John Clayton on Patriots-Packers

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For what it's worth, here is John Clayton's take on Patriots-Packers from espn.com. It's not a prediction, but he certainly seems to think the Packers have a chance:

4. New England Patriots at Green Bay Packers

It's definitely too early to say "The Pack is back" but it can be said they are heading in that direction. Mike McCarthy has done a nice of job getting Brett Favre to cut down on interceptions. As a result, the Packers are 4-5, and Favre sounds like a quarterback happy enough with the progress that he might return next year. McCarthy definitely wants him back. With right tackle Mark Tauscher out, the Packers will go into the game with three rookie offensive linemen. The Patriots aren't the most confident team coming into this one. They've lost back-to-back games to the Colts and Jets. For whatever reason, Belichick has abandoned the running game in second halves of those games. The team that seemed to be heading to a potential top seed in the AFC suddenly looks very average.

[there's also a picture of Favre with his season stats:]

Brett Favre
Quarterback
Green Bay Packers

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
Att Comp Yds TD Int Rat
352 203 2228 13 7 81.3

[By the way, did you know that Tom Brady's QB rating this season is only 2.4 points higher than Favre's?]

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont see whay we dont have a chance, we didnt even play them yet.

from foxsports.com

"New England has lost two in a row for the first time since December 2002. The last time the Patriots lost three straight games was a four-game streak earlier that season, in which their third loss was to the Packers".

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont see whay we dont have a chance, we didnt even play them yet.

from foxsports.com

"New England has lost two in a row for the first time since December 2002. The last time the Patriots lost three straight games was a four-game streak earlier that season, in which their third loss was to the Packers".

That's spooky. Btw, Brady has less yards and more ints than Favre this year.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
It makes me more nervous knowing they have lost two in a row

Same feeling here.

I think if we can get on of the next three games we can finish out 9 - 7.

Pats - L
Seahawks - L (if alexander and hasslbeck out... this is a W)
Jets - W
49ers - W
Lions - W
Vikings - W
Bears - W

OMG beat the bears? how so? I think they will have no reason to play that game an will be resting players early...

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
agopackgo4 said:

Same feeling here.

I think if we can get on of the next three games we can finish out 9 - 7.

Pats - L
Seahawks - L (if alexander and hasslbeck out... this is a W)
Jets - W
49ers - W
Lions - W
Vikings - W
Bears - W

OMG beat the bears? how so? I think they will have no reason to play that game an will be resting players early...

I think that looks VERY do-able...

But like it has been popping up all over the place..the Bears wont have a reason to play that game..

Let me ask you this..

When Lovie 1st got the job what was his most important task? BEAT THE PACKERS..and the game is in Chicago..does he want the fans to witness them getting beat, or let the fans enjoy beating the Packers..

What about injuries, and the thought of someone being hurt, does that or will it weigh allot on Lovies mind?

so is he going to rest his players entire game, half, 3/4 of it??

Or just enuf to get a lead that they can hold onto..( if they are lucky)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I think that looks VERY do-able...

But like it has been popping up all over the place..the Bears wont have a reason to play that game..

Let me ask you this..

When Lovie 1st got the job what was his most important task? BEAT THE PACKERS..and the game is in Chicago..does he want the fans to witness them getting beat, or let the fans enjoy beating the Packers..

What about injuries, and the thought of someone being hurt, does that or will it weigh allot on Lovies mind?

so is he going to rest his players entire game, half, 3/4 of it??

Or just enuf to get a lead that they can hold onto..( if they are lucky)

Lovie said beating the Packers was the first thing he wanted to do. I don't recall him saying it was most important. If he did say it was most important I could understand that. Remember, he's a new HC coming into a new town. He has to say certain things to get the fan support as that is a factor in home games.

The Bears goal is not to go 2 - 14 with only beating the Packers. The Bears main goal, the most important thing for them is to get to and win the Super Bowl. With that being said there is no way he will jepordize his teams chance jus so he can say his team beat the Packers twice in 2006.

Believe me, if he did and lost Urlacher to an ACL you can bet Fans of the Bears would be pissed.

I think the starters will play the first half to keep them in the 'groove' of an NFL game since they will most likely have a bye week in the playoffs.

edit, I'm a Packers fan. I dislike the Bears, hate the Vikings. I'd rather lose to either of those two teams knowing they are not going into the playoffs rather than risk losing say Brett, Kampman, Jennings, Driver or any one player for the simple fact of beating either of those teams.

I mean seriously, if we beat the Bears with half their starters and dont make the playoffs an they have home field throughout an a bye week what ground do we have to stand on to ridicule them especially after they shut us out on our own turf to start the season?

I think the rivalarly plays zero importance when it comes to playoffs.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You know I was in the same mode with this. It would have been great for the Pat's to come in having beat Indy and the Jets with the Bears up next.
A perfect setup for a letdown.

But you know what? The hell with it.

I think it has taken the fan base a while to get their arms around it but MM is doing a good job with this team and I think they really believe in themselves. That includes Brett.

I think they feel they are better than their record shows and are pissed they gave games away to the Saints, Rams, and, Bills.

This team is as ready as they can be to go head to head with NE who will be coming with the best they have.

While the Pat's certainly don't want to go down three weeks in a row this is a defining moment for the Packers and at the end of the day want this game more to show who they are.

A quality win here sets the stage for the remainder of the season.

At the beginning of the season almost everybody said we were bad.
Then we moved up to mediocre. A team making progress.
Sunday we prove to the NFL world we are a good football team.

Mark it down. Green Bay wins on Sunday.

Members online

Latest posts