Klemm COULD work out in GB?! Also other O-line news

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Update on our Offensive Line < ---- click for JSonline article

One thing that stuck out to me was what it said about Klemm:

Behind them are six-year veteran Adrian Klemm, who despite not panning out at guard last year is a solid tackle

Klemm might have a better chance in this offense to succeed at guard because the zone-blocking system better fits his finesse style
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, first of all, I didn't know Klemm was good at tackle. Second of all, I hate Klemm at guard. I think Klemm was TT's biggest mistake and he should not have started as many games as he did(shermans fault? teds? doesnt matter now). But once again, this magical zone blocking scheme opens doors for us. I say give the guy a chance. Normally I would say 'give the guy a bus ticket' but this is new coach, new scheme,etc.

I also liked what was said about our new special teams coach:

Special teams coach Mike Stock said all three punters - B.J. Sander, Jon Ryan and Ryan Flinn - would be in attendance when off-season workouts begin Monday.

Stock said the three won't start punting for at least a week because he wants to work on conditioning, flexibility and ball-handling, but he said it wouldn't be long before he'd get a good idea of what he has.
-----------------------------------------------------------

LOL, clean slate it sounds like. Everyone has a chance...which means...someone will\can easilly outplay Sanders and take his job. THANK GOD!

PS - slow news day! I was expecting at least 1 signing on this saturday

Reaction score
T.O. got signed! :p I know what you mean, maybe TT is working towards something?

I agree with Klemm being given a second chance. I heard Klemm was strong at the point of attack, which was one weakness Whale had (hard to believe for a guy that size). I think the minicamps should give us a good idea of where every one fits into this new scheme, and who our starters will be.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
T.O. got signed! :p I know what you mean, maybe TT is working towards something?

I agree with Klemm being given a second chance. I heard Klemm was strong at the point of attack, which was one weakness Whale had (hard to believe for a guy that size). I think the minicamps should give us a good idea of where every one fits into this new scheme, and who our starters will be.

good thing we get that EXTRA mini camp cuz we got a new HC!

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been saying as much for months -- here is what I wrote about it just last Friday (in Bold).

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:24 am Post subject: Re: Barry re-signs.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just an opinion for what it is worth.

I like the signing of Barry.

It is a front loaded contract -- which this season is a good thing, since clearly Ted Thompson has no intention of signing a bunch of FA to use up the CAP space -- and because it cycles off the books quicker.

Barry is at least a very valuable backup RT and will at least compete for playing time. If something happened to Clifton, Barry could move in at RT freeing Tauscher to move to the Left sign in an emergency.

I know some of you don't want to hear this but here goes any way.

I am NOT writing Klemm off yet!!! Thompson signed him because he loved his athletic ability. He was coming off of an injury and had never played LG before. YES, he struggled in the Packers timing running game, which required the LG to not only pull and trap on most plays, but to hit the plays with perfect timing.

This season the Packers are going to a zone blocking scheme. Klemm's speed and athleticism will serve him well as he competes for a starting job. Further, the guy has the footwork and experience to be the top LT back up.

My 2 cents -- for what its worth.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good call. I personally didnt know he was good at tackle, thats my new hope. IF I hear "Klemm" and "LG" in the same sentence from MM or TT though I will ...FLIP...OUT

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I am hoping for at least one big signing for someone in the middle of the O-line. It would be good to get a player from Denver or Atlanta, if any decent ones are available, so we would have someone with experience in that zone blocking scheme.

The interior O-line is just a mess right now. I hope that somehow this new coaching staff is able to get more out of them.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember Wahle was a washout the first couple of season moving back and forth between G and LT. He totally lost his confidence and was on the verge of being cut. Good thing he and the coaches did not give up on this physically talented young man. The patience and investment ended up giving the Packers perhaps the finest LG in the game and Wahle being financially set for live -- with annual trips to Hawaii each Feb to play in the Pro Bowl.

I am not saying Klemm can become as good as Wahle, though his natural physical skills are impressive. He very well may be the most natural fit in a zone blocking scheme -- and like I said, at worst be a very good LT backup.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is the difference between the Packers blocking scheme last year and the "Zone Blocking Scheme" that they are going to run this year? How are the assignments different and what type of blocker does each favor?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
What is the difference between the Packers blocking scheme last year and the "Zone Blocking Scheme" that they are going to run this year? How are the assignments different and what type of blocker does each favor?

here's a good article on it.

another one here.

some interesting info...

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The new scheme requires unified effort and knowledgable trust in the blockers next to you.

Spending the exhibition season experimenting with O-line configurations will make this a disaster. The starters must be identified early and work together. The line of Tauscher, Whitticker, Wells, The drafted guy, and Clifton should not tampered or experimented upon.

Coston and Barry will have to wait. It may sound harsh but the Packers cannot afford the time wasted on experimentation after the first few days of camp. The key component of the new scheme is teamwork and timing.

Teamwork and timing take time. They starting line should be given it.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well lets not get too worked up over it. i agree very much that they need to be working together a lot, but we get that extra mini camp,etc.

I DO agree that during preseason, the line should not be changed much(if at all) like last year

it was a new line each week.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts