Lets talk about anything EXCEPT Adrian Hubbard. (formerly Adrian Hubbard feels some MM love)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'll provide one more comment on this issue in the form of an analogy...
Here's my modification of HRE’s analogy: A guy is driving down the street going 20 mph. He’s consumed a lethal amount of alcohol. The radio is blaring so loud it causes an aneurism close to his brain to burst, causing him to crash into a telephone pole. The air bag ejects a metal projectile into his throat. He dies 5 minutes after hitting the pole. The coroner can’t decide if it was the lethal amount of vodka, the aneurism or the projectile which caused his death so she writes all three on the death certificate. ;)

Brandon Bostick had one of the all-time, ill-timed brain freezes in Packers history. The Packers offense made a net 2-yards in two consecutive 3-and-out possessions with less than 7 minutes in regulation and with the Seahawk’s D crowding the LOS. Peppers gave Burnett the “get down” signal which he does at the Packers’ 43. Burnett had a couple of Packers in front of him along with three Seahawk OL and Wilson who was standing flat footed when Burnett went down. The Packers D melted down. I pronounce the cause of death to be a cluster schtoop confluence of all of the above.

D

Deleted member 6794

The question was why not throw at this impaired DB. I provided the answer, and why the Polamalu situation was different. In other words, had the Packers chosen to throw, there's no reason to believe the receiver Thomas would have been covering would have been any more open than otherwise. That should have been obvious. I'm always disappointed when you nit pick stuff that doesn't even matter. Trees vs. forest.

Whether to throw at all is a different question. And that's not the question I was responding to.

Well, with your main focus on not turning the ball over in that situation it would have been awfully tough for either Thomas or Sherman to intercept a ball with one healthy arm.

Reaction score
I think the 3 and outs with zero productivity on offense when a single first down would have changed things dramatically are more than just trees in a forest. I think 1 first down, gaining a measly 10 yards would have resulted in the Packers playing in the Super Bowl. Instead it just added fuel to the Seahawks
First and foremost. I'm 100% in agreement with the 1 first down theory.
Id like to give MM the benefit of the doubt here, his D just held Seattle to a 1st half shutout and his star QB is clearly playing with a moderately serious injury (limping for 1st downs) and risking further injury. The prudent decision would be to gradually decrease further injury risk to your MVP QB by becoming more conservative on Offense as the likelyhood of a win increases.
I have little to zero doubt in my mind that if Aaron was 100% (or even close) against Seattle that the play calling would have been more aggressive overall.
It all comes down to Aaron and his health. Everyone knows a healthy Rodgers would've put that game away with an option play or a sneak on any number of "goal to go" scenarios or to gain that final" 1st down"
I'd argue that a 1st down inside 2-3 minutes on the clock = TD

D

Deleted member 6794

First and foremost. I'm 100% in agreement with the 1 first down theory.
Id like to give MM the benefit of the doubt here, his D just held Seattle to a 1st half shutout and his star QB is clearly playing with a moderately serious injury (limping for 1st downs) and risking further injury. The prudent decision would be to gradually decrease further injury risk to your MVP QB by becoming more conservative on Offense as the likelyhood of a win increases.
I have little to zero doubt in my mind that if Aaron was 100% (or even close) against Seattle that the play calling would have been more aggressive overall.
It all comes down to Aaron and his health. Everyone knows a healthy Rodgers would've put that game away with an option play or a sneak on any number of "goal to go" scenarios or to gain that final" 1st down"
I'd argue that a 1st down inside 2-3 minutes on the clock = TD

Take a look at what happened after the Seahawks took the lead with their defense being fully aware the Packers will throw the ball.

First play Rodgers hits Nelson for 15 yards. Next one Rodgers to Cobb for another 15 yards followed by a 12 yard scramble from #12.

Only one of these plays wins the game after Burnett's interception. Yet McCarthy decided it was a great idea to run three times into a stacked box.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't who knew what or when, but the fact of the matter is a DB with a gimpy leg is prone to giving up separation and a good QB sees it and throws his way. A guy with a bum shoulder or a elbow is not so inhibited, particularly a safety who's not called upon for press coverage. In this case, it was arguably the best safety in the game. If a DB is in some way impaired, but it does not give up separation, a good QB will be looking to the next option in the progression.

Sherman is a VERY physical corner. With an injured elbow, he's not nearly as physical. Call running plays that target Sherman/Thomas. You can't do ANY of these things when nobody on offense knows that the two best defensive players on the other team are injured.

I'm not sure if your quote above is defending the lack of knowledge? Are you trying to say that the offense not knowing about injured defensive players isn't an issue?

H

HardRightEdge

Well, with your main focus on not turning the ball over in that situation it would have been awfully tough for either Thomas or Sherman to intercept a ball with one healthy arm.
It certainly would be difficult for Thomas or Sherman to intercept a ball not thrown at them. I would not consider that a clever observation.

H

HardRightEdge

Here's my modification of HRE’s analogy: A guy is driving down the street going 20 mph. He’s consumed a lethal amount of alcohol. The radio is blaring so loud it causes an aneurism close to his brain to burst, causing him to crash into a telephone pole. The air bag ejects a metal projectile into his throat. He dies 5 minutes after hitting the pole. The coroner can’t decide if it was the lethal amount of vodka, the aneurism or the projectile which caused his death so she writes all three on the death certificate. ;)

Brandon Bostick had one of the all-time, ill-timed brain freezes in Packers history. The Packers offense made a net 2-yards in two consecutive 3-and-out possessions with less than 7 minutes in regulation and with the Seahawk’s D crowding the LOS. Peppers gave Burnett the “get down” signal which he does at the Packers’ 43. Burnett had a couple of Packers in front of him along with three Seahawk OL and Wilson who was standing flat footed when Burnett went down. The Packers D melted down. I pronounce the cause of death to be a cluster schtoop confluence of all of the above.
Not that it matters, but your analogy is somewhat flawed. In the GM ignition switch debacle, where the ignition would suddenly turn off while driving thereby disabling the power steering, power brakes and air bags, of the first 25 or so documented cases of a resulting death or disability, about half the drivers where toxicology was done were found to be driving while impaired. They, or their estates, will be paid very handsomely regardless.

Note: This post conforms with the "anything but" subject matter of this thread.

D

Deleted member 6794

It certainly would be difficult for Thomas or Sherman to intercept a ball not thrown at them. I would not consider that a clever observation.

Most of the time I really appreciate your insight to a lot of topics being discussed on the forum, HRE.

I really have a hard time understanding your point of view on McCarthy's play calling within the last few minutes of the NFCCG though.

There's no denying the defense completely messed up in the last five minutes but you denying the offense and special teams are to blame as well doesn't make any sense to me.

Once again, please explain to me why it makes sense to run the ball against a defense stacking the box when the offense was obviously capable to get three first downs in a row with the defense expecting a pass???

H

HardRightEdge

Oce again, please explain to me why it makes sense to run the ball against a defense stacking the box when the offense was obviously capable to get three first downs in a row with the defense expecting a pass???
No, I will not explain it again.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I will not explain it again.
Good for you HardRight. They should rename this forum Rope a Dope because you are asked again and again to explain comments that a Pop Warner player would understand. Like you, I'm done answering one good question more than once, and completely ignoring ignorant requests such as this one you recently received. Well done!!!!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Like you, I'm done answering one good question more than once, and completely ignoring ignorant requests such as this one you recently received.
Perhaps you should also be done asking questions that have been answered more than once:
Why was CMIII on the sideline for the last 5 minutes of the NFCCG? Plain ol exhausted? Seems hard to buy given that guy's motor.
:D