Lambeau dome ?

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
(1) Super Bowl? Will never happen. Not enough hotel rooms available. (2) Won't really bring in the that much. (3) Green Bay is on the global map, ever hear of the "Green Bay Packers". :)

Probably the reason why there are not a lot of hotel rooms in the Green Bay area is that they are only booked solid 8 weekends a year. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tale either side of the 'only because of the Packer home games' argument. Now, how does that affect the 'no SB' contention?

Sky King

Reaction score
QUOTE="HardRightEdge, post: 693735, member: 6804"](QUOTE="HardRightEdge, post: 693735, member: 6804"](1) That can be managed. (2) Oh, yeah? Even an ordinary 11th. football weekend is significant. (3) A billion people watch the Super Bowl. Only about 100 million of those are in the US, and half of them couldn't find Wisconsin on a map. Marie Lombardi couldn't. ;)[/QUOTE]. (2) Oh, yeah? Even an ordinary 11th. football weekend is significant. (3) A billion people watch the Super Bowl. Only about 100 million of those are in the US, and half of them couldn't find Wisconsin on a map. Marie Lombardi couldn't. ;)[/QUOTE]

Number of hotel rooms - Top Ten US Cities
Las Vegas 167,730
Orlando 121,802
New York 117,367
Chicago 111,408
Washington, D.C.. 107,776
L.A./Long Beach 98,166
Dallas 79,572
Houston 79,255
Boston 52,119
Miami/Hialeah 51,498

Number of hotel rooms in the Greater Green Bay Area 4,300 (Source: Green Bay Convention & Visitors Bureau)
;)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Who says a Super Bowl has to be for the rich and famous? Let's have a throwback Super Bowl, $20 tickets and tents in the parking lot, it will bring us all closer! :coffee:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Image, brand building. It's called free municipal advertising.
There is nothing free about hosting a Super Bowl. Go search for the criteria, which were leaked during one of the recent bid submission periods. Almost all of the taxes are negotiated away. The local, regional, and state authorities are required to provide all kinds of free police presence, security, perks, etc. It's actually very expensive to host a SB. The ONLY benefit is to the local businesses. However, if I remember HRE - don't you live around Buffalo? So you'll remember the SB at the Meadowlands a few years ago. NJ paid for all of the costs yet the SB Committee hosted most of their events in New York. So NJ paid all of the money and NY got the meager benefits. My guess is that Green Bay would foot most of the costs and Milwaukee would skim some if not most of the benefits. It would be very expensive municipal advertising for the Green Bay area.

H

HardRightEdge

A dome in not a requirement for a SB.
There is nothing free about hosting a Super Bowl. Go search for the criteria, which were leaked during one of the recent bid submission periods. Almost all of the taxes are negotiated away. The local, regional, and state authorities are required to provide all kinds of free police presence, security, perks, etc. It's actually very expensive to host a SB. The ONLY benefit is to the local businesses. However, if I remember HRE - don't you live around Buffalo? So you'll remember the SB at the Meadowlands a few years ago. NJ paid for all of the costs yet the SB Committee hosted most of their events in New York. So NJ paid all of the money and NY got the meager benefits. My guess is that Green Bay would foot most of the costs and Milwaukee would skim some if not most of the benefits. It would be very expensive municipal advertising for the Green Bay area.
It's about 400 miles by road and 300 miles by air from Buffalo to NYC metro. Buffalo is culturally a blue collar town. Given the geographical and cultural gulf, Buffalo has a lot more in common with Cleveland, Detroit or even Green Bay. While the people of Buffalo care about what comes out of Albany (that's the state capital by the way), the goings and doings in NYC are off the radar, which goes to my earlier point about geographical awareness. ;)

Your point regarding Milwaukee is well taken. When I said the accommodations issue could be worked around, that's what I envisioned...bussing up on game day. It's clear bringing a SB to Green Bay would need to be a state effort more than a municipal one. Conveniently and obviously, Milwaukee and Green Bay are in the same state which was not the case with the Meadowlands game. Those guys back bite each other using bridge closings. ;)

Yes, you do need to measure the value of municipal advertising. As for, "The ONLY [direct] benefit is to the local businesses", that is hardly an insignificant consideration. However, just think...you could rent out bedrooms in your house on Airbnb for a few hundreds per night! ;)

It's interesting to consider from the standpoint of a thought experiment. Clearly it would be many years before the recent capital investments are recovered before it could begin to be contemplated. This thread is a midweek entertainment.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I know your part of the world. I've worked around the Meadowlands off and on for the last six years, worked in Albany, worked in Catskill, Newburgh, Utica, and the finger lakes around Syracuse. I've never had the honor of visiting Buffalo yet... I'd certainly find some good wings.

I'm not blind to the significant impact that the Super Bowl would have on Krolls, Stadium View, and the average joe who rents out their home. Most people do look at it through the microeconomic lens but the macro benefits and consequences are equally important.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Have to say it...god help me...had that roof come to fruition, it appears to be the same type of roof that Minneapolis put on the Metrodump. A roof supported by the internal air pressure...except when you get 2 feet of snow over a 3 day period.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's bad as that graphic artist nut just looking to make a buck suggesting they change the G logo.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He calls it a "gem."
Well, that is just like his opinion man.
More like an atrocity.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He calls it a "gem."
Well, that is just like his opinion man.
More like an atrocity.

I think he would agree with you that the dome would be an atrocity. The gem he is referring to is the study itself. I would think that most collectors of Packers memorabilia would find this a great piece to add to their collection. I know I would and for $5.00 even.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who owns the stadium ? Brown County ?

Robert

Green Bay Taxpayers paid $930,000 for the bulding of new City Stadium in 1956 (renamed Lambeau Field in 1965). City of Green Bay paid $75,000 for the 30 acres of land that Lambeau Field is located on. . The City of Green Bay owned the Stadium from 1956 to 20o3

The owner ship changed in 2003, when The 1/2% Brown County Stadium sales tax came in effect to pay for part of the complete renovation of Lambeau Field.
Now Green Bay has somewhere between 80% to 90% owner ship of LF and rest of Brown County has either 10% or 20% ownership of LF.

From 1919 to this date in 2016 , the Packers have never owned the stadiums they used . The Packers always leased the Stadiums they used

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't plan super bowls for a living, but considering the travel times and distance to and from things that happens in the major metro areas, GB could handle a Super Bowl. Most times people are a good hour from the stadium anyway, and that includes all the media and their support staffs. It's not like everyone is parked outside the stadium, the last super bowl the packers played in, the stadium was almost an hour from where it was held, and probably longer with traffic at that time.

Put an hour or so radius around GB and you get all those other places and include parts of MKE with another half our of travel time and there will be plenty of accommodations to get it done.

That said, it's not about the game anymore, it's about the fluff around it. The game could be played. The fans could be accommodated for like any other place. But the league would have to find new ways to fluff the event and they don't want their fluffers working too hard. I'd prefer it got back to being about the game, but that's just me.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robert

Green Bay Taxpayers paid $930,000 for the bulding of new City Stadium in 1956 (renamed Lambeau Field in 1965). City of Green Bay $75,000 for the 30 acres of land that Lambeau Field is located on. . The City of Green Bay owned the Stadium from 1956 to 20o3

The owner ship changed in 2003, when The 1/2% Brown County Stadium sales tax came in effect to pay for the complete renovation of Lambeau Field.
Now Green Bay has somewhere between 80% to 90% owner ship of LF and rest of Brown County has either 10% or 20% ownership of LF.

From 1919 to this date in 2016 , the Packers have never owned the stadiums they used . The Packers always leased the Stadiums they used

Thanks for that information... I hope the team never gets evicted !

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't plan super bowls for a living, but considering the travel times and distance to and from things that happens in the major metro areas, GB could handle a Super Bowl. Most times people are a good hour from the stadium anyway, and that includes all the media and their support staffs. It's not like everyone is parked outside the stadium, the last super bowl the packers played in, the stadium was almost an hour from where it was held, and probably longer with traffic at that time.

Put an hour or so radius around GB and you get all those other places and include parts of MKE with another half our of travel time and there will be plenty of accommodations to get it done.

That said, it's not about the game anymore, it's about the fluff around it. The game could be played. The fans could be accommodated for like any other place. But the league would have to find new ways to fluff the event and they don't want their fluffers working too hard. I'd prefer it got back to being about the game, but that's just me.

The fluff is where the money is though so it will never go back to being just about the game. From a game standpoint there is no reason why it couldn't be held a week after the conference championship games but they need the extra week to get in the fluff. Its nice to have the extra week for the coaches to plan for teams they hardly ever see but both teams would be in the same boat so its not really a problem. for the players most of the extra week is taken up with media crap anyway.

Could they play a SB in Green Bay? Of course the could, but IMO they never will. Even with a dome I just don't think the area could accommodate the league like the league wants to be accommodated.

I like how baseball is. It's a 7 game world series it starts on this day, there are built in travel days and if game 7 falls on a Wednesday night so be it. Could you imagine pushing game 7 back 3 or 4 days to get a weekend time slot or to hype it up even more. Yes the whole thing is stretched out over more than week (if it goes to a game 7) but those days are note really any different for the players and coaches and other than the title being on the line the schedule is not much different from any other 7 game stretch in the regular season. They don't add 3 more days for fluff.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he would agree with you that the dome would be an atrocity. The gem he is referring to is the study itself. I would think that most collectors of Packers memorabilia would find this a great piece to add to their collection. I know I would and for $5.00 even.
Really?
Plans for a dumb idea that never took off is a "gem?"
Um... OK.. whatever. If that's what you guys want to think.
Just that I think a gem would be Lombardi's hat or something else that everyone else would want that Packers fans recognizes.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably the reason why there are not a lot of hotel rooms in the Green Bay area is that they are only booked solid 8 weekends a year. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Green Bay area hotels also fill up with the EAA in Oshkosh overflow, and the state girls VB and BB tournaments. These especially if local teams are not playing. Also a few conventions pack the place. Training camp brings a consistent influx also. EAA and training camp sometimes overlap.

H

HardRightEdge

Really?
Plans for a dumb idea that never took off is a "gem?"
Um... OK.. whatever. If that's what you guys want to think.
Just that I think a gem would be Lombardi's hat or something else that everyone else would want that Packers fans recognizes.
His $5 comment would indicate sarcasm.

OP
OP
Robert Mason

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From a collectors viewpoint it might be very valuable if it is a one of a kind item regardless to it's subject. Like a Ford Edsel, it was a disaster of a car, but if you had one now in good condition it would probably be worth a lot. Collector value is based on rarity, not subject.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From a collectors viewpoint it might be very valuable if it is a one of a kind item regardless to it's subject. Like a Ford Edsel, it was a disaster of a car, but if you had one now in good condition it would probably be worth a lot. Collector value is based on rarity, not subject.
I think the dome plans are more valuable in terms of sentimental than monetary.

What is the highest amount you or anyone else would pay for it and is it something you'd really want?

Members online

Latest posts