John Ryan

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well probably the last thing most of you care about is the punter but I kinda got a keen interest in Ryan as he played here in Winnipeg last year setting the CFL record for punt average. He's got a huge leg and if he learns to get his hangtime I think he can make it in this league. Would be good to see the skinny white kid from Saskatchewan make it in the big time. I still wonder if the Pack will bring in a veteran to challenge him. After the family night game he did an interview here and admitted it was crazy to play a scrimmage for 60 000 people. He also couldn't believe he was in the same room as Brett Favre. Here's to a good punter and humble guy making it with the greatest franchise

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isnt it Jon Ryan?

Im not trying to be a jerk(you'd know) I was literally staring at the title going "now who the hell is John Ryan?"

I like Ryan. Goes to show you dont need to trade up to get a decent punter(decent at best right now) in the 3rd round of a draft.

I hope it works out for him, I dont see why it shouldnt. His release time should improve(id hope) at least a little.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
Zero2Cool said:
The Packers tried out a punter a few days ago. Well, they gave him a looksie.

I didn't catch that. Who was it?

The Green Bay Packers still intend to give Jon Ryan every chance to win the punting job, but they aren't done looking at possible candidates.

Former University of Colorado punter John Torp worked out on Ray Nitschke Field shortly after practice ended Friday and appeared to have mixed results. His kicks ranged from 33 to 56 yards with varying hang times.

"It went all right," Torp said of his workout, which was overseen by special teams coach Mike Stock and General Manager Ted Thompson.

"It was kind of new working with a new snapper (Thomas Gafford) and in a new environment."

Torp, a left-footed punter, was cut by the Minnesota Vikings on Aug. 17. He punted in one preseason game, on Aug. 14 against the Oakland Raiders at the Metrodome. Torp punted twice for a 36.0-yard gross and net average. Both punts were downed inside the 20. He had a 44-yarder that was fair caught at the Raiders' 16-yard line and a 28-yarder that was downed at the Raiders' 8.

Kicking in the high altitude at Colorado, the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Torp averaged 45.2 yards as a senior, 46.5 yards as a junior and 42.5 yards as a sophomore.

Thompson said he's lost count of how many punters he's worked out since training camp started, but guessed it was fewer than 10.

Ryan has been the only punter on the Packers' roster since they cut B.J. Sander on Monday.

OP
OP
C

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One advantage Ryan has is you know he'll be able to handle the weather in winter. It would be nice to have a backup plan though in case it doesn't work out

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:

Np... wasn't any big name, but I'm sure it sent a msg to Ryan that jus becausse he's the only P on the roster doesn't mean the job is his. Although I'm sure he knew that already.

Members online