, I don't think it's anything super special that he said that. Like I said, it was pretty obvious that he didn't have his team ready. Of course it wasn't all his fault, but the coaching is responsible to have the players prepared for this kind of weather and they were not. The Bears were prepared and it showed. Let's hope this problem is addressed. It's looking like Sunday's game will give them a little more practice in fairly bad weather.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's just not true. Sherman, as an example, would always say things like,"we'll get it fixed." I don't think I ever heard that from him. I don't think I ever heard that from Holmgren either. Most coaches don't want to admit to themselves or their players that they failed. That is why I salute him because I think his ability to say, I take part in the blame of this game is what makes players want to play hard for him. I cannot honestly remember ever hearing that before. I'm sure it's been said by others, I just don't recall ever hearing it.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was more than just not being ready to play. The gameplan was not adjusted to fit the weather. Just a bad game all around.

KGB94SACKEM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:

That's just not true. Sherman, as an example, would always say things like,"we'll get it fixed." I don't think I ever heard that from him. I don't think I ever heard that from Holmgren either. Most coaches don't want to admit to themselves or their players that they failed. That is why I salute him because I think his ability to say, I take part in the blame of this game is what makes players want to play hard for him. I cannot honestly remember ever hearing that before. I'm sure it's been said by others, I just don't recall ever hearing it.

I'm sorry but I've heard it a million times. It's common coach talk.

OP
OP
P

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if it's common coach talk, I haven't heard it. I've been following football for many years. I think it is far more common to have these guys talk about how the team wasn't ready, not I didn't get them ready.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:
MidwestFavreFan said:

I'm sorry but I've heard it a million times. It's common coach talk.

KGB, you really have heard a PACKERS coach say he didnt have the team ready?

Not saying your wrong, they probably have but, I can't remember a coach saying it...

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

that is not true

PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!!

or

WE LET THEM OFF THE DAMN HOOK

Not every coach says they didn't have their team ready, only the better ones do :) (of course that last line is my opinion)

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MidwestFavreFan said:

that is not true

PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!!
This is my favorite clip of all time. And he DID blame the coaching too. Jim Mora is awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX4ox7aX_wc

"We couldn't do diddly poo, offensively." Classic

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the Mike McCarthy show tonight I heard something you just never hear a head coach say. "I didn't have the team ready to go on Sunday." Bravo! That kind or confidence is what makes this guy special. I believe he'll have the team ready on Sunday.

MM is an outstanding coach. He has a good shot at being Coach of the Year this year.

He laid a turd last Sunday. Better that it happened in regular season than in the playoffs.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He took the blame.............and rightfully so. But he looked like he honestly MEANT it, not just "lip service". I like that. Some coaches don't look like they really take responsibility.
Another thing i like was.........on "Eminem's" TV show, he told how he said on the plane's PA system that the players should have a Merry Christmas, and to enjoy themselves. When questioned about it, he said something to the fact "Well, i felt it was necessary after what i said to them in the locker room after the game".........so he must have reemed them GOOD after the game! I think he keeps that stuff INSIDE of the team, and doesn't often let US see that part. So he showed he wasn't happy with what went on, and obviously let the team know. But he is smart enough to let them know that game is over, and they have to let it go and get on with it.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He took the blame.............and rightfully so. But he looked like he honestly MEANT it, not just "lip service". I like that. Some coaches don't look like they really take responsibility.
Another thing i like was.........on "Eminem's" TV show, he told how he said on the plane's PA system that the players should have a Merry Christmas, and to enjoy themselves. When questioned about it, he said something to the fact "Well, i felt it was necessary after what i said to them in the locker room after the game".........so he must have reemed them GOOD after the game! I think he keeps that stuff INSIDE of the team, and doesn't often let US see that part. So he showed he wasn't happy with what went on, and obviously let the team know. But he is smart enough to let them know that game is over, and they have to let it go and get on with it.
Well said. McCarthy does it the right way.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was more than just not being ready to play. The gameplan was not adjusted to fit the weather. Just a bad game all around.

Especially Bob Sanders. The first drive of the game the Pack were leaving the flats wide open defensively. They had a 4-3 base defense on all the time. In that kind of weather stack the front and play the flats. Orton wasn't going to do anything down field. The Bears ran screens, rushes, and swing out plays. That's about all they did and GB did nothing to counter. Horrible coaching in my opinion.

Members online

Latest posts