Letroy Guion will start at NT

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting that Silverstein has Pennel as the next man up, IF he's active on game day.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting that Silverstein has Pennel as the next man up, IF he's active on game day.

Well, it seems like the Packers want to keep Boyd primarily at DE, so it´s no surprise Pennel would be next in line.

I expect him to be active vs. Seattle as Tretter has already been ruled out and Bostick and Goodson probably won´t be able to play either. I think the team will only dress two QBs and don´t see Bradford and Mulumba making the 46. My guess is that the last inactive will be one of Janis, Lattimore, Barrington, Elliott or Richardson.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it seems like the Packers want to keep Boyd primarily at DE, so it´s no surprise Pennel would be next in line.

I expect him to be active vs. Seattle as Tretter has already been ruled out and Bostick and Goodson probably won´t be able to play either. I think the team will only dress two QBs and don´t see Bradford and Mulumba making the 46. My guess is that the last inactive will be one of Janis, Lattimore, Barrington, Elliott or Richardson.
It's surprising to me there's any question of Pennel being active.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

It's surprising to me there's any question of Pennel being active.

Well, with Peppers, Perry and Neal capable of playing at DE the Packers could think about dressing only four DL. Highly unlikely though.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, with Peppers, Perry and Neal capable of playing at DE the Packers could think about dressing only four DL. Highly unlikely though.
You could be right--Packers play 2 down linemen ~70% of the time, don't they? They'll need a lot of guys able to contain Wilson on the run, so maybe Pennel sits this one out.

gemoran4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You could be right--Packers play 2 down linemen ~70% of the time, don't they? They'll need a lot of guys able to contain Wilson on the run, so maybe Pennel sits this one out.

Good point, but going small (or having minimal dlineman) worries me as well. They can easily just turn to Marshawn Lynch, Michael and Turbin and just pound the ball between the tackles and wear our interior defense out. I'd prefer to have at least some more size active so we can make the adjustment if needed.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Good point, but going small (or having minimal dlineman) worries me as well. They can easily just turn to Marshawn Lynch, Michael and Turbin and just pound the ball between the tackles and wear our interior defense out. I'd prefer to have at least some more size active so we can make the adjustment if needed.

Here´s the post I mentioned in a different thread just minutes ago about the correlation between size on the DL and success stopping the run. Spoiler alert: there isn´t any!!!

I tried to figure out if the average weight of the defensive lineman plays a role in a team´s run defense. So I calculated the average weight on the DL of teams which played a 3-4 defense last season. Here´s what I came up with:

It seems like weight doesn´t significantly affect a team´s run defense, it´s all about having talented players either on the line or at ILB.

Two of the best run defenses (Arizona and San Francisco) boasted two of the lightest DL playing a 3-4 with both teams having above average ILBs. The NY Jets (3rd best run defense) on the other side featured one of the heaviest DL in football, featuring the best run stopping NT in football in Damon Harrison.

There was no obvious correlation between having more weight on the DL resulting in better run defense.

Here are the numbers for anyone interested (ranked by average weight on the DL as well as information about average weight at DE and 2013 run defense rank):

Baltimore 331.3 327.0 11
Green Bay 326.8 322.3 25
NY Jets 319.7 304.5 3
New Orleans 319.0 305.5 19
Cleveland 318.0 313.8 18
Buffalo 314.8 309.3 28
Washington 312.2 314.5 17
San Diego 310.0 300.0 12
Kansas City 308.8 296.3 22
Indianapolis 308.6 305.8 26
Philadelphia 300.8 296.0 10
Pittsburgh 298.3 291.0 21
Arizona 296.0 290.0 1
Houston 293.5 288.0 23
San Francisco 291.0 289.5 4

I was surprised though that the Packers DL was (aside of the Ravens) by far the heaviest in the league playing a 3-4.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Making the assumption that at least one of the coaches taught the OLB's/DE's how to keep contain on the edges, we'll need to also maintain some middle-pocket integrity as well. Wilson isn't as dangerous bottled-up in the pocket, but we (Packers) can't let him sprint up the middle, either. That'll require the NT to stay home and occupy 2 blockers, allowing the ILB (not in coverage) to make a stop if RW tries running up the middle.

After having sat out 3 weeks of TC I'm not 100% sold that Guion is 100% healthy ~ gotta suit-up Pennel.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
I presume that'll happen anyway. 5 DL active on gameday is normal for us. We kept only 5 pure DL.
I have a feeling we are going to see Peppers and Neal in a 3 point from time to time......mixing it up a little

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling we are going to see Peppers and Neal in a 3 point from time to time......mixing it up a little

Certainly possible, perhaps even likely. I still suspect they'll want 5 "real" d-line if no reason other than short yardage and goal line defense.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Me too. I think we are going to see Peppers coming from different angles and stances in order to disrupt the O-Line and hopefully get Matthews into one on one situations with the tackle.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Guion was getting blown off the line with regularity. How many times did Collinsworth say the Packers missed Raji? At least twice. The guy has an impaired memory.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion was getting blown off the line with regularity. How many times did Collinsworth say the Packers missed Raji? At least twice. The guy has an impaired memory.

Raji was very inconsistent but he did play well the final 2-3 games of the season last year including San Fran. If Raji was motivated he would have been a tremendous upgrade over Guion.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did, the annoucers said he basically was sucking..... started watching him, he got pushed around like a baby. He is a weak b*tch.

I'm going to hope that he was just really really rusty. He was terrible and fell backwards everytime Unger breathed on him

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that's the type of play we can expect from our interior D-line I'm all for bringing Pickett back in. Knock on Pick was that he held the point and stacked the line, but couldn't generate any push. Holding the point and stacking the line would be an upgrade to Guion (& others) getting moved off the ball allowing gaping holes. I know, I know ~ Pickett is old and his tank is near empty... but would be better than most other options available (Alan Branch, Isaac Sopoaga, ??)

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that's the type of play we can expect from our interior D-line I'm all for bringing Pickett back in. Knock on Pick was that he held the point and stacked the line, but couldn't generate any push. Holding the point and stacking the line would be an upgrade to Guion (& others) getting moved off the ball allowing gaping holes. I know, I know ~ Pickett is old and his tank is near empty... but would be better than most other options available (Alan Branch, Isaac Sopoaga, ??)

Knock on Pickett was that he kept wearing down over the course of the season. Doubt you could get more than 10-15 snaps a game out of him.

Members online

Latest posts