(4)
(5)
(6)
(6)
(6)
(7)
(7)
Green Bay Packers
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Post-draft grade: B+

Summary: When you look at contributions from the rookie class, Green Bay's really had to be graded on a curve. Consider the context. Here was a team coming off a Super Bowl win with more than a dozen players on injured reserve. The team wasn't headed into the draft looking for players to fill major roles. And even then, the Packers found contributors. Derek Sherrod couldn't win a starting role but should get there at some point. Randall Cobb worked his way into a deep group of wide receivers and was a major threat in the return game. That said, I was a little surprised the Packers didn't target a high-ceiling outside linebacker, and the pass rush has fallen off some this season. That was my No. 1 listed need. They added Davon House to the secondary, and he was at least able to see some reps. One good find on defense was D.J. Smith, a sixth-rounder who played in all 16 games and looks like a keeper and potential long-term starter. Considering what they already had in place, not a bad draft.
New grade: B

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably a fair reduction in grading. I'm a little surprised that it didn't drop down to a B- or a C+. So far Sherrod hasn't looked like a first round pick, but more of a 2nd or 3rd rounder that needs lots of time to marinate. The Packers really only got two contributors out of the group in Cobb and DJ Smith, and Smith only because of major injuries. Green is an unknown because of injury. Beyond that, nobody has really cracked the lineup except for a few snaps for Taylor.

Overall it's not a disappointment but at the moment, looks like a drop-off from TT's usual pattern of success. Time will tell with a deep roster though, as these guys may need extra time to break through with a wealth of talent above them.

bubblercheez37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this draft class will turn out to be a modest sucess. Cobb has shown to be a great weapon, and I think has some of the best hands on the team (I have yet to see him bobble a pass since week 8). D.J. Smith will be a starter some day, for the Packers or someone else depending on contracts. But I think we are really going to like Devon House. I know he hasn't done crap this season, but I read a Packer Report acticle about how that was never the plan. Whitt Jr. and Capers didn't want him to see the field this year in order to develop his game a bit more. I think next year he is going to be a stud.

Hits
Cobb
House
Taylor

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably a fair reduction in grading. I'm a little surprised that it didn't drop down to a B- or a C+. So far Sherrod hasn't looked like a first round pick, but more of a 2nd or 3rd rounder that needs lots of time to marinate. The Packers really only got two contributors out of the group in Cobb and DJ Smith, and Smith only because of major injuries. Green is an unknown because of injury. Beyond that, nobody has really cracked the lineup except for a few snaps for Taylor.

Overall it's not a disappointment but at the moment, looks like a drop-off from TT's usual pattern of success. Time will tell with a deep roster though, as these guys may need extra time to break through with a wealth of talent above them.
This is the most talented team in the NFL! Plus we were picking at the end of each round. You can't judge the draft at this point based on number of starters. Its very unrealistic. Instead we should be impressed that these kids were able to make the team. And judging from the early returns, this could be one of TTs better drafts. I see lots of potential.

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
too soon imo
Definitely too soon. Plus none of the rookies got any summertime training camps... etc. I am sure that really hurt Sherrod, since in this system it seems the lineman always need a year or two before getting into the action.

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far Sherrod hasn't looked like a first round pick, but more of a 2nd or 3rd rounder that needs lots of time to marinate.
Although I think if he had training camp then he would have shown more progress. Next year will definitely be a better grade of his talents.

BSchujasNYG

Giants Fan
Reaction score
The only picks I liked from your draft last year were Cobb, Green, House and Williams. Sherrod was one of my least favorite players, I had a late second, early third grade on him. Green and Williams I both liked at a second round grade and House and Cobb I had as third rounders.

Kiper is a joke btw.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Way too early is absolutely right. If you don’t think so, there was a great article on jsonline last Saturday which underlines the point. McGinn’s article, “Rodgers made a career audible” relates how far Rodgers has come. There wasn’t any evidence Rodgers would become what he has after his rookie – or second - season and any grade of that draft would have likely been way off. At that point it would have been reasonable to assume he’d become a career backup to average or maybe above average starter. IMO his range of likely possibilities at the time didn’t include what he became. Likewise Sherrod could disappoint, be injury prone or become an average or above average LT. With his injury it may take until the 2013 season to see what the Packers have with that pick. If he does become an above average LT, even if it takes three seasons, the draft grade has to go up. IMO House and Williams both share a wide range of possibilities too. Ryan Taylor was an early camp surprise and made the team on special teams so that looks like a solid pick at the end of the draft. But it could look better and better in the next few years. One guy in his corner as far as getting more snaps at TE is the franchise QB, and it’d be difficult to find a better ally.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jabaal Sheard was an OLB taken 5 spots after Sherrod, and he's been fantastic this season, with close to 10 sacks as a rookie.
He was a guy I was very intrigued by and hoped we'd get in the 2nd round, but he went sooner than I thought at 37, or 38 maybe.

I think he had some attitude baggage though and perhaps TT would not have made him a member of this locker room.

We need an impact OLB this off-season, or we need So'oto to blossom into BEAST MODE this Sunday and take Eli Manning's head off.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts