Mason Crosby better count his blessings...

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"The sky is falling...the sky is falling!" Jeez some guys aren't satisfied with anything. The game is history, the Pack won, we're 5-1 so let's go on. Has any kicker in NFL history gone 1000% in his career? Has any QB gone 1000% in his career? NO! Crosby will do just fine. And if you think kicking in Boulder Co. is a piece of cake, think again. The winds come down off the Rocky Mountain front and cause all kinds of problems with swirls and cross winds.

We have a week off, so everyone go out and have a cup of tea and enjoy the moment.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My Bad,

I see your point, there are some on this forum who continually pick apart this team, the strong point is now definatley the Defense, but the offense and special teams have had their moments the first 6 weeks. Some have already forgotten M. Crosby cooly stepping out onto the field opening day and drilling the winning FG against The Eagles.

I am hoping for some assemblance of a running game to appear in 2 weeks and that the O-line gets healthy again, that will definately go along way in improving the overall performance of The Offense.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
A little burb from the PG... plant foot part of the reason for kicking issues?

Kinda like a track in Nascar.. the field was changing on him and the equipment changes weren't fast enough.. good learning experience for Mason for later this year?

Rookie kicker Mason Crosby changed shoes twice before finding the right ones to combat the slippery turf at Lambeau Field on Sunday afternoon, but by that time, it was too late.

He already had missed two field goals and badly mis-hit one kickoff.

Crosby had problems with his footing during the Green Bay Packers' 17-14 win over the Washington Redskins. He changed to longer spikes early in the second half and did so again later in the half before getting comfortable. The poor footing was at least partially to blame for Crosby's missed field goals from 46 yards (wide left) and 38 yards (off the left upright).

"The surface started getting slick, and you have to try and keep your footing," Crosby said. "I thought I hit those balls well, but they just kind of drifted on me."

Crosby said without being sure of his footing, he didn't plant as firmly as he normally would.

"You don't attack it as much and some of that causes a problem," said Crosby, who made a 37-yard field goal in the third quarter. "You turn your hips before you swing the leg through, and I just had a little draw on them, so they drifted a little bit too much at the end."

**Equipment manager Red Batty helped Crosby change to half-inch spikes after he slipped on a third-quarter kickoff, and Batty found a different shoe for Crosby.

"I thought the footing was good, but we've just got to wear the right shoes and wear the right cleats," special-teams coach Mike Stock said. "He came out and practiced before the second half. That's where you decide whether the footing is going to be OK with the shoes you have. When he came out, it appeared to be OK, but when he slipped on that approach, I said, 'You better change your shoes now.'"

Crosby missed only one field goal during his first five games.

**Remember the guy running across the field with a pair of shoes in hand.. that was Red..

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
"The sky is falling...the sky is falling!" Jeez some guys aren't satisfied with anything. The game is history, the Pack won, we're 5-1 so let's go on. Has any kicker in NFL history gone 1000% in his career? Has any QB gone 1000% in his career? NO! Crosby will do just fine. And if you think kicking in Boulder Co. is a piece of cake, think again. The winds come down off the Rocky Mountain front and cause all kinds of problems with swirls and cross winds.

We have a week off, so everyone go out and have a cup of tea and enjoy the moment.

1000% eh? heh :p

Good post though. People shouldn't over react too much about Crosby. It is a worry, but its not life threatening. The kid was wearing the wrong cleats.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:
packerfan1245 said:
I think he had an off day

Kickers really cant afford to have an off day! Espicially in close games. Espicially when our offense was playing like it did.

bull. You CAN afford to have an off day in rain with tons of pressure as a rookie Kicker!!!

You CAN NOT afford to have an off day in rain with tons of pressure as a 17 year veteran QB! especially one making 10 million to a guy making less than a mil a year.

That rookie kicker had to come out on the field three times for a field goal. He missed two of them. He had to do that job THREE times. he failed two of them. I know he is a rookie, and I think he is going to be good. My only point was that you cant afford to have an off day. And by the way...I did mention that one of the reasons he couldnt have an off day was because the offense was playing the way it was. Which includes that 17 year veteran QB, who just happens to be on his way to the HOF.

Pack504

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he's still a good and reliable kicker, he just need to improve in bad weather situations.

Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
all about da packers said:
It concerns me how Crosby will respond to kicking in cold weather (specifically in snow). I do think weather was a big factor in Crosby's less than stellar performance.

he played his college ball in Colorado. Granted, that's not quite the same as Green Bay, but I'm sure he's played in some pretty nasty weather. I think everyone is getting too worked up over this. The kid's a rookie, he's going to make some mistakes. I think he's going to be an awesome kicker and i think he's well on his way. I'm very impressed with him. He just had an off day.

bozz, I read a blurb in a report about Crosby that stated he had kicked in cold weather, but had never kicked in snow. :-?

That is what worries me...

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nobody said the sky is falling. I just noticed that our kicker had a bad day and thought it was worth discussing. Apparently others thought so as well. Nobody said he's a bad kicker or that the Packers made the wrong decision when they kept him. We discuss every aspect of the team on this forum, and that includes the things that are going well along with the things that are not going so well.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
He played a bad game. It happens.

It only happens to players Ted Thompson puts on the roster!! muwhahaha

The kid had bad footing and didn't know how to adjust to it. I saw many people slipping and falling. It was like a ice rink for some of them. Like the ST coach said, he should have figured out the cleat situation pre game, but when the field got worn out a little, the surface grip changed and beat Crosby.

I didn't sense any major concern from the staff, so I'm going to just trust them and see how he plays later.

I don't think we have a home game again until the Vikings come here November 11th. Hopefully it'll be really REALLY bad weather so that Peterson character doesn't put the Packers in the record book for being the first 300+ yards a game RB lol

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think we would be making excuses for the kid if we had lost this game by three points?

not making excuses for him. He needs to be perfect if the TEAM plans on continuing this run.

but if we lost that game by 3 points, it wouldnt be his fault alone. The team would have gotten themselves in that situation, not Crosby alone. Its a team game.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Do you think we would be making excuses for the kid if we had lost this game by three points?

I thought about that already and my standpoint would remain the same. But I don't think I've made excuses for him, I've just came to the conclusion that I'm not going to worry too much about it. I've kicked in sloppy weather before and if you don't have the proper foot wear, no matter how good you are, you will miss at times.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:

not making excuses for him. He needs to be perfect if the TEAM plans on continuing this run.

but if we lost that game by 3 points, it wouldnt be his fault alone. The team would have gotten themselves in that situation, not Crosby alone. Its a team game.

so then everyone has to be perfect every single play?

MontanaBob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately kickers happen to standout because they are all alone when they perform their chores. I was a punter and holder for our placekicker and I know how that feels. Shank a punt and everyone is pointing at you....stuff a running back for a loss and we say, "well that didn't work. Let's try something else." but we don't usually point fingers at someone.

Just once I'd like the PA announcer to broadcast for all to hear, on every play, #77 sure missed that block. That's why Favre got sacked." I'll bet those linemen couldn't dig a hole fast enough to crawl into and hide.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The kid had a bad day and we still won, so apparently he could afford to have a bad day.
I don't expect him to have many more, but like everyone else he will have one every now and again.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts