Looking Down the Road

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:-? What we know is that our nieghbors on the other side of the Big Muddy have now put in place a good coach, have excellent players and scads of moola to play with. What are the Packers heading into? We have a total of 21 Free Agents in various categories. Most of them can hit the road at no loss to GB. The team as it stands today has only six healthy NFL quality players on the roster. Some of those are in the Free Agency category as well. We have an untested head coach that hails from a series of losing teams and there are those that claim that Green bay is not in a re-building mode. If Brett comes back do we admit that this is a re-building season or continue to hold the position that we're just tweaking the roster? Most of IR players are also questionable as to being able to perform next season. I don't see all this as a very promising outlook for 2006. Any thoughts?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if I agree about Childress being a good coach. The fact is, no one really knows whether any of these first timers is any good because none of them have done the job before. Also, we have more cap room than the Queenies.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well....I feel better.

How is our coach "untested" and theirs is a "good coach". Ours at least has called his own plays. Childress was never the real playcaller in Philly. Andy Reid calls the plays.

OP
OP
C

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Well....I feel better.

How is our coach "untested" and theirs is a "good coach". Ours at least has called his own plays. Childress was never the real playcaller in Philly. Andy Reid calls the plays.
Guess you compare the 49er's success with the Eagles? Regardless of who called the actual plays I'm sure that Childress has substantial input. One has to wonder why Childress canceled any contact with Thompson as soon as he was offered the Viking position?

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chibiabos:

Living out here on the banks of the Mighty Missouri, I am forced to listen to Viking promotion year round. Every year between March and August, I have to listen to how good the Vikings are going to be. I got crap about the MM hire and how Childress was a goddsend. Well Childress had an All Pro offensive line, McNabb, Westbrook, and Owens; and a top 10 defense to get him good field position all the time. MM had what exactly in SF to work with? I don't think I can name more than 3 players from that offense.

The Vikings have one a lot of championships with the media in the offseason, but their tropy case is still empty. Let's just see if a Daunte can run the WCO before we annoint anything to the Queens. I saw his Fed Ex commercial, something tells me he doesn't read a script too well yet alone that thick WCO playbook.

Your point on the GB rebuilding or tweaking does warrant alot of discussion though. I think with all the youth on the roster, you have to consider it rebuilding. I'm looking forward to the draft and free agency with much enthusiasm this year, as we are finally going to be able to afford and draft some impact playmakers.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy or Childress? Who knows? Only time will tell which one of if both of these guys turn out to be quality head coaches. I honestly believe that the best head coaches surround themselves with a great staff of teachers and motivators. All the great one's have long lines of assistants that go on to have opportunities to be a head coach. The great coaches understand talent and know how to use it. So school is still out yet on who will be the best.

I too however, am worried about the state of the Packer team. We have too many free agents, but truth be known, most aren't worth keeping. We have too many people coming off of major injury to know if they can still play at a high level. Having said that, if we can find two guard, the offense will work if Brett comes back and if they can reign him in. Our defense got better last year and I think Sanders is a heck of a fine hire. We still need a starting corner, a starting middle linebacker and defense end that both rush the QB and stop the run. If all of those spots get filled, we'll make some noise again.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
chibiabos said:
:-? What we know is that our nieghbors on the other side of the Big Muddy have now put in place a good coach, have excellent players and scads of moola to play with. What are the Packers heading into? We have a total of 21 Free Agents in various categories. Most of them can hit the road at no loss to GB. The team as it stands today has only six healthy NFL quality players on the roster. Some of those are in the Free Agency category as well. We have an untested head coach that hails from a series of losing teams and there are those that claim that Green bay is not in a re-building mode. If Brett comes back do we admit that this is a re-building season or continue to hold the position that we're just tweaking the roster? Most of IR players are also questionable as to being able to perform next season. I don't see all this as a very promising outlook for 2006. Any thoughts?

Nothin' like a pick me up after a lousy Monday at work! :evil:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
DePack said:
Well....I feel better.

He did install plays during the week according to Reid..But who is to say he used those same plays during game time?

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
vikefan, we have more cap room that you guys do this year.
The Vikes under Red didn't spend anywhere near the cap max. Wilf said he will, if need be.That remains to be seen, of course.
Also spending all your cap money doesn't guarantee anything, but it's a nice change from being cheap, which gets you nowhere.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We don't know that Childress is a good coach, if they have such excellant players why weren't they in the playoffs, yes they do have money to use but so do we. Most of our injured plalyer should come back healthy, it's not like 30 years ago, the medical treatments are infinitely better. Green's is probably the most questionable. I feel we are in as good a position as any team in our division and most of the NFC.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Big Muddy?? It's pristine! Compare it to much of the US especially the West.

2) The Packers only lost those games on final field goals.

3) They have Culpepper.

4) They are paying Culpepper.

5) They are the lowest revenue team in the league.

6) They are installing new offense and defense.

7) Culpepper must learn the new offense(he won't practice prior to camp).

8) The Metrodome(C'mon when was the last MNF there? ABC hates it.)

9) Their best player is Darren Sharper.

Things may not look good for the Packers now but not as bad as those no names.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if the Vikes round up all the perfect pieces, they'll still screw up their season somehow. They always do. They're the Vikings, remember? :lol:

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vixtalkn said:
Even if the Vikes round up all the perfect pieces, they'll still screw up their season somehow. They always do. They're the Vikings, remember? :lol:
I stick my tongue out at you!
Phhhllllbbbtt!!! :p :p :p

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ToPackerfan,

Not that this matters other then I like accuracy, but the Queens are projected to be $2 million more under the cap then us. Of course after potential adjustments (for example a Favre retirement) both teams could be the same or we could have more.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wel Robin, I've heard the opposite, that the Packers have the most cap room this offseason (of course we do have more players to sign which might be the reason for the discord)

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
courtesy of askthecommish.com (reliable)

Projected 2006 NFL Salary Cap Space for Each Team

Under the cap:

1 Cleveland Browns $31 M
Considering the lack of star power in Cleveland it should come as no surprise that they are in excellent cap shape. With the well publicized front office discord that occurred at the conclusion of the season, it will be interesting to see if the team is willing to spend some money this off-season -- and if so, how will they spend it?

2 Arizona Cardinals $30 M
With all of the cap room the Cardinals have, the first thing they need to do is figure out what to do with their QB situation as both Josh McCown and Kurt Warner are set to become free agents. Of course, the Cardinals could decide to go in a different direction entirely.

3 Minnesota Vikings $24 M
Despite everything else that's gone wrong in the twin cities this year -- from ticket scalping to waving goodbye to Randy to taking trips on the love boat to watching an All Pro QB blow out his knee -- the Vikings continue to do a good job in managing their cap. With Tice gone, here's hoping that new head coach, Brad Childress, can convince ownership to spend some of that money on filling some holes -- and retaining some key free agents.

4 Green Bay Packers $22 M
The Packers are sure to endure one of the wildest off-seasons in the club's history. Will Brett Favre stay or will he go? There are a good 7 million reasons (or dollars) why he may want to come back. Even so, the Packers have plenty of cap room to bring him in some reinforcements along the OL and a quality (er, healthy) RB to boot.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course if a new collective bargaining agreement is not agreed upon there will be no salary cap for 2006. That would be crazy!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:
Of course if a new collective bargaining agreement is not agreed upon there will be no salary cap for 2006. That would be crazy!

There is one for 2006...It is 2007 there might not be one...

OP
OP
C

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothin' like a pick me up after a lousy Monday at work! :evil:[/quote]
Time to give up that job and become free lance reporter for the Pack

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings may not even have Culpeper. Despite a bad season and then getting hurt, he wants more money. One rumor is that he might end up with the Raiders.

Aceschnd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ha the Raiders. Thats where all decent players go to die. Hopefully T.O. ends up there with him, and they can have T.O. and Moss and still lose.

Members online

Latest posts