JJ Watt Cardinals 2 yrs 31 mill

Mexican Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think it happens, I just think that’s the only way it happens. I’m sure there is mutual interest. But what he wants/deserves is likely going to be pretty far away from what the packers will/can offer.

Watt is one of the most popular players, he will make good amount of money in sponsors
And realistically Packers can offer him a similar deal they gave to Julius Peppers 25M for 3 years with 12M guarantee
His cap for 2021 would be 5M

Honestly I believe Watt want to be a Packer or Steeler
So it's gonna be a toss up

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers can structure new contracts or restructure old ones in order to push cap liability into the future.

Going to have an answer on what the future will be like probably in 30 or so days. If they rework Rodgers that removes the ability to move on from him in 2022 essentially and Rodgers will be around for a bit. They do nothing, then they probably have their eyes set on moving on from him. Rework Rodgers I think Watt can potentially be signed. Don't rework Rodgers, they are just looking to get under the cap by releasing a few games and reworking a few contracts.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Going to have an answer on what the future will be like probably in 30 or so days. If they rework Rodgers that removes the ability to move on from him in 2022 essentially and Rodgers will be around for a bit. They do nothing, then they probably have their eyes set on moving on from him. Rework Rodgers I think Watt can potentially be signed. Don't rework Rodgers, they are just looking to get under the cap by releasing a few games and reworking a few contracts.

I don't think they drafted Love expecting Rodgers to do what he did in 2020.

His three year average rating heading into the offseason was 96.7, which in this era is like the 12th to 15th best QB in the league.

You have to go back to 2014 to find a season in which he was even within 10 points of his 2020 performance.

So I suspect that they made the pick thinking of a transition in 2022. But given that Rodgers bought into the offense and then lit the league on fire, I think you consider the pick spilt milk and go all in to win with Rodgers in the here and now, even if that means committing more cap space to him into the future.

Mexican Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packers are so unlucky that both years that the cap took a hit are also the same years that Rodgers have the biggest cap hit

Packers simple cannot afford a championship team while your QB makes 20% of the cap
Packers owes Rodgers 105.6M for the next 3 years around 35.2M average

The only moves that make sense with Rodgers now is offer him 2 more years to his current contract with 50 mill FULLY guarantee, that way you are committed to your QB and Rodgers with the cap decrease takes a needly pay cut

If he refuses the other move is reestructure his bonus same way as they did to Bakhtiari, Packers can do this without his approval to create space this year and move on from him next year

Mexican Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That gains $4m and change for this next season. Adds $2m+ to next season's $39m.

With a restructure the Packers clear 13M this year but his cap next year increase 6.5M close to 45M

That's why Packers have 3 options, offer him an extension with FULL guarantee money to lower his cap next years

The restructure that means Packers go all in this year but clearly after that they gonna cut or trade Rodgers

Or simple don't do anything with Rodgers contract but that means the team gonna have some holes

Attachments

• IMG_20210215_012425.jpg
    IMG_20210215_012425.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 76

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers are so unlucky that both years that the cap took a hit are also the same years that Rodgers have the biggest cap hit

Packers simple cannot afford a championship team while your QB makes 20% of the cap
Packers owes Rodgers 105.6M for the next 3 years around 35.2M average

The only moves that make sense with Rodgers now is offer him 2 more years to his current contract with 50 mill FULLY guarantee, that way you are committed to your QB and Rodgers with the cap decrease takes a needly pay cut

If he refuses the other move is reestructure his bonus same way as they did to Bakhtiari, Packers can do this without his approval to create space this year and move on from him next year

Can teams really restructure a player's contract without their approval? That sounds kinda sketchy. They can cancel the contract, sure, but just unilaterally changing the agreed upon terms?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Can teams really restructure a player's contract without their approval? That sounds kinda sketchy. They can cancel the contract, sure, but just unilaterally changing the agreed upon terms?

There is boilerplate language in virtually all NFL contracts that base salary can be converted to bonus money at any time. Or so I've read.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
would players really care? what does it change besides more guaranteed money right here and now?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
would players really care? what does it change besides more guaranteed money right here and now?

Only thing I can think of is if the player has set up some plan involving taxes and charitable donations...getting $5m more right now might throw off how you could set up annual contributions for a trust for family members? These aren't deal breaking issues, I'm just surprised the contracts can be altered unilaterally.

Mexican Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just split his roster bonus over the remaining 3 years. Some cap guru is going to have to explain where the other $8m came from.

A restructure means the team reduce the cap this year as they convert part of his salary to bonus and prorated over the next years

On Rodgers case he have 15M base salary in 2021 therefore Packers can convert that base salary up to 13.5M to bonus just leaving the veteran minimum and prorated those 13.5M in two years

Attachments

• IMG_20210215_152625.jpg
    IMG_20210215_152625.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 73

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Do we know what the cap is yet?

Yes, its an artificial number created each year by the NFL to make fans think that teams are being responsible by "only being able to spend this 9 digit figure on players salaries", what a hardship on the NFL teams. :coffee:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just read something by someone named Paul Bretl, that "according to a source close to the situation"the Packers are the most likely to sign Watt.
For what it's worth.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just read something by someone named Paul Bretl, that "according to a source close to the situation"the Packers are the most likely to sign Watt.
For what it's worth.

While I don't doubt he has researched it, do a Google search with the following "JJ Watt and ________________" Fill in any random team. A big name like that can get all other 31 fan bases and the media talking.

How Minnesota Vikings can sign J.J. Watt - YouTube

J.J. Watt Released by Texans: Are the Bears an Option? - On Tap Sports Net

Odds J.J. Watt Lands with Detroit Lions Texans - Sports Illustrated Detroit Lions News, Analysis and More

J.J. Watt released by Texans: Why the Rams make the most sense for him - Turf Show Times

J.J. Watt landing spots: Steelers, Cowboys, Packers among nine teams that could be his next NFL home

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't we say the same thing with Peppers? Guys he may not be prime Watt but he can still do some damage. Let's not pretend he couldn't contribute. The only issue would be money.
I’ll take him any body that’s gonna make them better and peppers was there best player on defense for 3 years he was what 34 when they signed him. I’m only concerned about health with watt. I do believe it will come down to financials and Green Bay will low ball him. I bet he ends up in Pittsburgh tho

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll take him any body that’s gonna make them better and peppers was there best player on defense for 3 years he was what 34 when they signed him. I’m only concerned about health with watt. I do believe it will come down to financials and Green Bay will low ball him. I bet he ends up in Pittsburgh tho
Pittsburgh can hardly afford him. If I understand they're in worse cap position than us. If anyone will low ball him it'll be them.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers could afford JJ Watt and maybe even save a few bucks if they cut Preston Smith and Dean Lowry. I would take a defensive line with JJ Watt over Preston, even though he's younger. JJ Watt will give you more against the run than Preston Smith. Reggie was about the same age as JJ Watt when he came to Green Bay although Reggie was still at his prime, and JJ has dropped off but I would still love to see him in Green and gold if the price is right. A front line of Z, Keke, Clark, Watt and Gary would be the best the Packers have had since they had Reggie with Santana Dotson, Shawn Jones and Gilbert Brown.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, its an artificial number created each year by the NFL to make fans think that teams are being responsible by "only being able to spend this 9 digit figure on players salaries", what a hardship on the NFL teams. :coffee:

Breaking news!

Man who continuously complains about the amount athletes makes continues to consume any and all information on the sport! It’s a real shocker!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Breaking news!

Man who continuously complains about the amount athletes makes continues to consume any and all information on the sport! It’s a real shocker!

"Mee muh murmer!"

"Uhhh... what?!"

"Sorry, had to finish chewing that hunk of steak. I said meat is murder!"

Members online

Latest posts