Matthews says packers beat themselves against giants

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mods, may i suggest this thread be locked once the giants fans come in to reply?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's not wrong. Anyone with two eyes could see the offense was off from the get go. 8 drops, 4 turnovers = Packers beating themselves.

EXACTLY!
It started with our first drive, when Jennings got wide open on the right side and he and Rodgers just mixed it up and Rodgers threw it to the outside, Jennings cut inside. The Giants had NOTHING to do with that. That caused us to kick a FG and make it 3-3, not 7-3.

Then rare fumbles by Kuhn? First ever?
Grant fumbles, who never does.
Garbage defense allowing a Hail Mary to end half one? That's bogus.

We did deserve to lose for sure.
But the Giants got our D- game, not our A or even B game. Our B game, we win by 10.
It happens. And burying the drugged kid 48 hours before the game certainly was part of us losing our edge, not being sharp, mentally. We'll never know for sure how much, but there's plenty of evidence we weren't ourselves. Which sucks because I hate the Giants.

faithality

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Clay just as much as the next guy, but he does say some pretty dumb **** sometimes.
What exactly did he say that was dumb? I'd say he was right on. Just like Spartachris said, 8 dropped passes, 4 turnovers and that hail Mary is what got us beat. If we played even an average game we would've beat the giants.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not what he said, it's that he said it at all. It may be true, but when you say it you just sound like a punk.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
While it may not be the classiest thing to say, he does have a point. We played our absolute worst football against the Giants. It was probably the worst game we've played over the course of the last 2 seasons. Several Drops, a few fumbles, no pass protection, no pass coverage. The only reason the point deficit wasn't bigger was only due to a questionable penalty.

The Falcons would have beaten us, that's how bad we were.

We definitely sucked

Reaction score
I agree with him 100%. 15-1 going in on our turf? We should've stomped them but instead we stomped ourselves. That and Finley dropping passes.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
The Giants were the better team that day. Packers beat the #1,2,3 seeded teams the year before to win the SB. Take away any single turnover and they still might have beat us. Give 'em their props. The Packers lived and thrived by taking the ball away. We lost that turnover battle that day.
I hate it but it's true, the Giants beat the Packers in the playoffs. They were the better team that day. That's how it works in playoff games.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yeah, I"m with you DevilDon. Wins and losses are determined by the scoreboard. Nothing else. I wasn't real enamored with the Steeler fans trying to make that same argument after SB45 - I thought it was about the dumbest thing I ever heard. Doesn't matter, teams don't "run out of time" wins and losses don't get moved from one column to the other based on woulda, coulda or shoulda. I will say one thing, I was pissed off beyond belief that the Packers came out and played as they did - but make no mistake, the Giants BEAT them. On the flip side of that coin, when the Pack BEAT the Giants in the regular season, Giants fans in general sounded like whiny little schoolgirls after that game...but...make no mistake about that one...the Packers BEAT the Giants.

In summation, I'm of the opinion that Clay (bless his heart) is talking through his ***. :)

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A major part of the game is mental toughness. That was huge on our run in 2010. Last year against the giants, we didn't have it. That was huge in them beating us.

passtheSALSA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But it was true... if we just stopped that hail mary and caught every ball that Rodgers threw, we would have won that game.
If the queen had balls she'd be the King. Bottom line is your defense sucked against us both games and its pretty hard to win without a good defense. Your offense WASN'T as good as it was all year, I totally agree with you on that one, but every team makes mistakes over the course of a game. Fumbles, I'm sorry, but CANNOT count as "being sloppy"; the ball was stripped by a Giants defender.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a rather needless and silly comment.

It's not like this was a one-game fluke. The Packers weren't playing that well heading into the playoffs. They lost to the Kansas City Chiefs. They played a horrendous first half against the Chicago Bears on Christmas night. The defense was suspect all season. That wasn't the first time their receivers have dropped passes. Hell, the Giants almost beat them earlier in December.

Did they play their A-game? No. However, the best teams can win without it. The Giants played pretty crappy against the San Francisco 49ers but they still won. They didn't even play that well in the Super Bowl but they found a way to win.

Giants made them uncomfortable. The Packers didn't respond. Props to them. Now it's time to move on. The only reason that playoff game should be brought up for is for motivation in 2012.

Leonardo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Matthews is wrong, we have maybe the best offense in NFL but lately the worst defense in entire NFL. Giants have a good offense and a great defense and in this mix they won those game. The record doesnt say anything in playoffs, in playoffs you need to have a good defense mix a good offense. Thats why we won the Superbowl XLV.

Leonardo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But it was true... if we just stopped that hail mary and caught every ball that Rodgers threw, we would have won that game.

The problem is we couldnt stopped the hail mary and this says a lot of about our defense last year, a poor defense that gave a lot of yards to opponents.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is true. The Packers were the best team in the league last year. They were better than the Giants, 49ers and Patriots. Matthews is absolutely correct, the Packers picked a horrible time to play their worst game of the season.

Tuck is over-reacting. CM3 didn't bad-mouth Giants, just spoke the truth.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
wssp milwaukee radio station had this very topic on their show at 2pm Central Time

Hey guys!! give us some credit when you use our stuff LOL

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not what he said, it's that he said it at all. It may be true, but when you say it you just sound like a punk.

I do tend to agree with this. I'm glad they have a sour taste in their mouths after the epic let down that was last season, but I prefer they just shut up and handle it on the field, rather than provide bulletin board material.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Oh Lord.......

And now Tuck responded:
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/tuck_responds_to_packers_player_6oGJ9DmQQ1fQV3xb1phVTL

“Thank you for giving us the game, Clay,” Tuck deadpanned yesterday. “I appreciate it a lot.”

Sometimes IMO things like what Clay said are best left unsaid. Take the loss, suck it up and improve for next season. Besides I hated hearing this from Woodson:
“With what our offense had done that season, I think we had, especially defensively, a false sense of security about what they were gonna do.
“Maybe we should have panicked. But we didn’t. We just felt like, ‘Hey, at the end of the day, the offense will put up enough points, we’ll win the game and move on.’ That was probably to our detriment.”

Yeah we know, the D relied on Aaron to go into Godgers mode and if it didn't happen the team was screwed.

Reaction score
Even if we played our A game, the defense was a joke....
it'd be hard to win another shootout against a team with an awesome pass rush...
What angers me about that game is the fact we didn't even give ourselves a chance to win...

The awful performance by the offense was like... it was like our arms were tied behind our back in a ufc fight... just a super helpless feeling... game couldn't end soon enough.... ugh.