Mario Williams read

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NCS had a very good defense and a very bad offense this year. Anyway I thought some may be interested in this article.

Stepping out

(Defensive end Mario Williams is considered one of the top prospects in the 2006 NFL Draft. As a junior at North Carolina State, Williams helped lead the Wolfpack to a 7-5 record and a shutout bowl victory over South Florida. Williams' 14½ sacks and 24 tackles for loss propelled N.C. State to a No. 8 national ranking in total defense. NFL.com brings you updates from Williams as he approaches the draft. This week, Williams talks about his decision to turn pro and his preparation for the NFL.)

(Jan. 26, 2006) -- I've always had the dream of playing in the NFL. I remember thinking about it in high school, thinking about the steps I needed to take. It really is a once-in-a-lifetime chance, to have an opportunity to do something so special, and I just feel blessed to have that opportunity.

At the same time, preparing for the draft and getting drafted are two more steps in the process of playing in the NFL, so I just keep preparing and working hard to make sure my dream comes true.

Mario Williams isn't taking a rest in his preparation for the draft.
Of course I talked it over with my family, and we all felt comfortable with the position I was in. I eventually want to come back and finish my degree -- that's something I would like to do. But I just felt I had done pretty well on the football field, and it's now time to take the next step.

I actually thought about whether to leave for the NFL or not during the whole 2005 season. It's been on my mind for some time. Still, I didn't let it distract me from a great year. Some of my favorite memories are from this past season.

My whole junior year is something I'll always remember, rallying, coming back, making the bowl, and getting a bowl shutout. We really had to fight our way in to that bowl, and then for our defense to pitch a shutout, it was pretty special.

Playing with (Chargers QB) Philip Rivers as a freshman was pretty special too. I remember how the team felt like it was never out of any game. He always brought us back, and he had a way of carrying the team on his shoulders.

And I also remember my first career sack, which came against Wake Forest my freshman year. I definitely had a great time at N.C. State.

Challenges ahead
I've spent my whole life in North Carolina. So right now is a really exciting time for me. I'm stepping out there in the real world; I'm growing, and it's a new challenge, but a challenge I welcome with open arms. It's hard to explain how exciting it all is.

Right now, I'm living in Phoenix, Ariz., training in a facility to prepare for the draft. The group I'm working with is called Athletes' Performance (API). The program I'm on is great. I'm getting stronger from the core out, from the thighs, hips and stomach, then working out. We really focus on the fundamentals and build on top of that. It helps with balance and translation of power, and that will help with all the testing that will be going on.

I like it here, but it's really dry. I always have to have my lotion with me. I try to look at the bright side and say at least I have a break from the humidity at North Carolina, but it's definitely a new experience.

I haven't been invited to the combine yet, and it's something I'm beginning to get anxious about. I'm ready to get out there and do what I can do, and just let it go. If I am invited to the combine, then I'll be glad to go; I would most definitely participate if I'm invited.

I've got no doubts about being ready for the NFL. When you talk about the draft, especially this year, I haven't seen someone with my size coming out [Williams is 6-foot-7 and 290 pounds]. Guys in the league are getting bigger and bigger all the time, so I definitely feel like I've got an advantage, being blessed with the size that I have.

It should continue to be an exciting time

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the read traxx. I like what I read. He seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders.

Keep that lotion with you Mario.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually bring some winter clothes with you because you can bring them to GB with you and be the next Julius Peppers!!!!!

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. Both are outstanding. I lean towards Mario because he is outstanding at a premium position. Also the position talent is deeper at LB meaning we can get talent closer to Hawk in the second or third round than we can to Mario.

Members online

Latest posts