Mason Crosby better count his blessings...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What a brutal day for the rookie kicker. I don't blame him for the bad kickoff, because the turf gave way, but everything looked fine on the two field goals. He missed them plain and simple. He's lucky the Packers still won.

Meanwhile, Dave Rayner went 2 for 2 in KC. I still think Crosby is better, but he needs to step it up.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i hope he can kick in nasty weather because he will be doing a lot of that in green bay.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
What a brutal day for the rookie kicker. I don't blame him for the bad kickoff, because the turf gave way, but everything looked fine on the two field goals. He missed them plain and simple. He's lucky the Packers still won.

Meanwhile, Dave Rayner went 2 for 2 in KC. I still think Crosby is better, but he needs to step it up.

id you also happen to notice that Longwell kicked a game winning FG for the Vikings? A 55 yarder to boot...

ttsather

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope it can be an important (essential) learning experience for him and dealing with that turf in poor conditions.

He didn't have luck on his side w/ the third attempt, if he'd only pulled the first FGA and ended up 2/3 I'm guessing most people wouldn't think much of it.

I feel like he is going to continue to be a great choice at kicker for us.

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rayner's both kicks were pretty short.

Crosby kept hooking his kicks, even the one he made. I guess it's good that he has a bye week coming. I really believe he will be in a year or two the best kicker in football.

Talking about kicking, though, how come it seems like Ryan has one bad punt per game?

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You hear a huge snap when he kicks the ball.

If you ask me, he's kicking it too hard. When you hook it to the left, that's the case. He's right-footed, so that's the only possible explanation.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

id you also happen to notice that Longwell kicked a game winning FG for the Vikings? A 55 yarder to boot...
Yeah.....isn't that the same Longwell that missed a chip shot FG for us his rookie year that cost us a game, i think it was against the Eagles?
I'm just saying i think the kid will be ok. He sure had plenty of distance on them. He just missed. I think he will correct it and be fine.
Plus, he kicked in Colorado, so he's used to bad weather. He just had an off day, and lucky for him (AND us) it didn't cost us the game.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Good point...I'd add that when Longwell missed some critical field goals in his career, he always had someone or something else to blame instead of being a stand up guy about it. I haven't seen or heard Crosby place blame on those misses on anything but himself, which is refreshing.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

Well, the Vikings play in a dome so... wait... that game was at Soldier field? ****.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
It concerns me how Crosby will respond to kicking in cold weather (specifically in snow). I do think weather was a big factor in Crosby's less than stellar performance.

he played his college ball in Colorado. Granted, that's not quite the same as Green Bay, but I'm sure he's played in some pretty nasty weather. I think everyone is getting too worked up over this. The kid's a rookie, he's going to make some mistakes. I think he's going to be an awesome kicker and i think he's well on his way. I'm very impressed with him. He just had an off day.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I don't know how the wind was at Lambeau.. but it was whipping in Northcentral Wisconsin yesterday.. anybody at the game.. was there any "swirl" to the wind?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfan1245 said:
I think he had an off day

Kickers really cant afford to have an off day! Espicially in close games. Espicially when our offense was playing like it did.

bull. You CAN afford to have an off day in rain with tons of pressure as a rookie Kicker!!!

You CAN NOT afford to have an off day in rain with tons of pressure as a 17 year veteran QB! especially one making 10 million to a guy making less than a mil a year.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
packerfan1245 said:
I think he had an off day

Kickers really cant afford to have an off day! Espicially in close games. Espicially when our offense was playing like it did.

bull. You CAN afford to have an off day in rain with tons of pressure as a rookie Kicker!!!

You CAN NOT afford to have an off day in rain with tons of pressure as a 17 year veteran QB! especially one making 10 million to a guy making less than a mil a year.

Again... it looks like they hung up in the air.. I really wonder what it was like in the stadium yesterday as far as wind goes.. it would explain some of the kicking and passing issues both teams seemed to have.. they never mentioned it on the TV one way or another..

But yes... Favre underthrew a couple of them yesterday the Jones one was especially bad...

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnick,

I hope you can sleep at night, this consistent ripping of Brett Favre is getting old.
The guy is not perfect and has never been perfect, as neither is M. Crosby, why can't everyone just realize that this is A TEAM GAME, and be happy that when one part of The Team is not having their best day another part of The Team is picking them up.

The Packers, as A TEAM, are 5-1 and have 2 weeks to get better and correct their mistakes, enjoy the day, it has been awhile since any of us could sit back and enjoy the bye week knowing no matter what happens The Packers will still be leading The North when they resume playing.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnick,

I hope you can sleep at night, this consistent ripping of Brett Favre is getting old.
The guy is not perfect and has never been perfect, as neither is M. Crosby, why can't everyone just realize that this is A TEAM GAME, and be happy that when one part of The Team is not having their best day another part of The Team is picking them up.

The Packers, as A TEAM, are 5-1 and have 2 weeks to get better and correct their mistakes, enjoy the day, it has been awhile since any of us could sit back and enjoy the bye week knowing no matter what happens The Packers will still be leading The North when they resume playing.

dude i completely agree. i probally could have worded it better. I think its ridiculous to put blame on any one person. My point was... hes a rookie kicker , and if your gonna put the blame on anyone (in the words of Oregon States Coach) put it on the man that can take it!

I have no reason to be pissed at a rookie kicker or a 17 year vet QB. Were 5-1 ... i was just trying to denounce the notion that one player deserves more blame than another.

believe me im happy! not mad at anything were 5-1 ... i was just jumping quick to defend my kicker thats all.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby cannot change what happened yesterday, but hopefully he will learn from the experience.

It seems that it took Longwell a little time to grow comfortable with Lambeau in Oct., Nov., Dec., etc. But once he knew what to expect and how to prepare he was fine. I hope the same happens with Crosby.

Members online

Latest posts