Just wait for it...

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long is Rex going to survive in New York? WHEN he's fired he should be contacted by TT immediately and given whatever he wants to come fix this sorry defense here. Like him or not the guy understands defense.. Proof is in the pudding. Imagine what he could do with Pep and Matthews? The secondary? Surely there's much more talent in GB than on his roster yet he gets way more out of his guys than what Capers gets out of his. This isn't a fire Capers thread, but what it is is a guarantee that the Packers will never win another SB with this defense until personnel changes are made. Bring in Ryan and we can be contenders and not pretenders.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't mind it. I'm not convinced how much of our D's problem is Capers--I'm leaning towards a lack of playmakers, but maybe Ryan is the kind of coach who could get more out of lesser players? Not unlike Jim Bates in 2005?

In general, I think Capers is a completely adequate Xs and Os coach.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how McCarthy and Rex would work together. At least in terms of on-camera and on-field persona, they are polar opposites. Something needs to change though, and DC is the easiest big-impact change a team can make..

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I wouldn't mind it. I'm not convinced how much of our D's problem is Capers--I'm leaning towards a lack of playmakers, but maybe Ryan is the kind of coach who could get more out of lesser players? Not unlike Jim Bates in 2005?

In general, I think Capers is a completely adequate Xs and Os coach.
I don't know what to think,on one hand in the last several years we have seen TT spend a lot of draft picks on the defense,then again Capers has had plenty of time to find a way to fit these players in but still no real improvement,could be bad drafting or an inept DC,either way it has become painfully obvious whatever they are doing is not working

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not giving up on this D just yet but IF our season comes to a crashing halt because of them I think there is more than enough evidence to show that it indeed is time for a change. I am afraid that we just won't be able to remedy this atrocious run defense to the point that it doesn't cost us dearly come PO time. I know the loss of Raji hurt us a lot but for goodness sake we are making guys like Mark friggin Ingram look like the second coming of Sweetness himself. I was so pissed watching this last game as every time I turned around the Saints were gouging us for massive runs and it never stopped. Come PO time you have to be able to get off the field and if your opposition is ripping off runs of 5, 7, 9 yards etc. there is zero chance of you doing that often enough to stay in the game. Rodgers and Co.'s room for error will almost be nil and man do I hate that proposition especially if there is bad weather in the mix. The Rex debate is an interesting one. He is possibly the most polarizing figure in the league but damn that guy can coach some D and that's what we need in the worst way. Yes, he is a blow hard and sure does love him some him but if we could get a coach that could keep that side of the ball in the top 10 range I can't help but feel great about the prospects of our boys winning a few more Lombardi's! Here's to hoping and praying that this unit can pull it together and this topic can just die. Please die topic. Please.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long is Rex going to survive in New York? WHEN he's fired he should be contacted by TT immediately and given whatever he wants to come fix this sorry defense here. Like him or not the guy understands defense.. Proof is in the pudding. Imagine what he could do with Pep and Matthews? The secondary? Surely there's much more talent in GB than on his roster yet he gets way more out of his guys than what Capers gets out of his. This isn't a fire Capers thread, but what it is is a guarantee that the Packers will never win another SB with this defense until personnel changes are made. Bring in Ryan and we can be contenders and not pretenders.
Does anyone know how many draft picks TT has spent on the defense the last 5 years as compared to the offense?

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not giving up on this D just yet but IF our season comes to a crashing halt because of them I think there is more than enough evidence to show that it indeed is time for a change. I am afraid that we just won't be able to remedy this atrocious run defense to the point that it doesn't cost us dearly come PO time. I know the loss of Raji hurt us a lot but for goodness sake we are making guys like Mark friggin Ingram look like the second coming of Sweetness himself. I was so pissed watching this last game as every time I turned around the Saints were gouging us for massive runs and it never stopped. Come PO time you have to be able to get off the field and if your opposition is ripping off runs of 5, 7, 9 yards etc. there is zero chance of you doing that often enough to stay in the game. Rodgers and Co.'s room for error will almost be nil and man do I hate that proposition especially if there is bad weather in the mix. The Rex debate is an interesting one. He is possibly the most polarizing figure in the league but damn that guy can coach some D and that's what we need in the worst way. Yes, he is a blow hard and sure does love him some him but if we could get a coach that could keep that side of the ball in the top 10 range I can't help but feel great about the prospects of our boys winning a few more Lombardi's! Here's to hoping and praying that this unit can pull it together and this topic can just die. Please die topic. Please.
I agree,die topic die,but it keeps coming up year after year,it seems unlikely TT could whiff on that many picks on defense yet not that many on offense.Something doesn't add up and it points to Capers

Last edited:

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the D continues (for the 4th year running) to do what is has done, beat up on the sisters of the poor and average teams and lose, badly, to the big, bad, bullies, something drastic would have to be done on that side of the ball, right?

I mean, TT devoted the first 6 picks of the 2012 draft, has used his last 3 first round picks on the D, and went against his nature and signed Peppers (and Guion) this past offseason. He is about out of options for adding talent to the D.

Thus, I think a brash and knowledgeable new defensive coordinator in the Rex Ryan mold might be a logical next step.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well when Capers says "he has his players" this year with the addition of Peppers especially he better poop or get off the pot. Enough excuses about injuries and such this D gets progressively worse as the year goes on if last year is an omen. We were pretty good rank wise against the run and then it seemed after Aaron got hurt they went downhill. I don't know if behind closed doors MM hitched his wagon to Capers and told TT and the higher ups that THIS will be the year they turn it around and maybe that is why they are dragging out MM's new contract. But all I can say is they have a lot of patience.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well when Capers says "he has his players" this year with the addition of Peppers especially he better poop or get off the pot. Enough excuses about injuries and such this D gets progressively worse as the year goes on if last year is an omen. We were pretty good rank wise against the run and then it seemed after Aaron got hurt they went downhill. I don't know if behind closed doors MM hitched his wagon to Capers and told TT and the higher ups that THIS will be the year they turn it around and maybe that is why they are dragging out MM's new contract. But all I can say is they have a lot of patience.
Since 2008 TT has picked 33 offensive players 18 are still with the team,28 players picked on defense 16 are still with the team pretty good ratio yet the defense under Capers has not ranked nearly as high as the offense year in and year out,time for a change if things don't change for his Defense.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we beat the Jets, who won?
Capers or Ryan?
And who has a better record? Pack or Jets?
I would agree with you if the Jets were any better.
Maybe we should try and recruit his bro that just beat us instead. Is that the one you meant?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well yes, I think it's plainly obvious that Packer mgmt does have a lot of patience. Haphazard and desperation is not how Packers mgmt operates. When your drafting in the back third of every round, every year you are not going to get high impact players very often. Perhaps we don't have enough good teaching assistant coaches on the defensive side. One thing I'd like to see is Thompson recruit and throw some money at a scout who has proven to have a pretty good knack at identifying guys that will be good defensive linemen at this level.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have to figure out if it´s defensive personnel or coaching and scheme. While I´m not a huge fan of Capers I think the lack of talent on the front 7 is mostly responsible for the atrocious run defense.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan would be a great improvement. But he'd have to wear a muzzle in Green Bay in order to get along with MM.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
shawnsta made a good point about the HC choosing who he wants on his staff which is typically true (except in Dallas) so why won't MM fire capers? Is it really his call? There have been better candidates to coach this teams defense yet they are so loyal to Capers. I look at teams like Dallas, Kansas City, buffalo, and even Minnesota who the Packers have better talent as far as personnel yet we rank 29th and these teams are in the top ten? Seriously?

D

Deleted member 6794

shawnsta made a good point about the HC choosing who he wants on his staff which is typically true (except in Dallas) so why won't MM fire capers? Is it really his call? There have been better candidates to coach this teams defense yet they are so loyal to Capers. I look at teams like Dallas, Kansas City, buffalo, and even Minnesota who the Packers have better talent as far as personnel yet we rank 29th and these teams are in the top ten? Seriously?

I don´t believe the Packers have more talent on the front 7 than those teams.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan would be a great improvement. But he'd have to wear a muzzle in Green Bay in order to get along with MM.

I think You have Rob confused with Rex. Rex knows when to reel it in..Rob on the other hand? Heck id even throw Wade Phillips in the mix...I've never seen a nicer coach than Wade Phillips...surely he could get along with MM.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, I see no way at all that they fire Capers before the end of the season, so getting Ryan now is out of the question. Second, if the Packer defense flops, and I mean really flops over the course of the 2nd half of the season and we fail to make the playoffs because of it, then I can see MM and TT firing Capers, and that is the only scenario where I see Capers gone. I would be very surprised to see Ryan get hired by GB. First, he might get a head-coaching job somewhere. Second, he is the polar opposite of the kind of coaches the Packers have.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that it's pretty obvious the Packers won't fire Capers, or anyone else, mid-season. Based on past transactions, I'd say that it's a low probability that a DC coaching change will occur, even if it's the right time to do it. If it does, I also don't see Rex Ryan's personality meshing with MM and TT. I love both Ryan brothers and their dad for what they've done defensively in the NFL. They are really great minds. However, it's only half of the equation and you've got to have folks that can get along. Maybe they would be I just don't see it.

If you are going to fire Capers you'd better make sure that it's an upgrade. Changing for the sake of change isn't much of a strategy.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well yes, I think it's plainly obvious that Packer mgmt does have a lot of patience. Haphazard and desperation is not how Packers mgmt operates. When your drafting in the back third of every round, every year you are not going to get high impact players very often. Perhaps we don't have enough good teaching assistant coaches on the defensive side. One thing I'd like to see is Thompson recruit and throw some money at a scout who has proven to have a pretty good knack at identifying guys that will be good defensive linemen at this level.
That is called Parity, the NFL wants that but look at New England,they remain a top team despite drafting late,that is good scouting and good coaching,GB had good scouting personnel E.G. Dorsey but when you have good people everyone wants to lure them away,it's tough to remain competitive in NFL.

rondon57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have to figure out if it´s defensive personnel or coaching and scheme. While I´m not a huge fan of Capers I think the lack of talent on the front 7 is mostly responsible for the atrocious run defense.
I do agree with lack of talent on the front 7 A.J.Hawk though steady has not performed up to the level of the 5th overall pick in that draft,Clay Mathews has had a very average first 8 games and his stats show it,though demoted Brad Jones shouldn't be on the roster(Lattimore has always been an upgrade)whats left at the other ILB spot?Sam Barrington(late rounder)Peppers has played 8 games as a OLB and is better than Nick Perry or Mike Neal(another of Capers DE's converted to OLB)the D-line? Daytone Jones but when is he healthy?Mike Daniels mouth is more consistent than the rest of him,Guion shows flashes at best,Josh Boyd,who is he?Notice all the question marks? it's no wonder they look bad,they ARE.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do agree with lack of talent on the front 7 A.J.Hawk though steady has not performed up to the level of the 5th overall pick in that draft,Clay Mathews has had a very average first 8 games and his stats show it,though demoted Brad Jones shouldn't be on the roster(Lattimore has always been an upgrade)whats left at the other ILB spot?Sam Barrington(late rounder)Peppers has played 8 games as a OLB and is better than Nick Perry or Mike Neal(another of Capers DE's converted to OLB)the D-line? Daytone Jones but when is he healthy?Mike Daniels mouth is more consistent than the rest of him,Guion shows flashes at best,Josh Boyd,who is he?Notice all the question marks? it's no wonder they look bad,they ARE.
I see a lot of athletic football players who most show potential. I also see poor tackling and players out of position. I see TEs not getting covered I see defenders vacating their lanes. These are all coaching issues. If it was 1 or 2 players it may be their talent. But I see too many mistakes by too many players to not blame the coaching.

Reaction score
I'm not taking this stance to appease anyone, but myself. IMO the answer is a cocktail of coaching AND personnel changes.
1st when a runner,QB whatever can run right up the gut like last Sunday with "goal to go" and there's 3 men covering the line. That's a problem unless you sending 2-3 LBs up the lanes to meet someone at LOS with momentum. That play results in 5-6 yards to the 2. Then we put 6 down lineman the next play with 9 in the box and leave a WR in the corner of enzone with no D within 6-7 yards. That's not lack of talent. That's a poor D play call. Twice consecutively for lost points. There's Countless examples of this going back years. Were a day late and a dollar short in keeping with the times.. If Capers worked for a Fortune 500 company..I'm sorry for offending some you but he'd be gone 3 years ago.
Duplicate that trade up for Clay we did a few years back. Draft a dominant inside LB, then 2015- 2016 the same with a DT.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I see a lot of athletic football players who most show potential. I also see poor tackling and players out of position. I see TEs not getting covered I see defenders vacating their lanes. These are all coaching issues. If it was 1 or 2 players it may be their talent. But I see too many mistakes by too many players to not blame the coaching.

I think that defending the run is way more about talent than it is about scheme. I´m absolutely convinced that every gap is accounted for in Capers scheme but our players either can´t get off blocks or tackle the ball carrier.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts