Just wait for it...

H

HardRightEdge

shawnsta made a good point about the HC choosing who he wants on his staff which is typically true (except in Dallas) so why won't MM fire capers? Is it really his call? There have been better candidates to coach this teams defense yet they are so loyal to Capers. I look at teams like Dallas, Kansas City, buffalo, and even Minnesota who the Packers have better talent as far as personnel yet we rank 29th and these teams are in the top ten? Seriously?
Back from Europe.

The Packers do not have better defensive talent than the teams you listed except perhaps Minnesota. There are significant talent shortfalls at the D-Line and ILB positions. I'm sure Capers had a hand in getting/retaining some of these players. Getting rid of Capers would allow for some house cleaning and shoring up the middle of the D with a couple free agent pickups.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that defending the run is way more about talent than it is about scheme. I´m absolutely convinced that every gap is accounted for in Capers scheme but our players either can´t get off blocks or tackle the ball carrier.
I'm fine with the scheme. I'm sure it accounts for everything. When a TE goes in motion the scheme should adapt. Whent the rb goes out into the flat, the scheme accounts for it. Our scheme is geared towards creating confusion with a wide range of blitzes and coverages. The only people confused by our scheme are our own defensive players.

I wish we had more talent. But I see other teams doing much more with less talent. I put 80% of that on capers and his lack of coaching his team into a scheme savvy, disciplined defense.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think You have Rob confused with Rex. Rex knows when to reel it in..Rob on the other hand? Heck id even throw Wade Phillips in the mix...I've never seen a nicer coach than Wade Phillips...surely he could get along with MM.
I was thinking of Rex, and his time with the Ravens. Both Ryans love the microphone, and that wouldn't be tolerated in Green Bay. I've read that both of the Ryan bros are great guys off the field. And they both can coach 'em up on defense.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that defending the run is way more about talent than it is about scheme. I´m absolutely convinced that every gap is accounted for in Capers scheme but our players either can´t get off blocks or tackle the ball carrier.

All thee above bro. AJ hawk can't get off blocks, the rest just can't tackle. MM sounded pretty irritated about our inability to tackle and get the ball carrier on the ground. These are grown men who play at the highest level of football that we are talking about. Watch the tape ...you'll see guys there but they just whiff on the tackle...HaHa Dix does it about 3 times.

D

Deleted member 6794

Our scheme is geared towards creating confusion with a wide range of blitzes and coverages. The only people confused by our scheme are our own defensive players.

I wish we had more talent. But I see other teams doing much more with less talent. I put 80% of that on capers and his lack of coaching his team into a scheme savvy, disciplined defense.

Before Sunday's game at New Orleans the Packers were leading the league in opponent's passer rating. In my opinion defending the pass succesfully has a lot to do with having good pressure and covering schemes. In addition the team has a lot of talented players in the secondary.

Stopping the run should be pretty easy and defenses don't need a whole lot of confusing schemes to do it. Players have to contain their assigned gaps and tackle the damn ball carrier. If teams can't do that it's a talent issue.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Before Sunday's game at New Orleans the Packers were leading the league in opponent's passer rating. In my opinion defending the pass succesfully has a lot to do with having good pressure and covering schemes. In addition the team has a lot of talented players in the secondary.

Stopping the run should be pretty easy and defenses don't need a whole lot of confusing schemes to do it. Players have to contain their assigned gaps and tackle the damn ball carrier. If teams can't do that it's a talent issue.

The QB rating stat is/was garbage. Those stats come from a #32 ranked run D(no need for a pass heavy game plan)....... Smith-Ponder-Stafford-Newton-Tanahill who are all bottom 1/3 of the league rated QBs and throw in Cutler who we own. IMO just a meaningless stat unlike the Run D ranking.

D

Deleted member 6794

The QB rating stat is/was garbage. Those stats come from a #32 ranked run D(no need for a pass heavy game plan)....... Smith-Ponder-Stafford-Newton-Tanahill who are all bottom 1/3 of the league rated QBs and throw in Cutler who we own. IMO just a meaningless stat unlike the Run D ranking.

Well, last time the Packers won the Super Bowl they led the league in opponents QB rating (four of the last six Super Bowl champions were in the top 3 in the category) as well with a mediocre run defense. It´s true though that it won´t matter as long as our run defense can´t improve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care who the DC, run doesn't get stopped when the D line gets whipped at the line of scrimmage like what happened in the three games where we got run over.

searmh

Cheesehead
Reaction score

agreed but who ultimately puts the "talent" together?

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long is Rex going to survive in New York? WHEN he's fired he should be contacted by TT immediately and given whatever he wants to come fix this sorry defense here. Like him or not the guy understands defense.. Proof is in the pudding. Imagine what he could do with Pep and Matthews? The secondary? Surely there's much more talent in GB than on his roster yet he gets way more out of his guys than what Capers gets out of his. This isn't a fire Capers thread, but what it is is a guarantee that the Packers will never win another SB with this defense until personnel changes are made. Bring in Ryan and we can be contenders and not pretenders.
History shows you don't need the league's best run defense to win a Super Bowl. Five of the past eight Super Bowl champions, including the 2010 Packers, ranked no higher than 18th in the category.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
History shows you don't need the league's best run defense to win a Super Bowl. Five of the past eight Super Bowl champions, including the 2010 Packers, ranked no higher than 18th in the category.

Nope, but it does show you just need to be clicking on all cylinders come that time of the year. The 2011 Giants and 09 Saints ranked 27th and 25th in total defense yet they captured the Lombardi trophy. I honestly don't see our defense becoming dominant all of a sudden I just hope they get hot for a stretch of games in the playoffs... If we make it.

Members online

Latest posts