Lady Hockey Badgers!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The ladies seem to be the only Wisconsin sports team that consistently has it's sh*t together. That is great! Congrats to the UW ladies. :)

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Mark Johnson is a hell of a good coach and former player. As long as he is there, the Badgers will continue to field (ice?) great teams! What a fun game to watch yesterday and just WOW on Watts game winner!

The Badger Mens Hockey Team turned it around big time this year and tonight got a #1 seed in their bracket. Much like Watts for the Ladies, keep an eye on Cole Caufield, he's a pretty special player.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Mark Johnson. The Miracle on Ice Mark Johnson and his Dad was his coach when THAT Mark Johnson played for the Badgers.

I'm reminded of Kurt Russell's line in the movie. "Who do you play for?" ..and let's not forget, "AGAIN! (tweeeeet")

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mark Johnson. The Miracle on Ice Mark Johnson and his Dad was his coach when THAT Mark Johnson played for the Badgers.

I'm reminded of Kurt Russell's line in the movie. "Who do you play for?" ..and let's not forget, "AGAIN! (tweeeeet")

Badger Bob...."It's a great day for Hockey" is a legend. Badger was a good friend of my Dad's and I actually got to golf with him and his son Pete one time as a kid.

Interesting Fact....Bob coached the 76 Olympic Hockey team and his son Mark was one of the last players he had to make the decision to cut from the team before the Olympics started. All turned out fine, Mark was I think 18 and 4 years later, the huge star on that 1980 Miracle on Ice Team. Perhaps one of my favorite moments in all of the Sports that I have watched in my lifetime.

Final Minute of the "Miracle on Ice" - YouTube

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Badger Bob...."It's a great day for Hockey" is a legend. Badger was a good friend of my Dad's and I actually got to golf with him and his son Pete one time as a kid.

Interesting Fact....Bob coached the 76 Olympic Hockey team and his son Mark was one of the last players he had to make the decision to cut from the team before the Olympics started. All turned out fine, Mark was I think 18 and 4 years later, the huge star on that 1980 Miracle on Ice Team. Perhaps one of my favorite moments in all of the Sports that I have watched in my lifetime.

Final Minute of the "Miracle on Ice" - YouTube
IIRC the Miracle on Ice game was a semifinal. Winning gave the US the title bout with Sweden(?)

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IIRC the Miracle on Ice game was a semifinal. Winning gave the US the title bout with Sweden(?)

I think the U.S. beat Finland in the next game to win the Gold medal.

While the Semi-final game against the USSR contained AL Michael's infamous "Do you believe in Miracles? Yes!" line in the closing moments of the game, I think the entire journey of that incredible underdog of a team was the miracle. Back then only "amateurs" were allowed to compete in the Olympics. So the U.S. team was compromised of mostly young pre-NHL kind of guys, that were playing together in the Olympics for the first time. Whereas many of the eastern block and European teams were members of their countries "Army" and really their main focus was playing on their countries hockey team for years and years. A very Sneaky way back than, to form "International Super Teams (and individuals)" that were still considered to be "amateurs" by the rules.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Uggggg...today was not a "Great Day For Hockey" for the men's team. Probably one of their worst efforts of the Season. Even the Badger goalie got in on the scoring. Trying to clear a normally iced puck, but Bemidiji State was shorthanded so no icing. BS sent one guy to challenge and the Badger goalie basically passed him the puck and he beat the goalie back to a wide open net foe an easy score.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not really a place for this post, but I figure Hockey fans might come here.

Anyone besides me stay up "all night" watching the North Dakota (ND) VS Minnesota Duluth (UMD) game? Holy schnikes! an instant classic! Longest playoff game ever in College Hockey. Went 5 Overtimes! Total play clock time of 142 minutes, 13 seconds. Which is basically equivalent to 2 1/3 games. The UMD Goalie couldn't even stand up in the 4th OT due to cramps and had to be replaced and helped off the ice.

If that had been the Badgers, I think I might have had several heart attacks!

Minnesota Duluth wins epic NCAA hockey game over North Dakota in five overtimes - StarTribune.com

5 OT Minnesota Duluth vs North Dakota Ice Hockey Game Highlights, 2021 NCAA Fargo Regional Final - YouTube

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
As the old saying goes, I don't know a clothes line from a blue line - BUT I do love how those guys beat the snot out of each other.

I pretend to be a Blackhawks fan SOLELY to irritate a lady at work who is a huge Red Wings fan. Never saw him play ... but in this universe Bobby Orr is the GOAT.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
WOW and WOW! The Badgers weren't having that great of a season this year, by their standards. Injuries played a part in it, but they just didn't seem to be rolling with the same energy. Along comes the NCAA Tourney and the Badgers win 3 in a row (2 as underdogs) and boom, Sunday, they will be playing for another National Championship against heavily favored Ohio State.

Last nights OT win against the Gophers was a nail biter and a fun game to watch. Tune in tomorrow @ 3pm on ESPNU to get in on the excitement. Go Bucky!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
The Badgers won the National Championship beating Ohio State 1-0. Go Bucky.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
#7 For the Badgers!!! 2 months ago, nobody thought they would even make it INTO the tournament.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Also impressive for the Badgers, was that in winning the NCAA Championship, they beat Colgate, Minnesota and Ohio State. Those were the #3, #2 and #1 ranked teams in the country, going into the tournament. The Badgers were #6.

This team is loaded with Freshman (7), which I think was why they were off to such a slow start and at one point not too long ago, looked like they might not even make the tourney. This team is going to be competing at the top for quite awhile.

The new USCHO Rankings came out today.

RnkTeam(First Place Votes)RecordPointsLast Poll
1Wisconsin(20)29-10-23006
2Ohio State33-6-22801
3Minnesota30-6-32602
4Northeastern34-3-12335
5Colgate32-6-22173

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts