Jimmy Graham's blocking

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is much-maligned for his blocking. I'm not going to disagree with the entire premise, but I challenge some of you to go back a re-watch the beginning of the game against Minnesota. I saw Graham execute some pretty effective blocks in the running game. Where he completely fails and is a giant liability is pass-blocking. That one towards the end of the game leading to Rodgers getting crushed, is on Rodgers and LaFluer. They have to make adjustments.

That said, I've seen talk out here about how useless Jimmy is blocking. I just don't think that's completely true and should be re-evaluated. The guy can block and needs to keep getting used effectively by the coaching staff.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah. they have to use him in all scenarios or they lose the O's "unpredictability" they so desire. it's a tightrope walk for sure. he may be good 4 out of 5 plays and then you see rodgers on his back.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As a guy that was excited about the Packers signing Graham in 2018, I feel a bit better about my past excitement reading your post. :) But I will still admit, if I could wind the clock back, I wish they hadn't signed him, especially for that kind of money.

I do think fans, myself included at times, like to glom on to the negatives of a player like Graham and say "see I told you so" and ignore all the other reasons things are happening the way they happen. You are the second person, that I have seen, that has pointed out the idea that Graham is not known for being a decent pass blocker, yet the Packers keep using him as one and it needs to stop. Let's hope MLF is watching the tape closely, decides the same thing and puts JG in a position where his attributes are best used.

All that said, I was at the game on Sunday and focused on Graham during a few plays, his energy level seemed down or is he just that slow? I even saw him walk by Rodgers on the sideline and even though the 2 were facing each other, not a word was exchanged that I could see. Has Graham checked out? I hope not, because we are going to need him.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depending on when you saw the exchange between them, their attitudes could have been influenced by the Vikings' defense. I bet most of the offensive players were frustrated in the second half of the game. We all were! A good defense will do that to you.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Depending on when you saw the exchange between them, their attitudes could have been influenced by the Vikings' defense. I bet most of the offensive players were frustrated in the second half of the game. We all were! A good defense will do that to you.

Good point and thanks for making it. See, I did exactly what I said people need to stop doing, "gloming on to a negative to try and stretch a point" LOL

Next thing you know, Greg Jennings, Skip ****less and CowTurd are going to get a hold of that sideline video and run a big piece on "Rodgers has frozen out Jimmy Graham".

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Graham showed glimpses of what he used to have in the first half of 2018. He is what he is - an aging TE who was special because he was faster than other TEs. He is no longer that, and coupled with not being a great blocker he is starting to be a liability at times. That said, there is still a place for him and I think that is the red zone and short yardage throws.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
there is still a place for him and I think that is the red zone and short yardage throws

Couldn't agree more. Take what he can give you, you aren't cutting him and he has his weaknesses. On plays designed for a pass, stop putting Graham so close to the LOS, get him out wider and let him try to get open for the 5-15 yard gains.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop with the criticism on Graham for his blocking. Thats a bunch of BS.

Until we actually see Graham block somebody, lets not go judging how good he is at it.

He may be really good at it for all we know.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Stop with the criticism on Graham for his blocking. Thats a bunch of BS.

Until we actually see Graham block somebody, lets not go judging how good he is at it.

He may be really good at it for all we know.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Leave it to you!

So kind of like Woody Harrelson, you are saying that maybe "Jimmy Graham can block"?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Graham showed glimpses of what he used to have in the first half of 2018. He is what he is - an aging TE who was special because he was faster than other TEs. He is no longer that, and coupled with not being a great blocker he is starting to be a liability at times. That said, there is still a place for him and I think that is the red zone and short yardage throws.
Thanks for the check on that, El Guapo. I caught myself being a bit too negative earlier, and I'm willing to see what they do moving forward. Really, we should know a whole lot more in about a month.

Reaction score
Graham did ok as late as last season. We’d obviously like to see him improve over 2TDs. But he was effective recently.
He’s still our #1 TE. But he’s been dealing with some minor injuries. I think him sitting and healing up will do him wonders. I’d consider giving him 1-2 weeks and letting him heal up properly. He can still run through the practice drills and get back for the Dallas game Oct 6th. We don’t need him to get a win this Sunday.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Graham did ok as late as last season. We’d obviously like to see him improve over 2TDs. But he was effective recently.
He’s still our #1 TE. But he’s been dealing with some minor injuries. I think him sitting and healing up will do him wonders. I’d consider giving him 1-2 weeks and letting him heal up properly. He can still run through the practice drills and get back for the Dallas game Oct 6th. We don’t need him to get a win this Sunday.
I was with you right up to the last sentence. Forget about Jimmy Graham... because.. at this point I don’t think he matters either way. That would logically imply that you are correct that we don’t need him to get a win. However... the statement also gives the impression that Denver is going to be an easy victory. That is something I do not believe.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did ok recently?

Graham hasnt been a good player for years now

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Graham's best attributes were size & speed. He's still big but easily coverable now. I'm very (VERY) excited to see Tonyan regularly lined-up and running seam routes. Hoping for a big game out of him, relegating Graham to redzone only duty (once healthy) where his size still matters.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’m ready to see Jase.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I wouldn't hold your breath. Earliest he can come off IR would be the Chiefs game and with Raven Greene probably getting one of the two IR returns, it will come down to who gets hurt between now and then. They may also want to use that last designation on Lane Taylor, if the OL starts getting dinged up and he is healthy again.

I wouldn't expect much from him, even if Jace did come back.

Reaction score
Did ok recently?

Graham hasnt been a good player for years now
In 2012 with NO Saints, Graham produced 982 yards and 10 TDs. His average reception was 11.6 per reception.
In 2018 Graham put up 636 yards. His average reception? 11.6 per reception. Yes, from a reception mark he’s “ok”. From a recent history view, he’s not great, he’s also not nearly as bad as you make him either. It’s typical of some impatient fans to write him off after 2 games in a new system (with a minor injury to boot) I think that’s way too premature and far to impatient this early in. I choose to judge players by their season, 1-2 games is a poor sample size.
I was with you right up to the last sentence. Forget about Jimmy Graham... because.. at this point I don’t think he matters either way. That would logically imply that you are correct that we don’t need him to get a win. However... the statement also gives the impression that Denver is going to be an easy victory. That is something I do not believe.
First, you completely rewrote what I said, which is odd because you could’ve just “quoted” me, which would’ve been more appropriate if you’re making an argument about something you claim someone stated. Kinda odd way to present an argument and lends suspicion as to why you chose to change my statement? I have a hard enough time defending stupid stuff I say without defending stupid stuff i didn’t say! Anyway I’ll give you benefit of the doubt there ;)

Regardless. I don’t think us missing one underperforming player (Graham) implies Denver is going to be an “easy” victory. That’s quite a leap from me saying we can still win if Graham is not playing this week (if anything that could be implied as Denver is that good) It’s also not consistent with my larger thought process of how to go about winning games, so it wouldn’t ever be intentionally implied by me as it’s contrary to my macro philosophy. Id never underestimate my opponent, that’s a foolish way to prepare for any contest.

Now if I said we could win without Rodgers? Or if I said put Tim Boyle in there? That would more constitute the implication we can win “easy”.
Us Winning without Graham this week at home? With this Defense? You don’t need to discount the Denver Broncos or be a Prophet in a foreign land to make that connection.

Last edited:

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2012 with NO Saints, Graham produced 982 yards and 10 TDs. His average reception was 11.6 per reception.
In 2018 Graham put up 636 yards. His average reception? 11.6 per reception. Yes, from a reception mark he’s “ok”. From a recent history view, he’s not great, he’s also not nearly as bad as you make him either. It’s typical of some impatient fans to write him off after 2 games in a new system (with a minor injury to boot) I think that’s way too premature and far to impatient this early in. I choose to judge players by their season, 1-2 games is a poor sample size.

First, you completely rewrote what I said, which is odd because you could’ve just “quoted” me, which would’ve been more appropriate if you’re making an argument about something you claim someone stated. Kinda odd way to present an argument and lends suspicion as to why you chose to change my statement? I have a hard enough time defending stupid stuff I say without defending stupid stuff i didn’t say! Anyway I’ll give you benefit of the doubt there ;)

Regardless. I don’t think us missing one underperforming player (Graham) implies Denver is going to be an “easy” victory. That’s quite a leap from me saying we can still win if Graham is not playing this week (if anything that could be implied as Denver is that good) It’s also not consistent with my larger thought process of how to go about winning games, so it wouldn’t ever be intentionally implied by me as it’s contrary to my macro philosophy. Id never underestimate my opponent, that’s a foolish way to prepare for any contest.

Now if I said we could win without Rodgers? Or if I said put Tim Boyle in there? That would more constitute the implication we can win “easy”.
Us Winning without Graham this week at home? With this Defense? You don’t need to discount the Denver Broncos or be a Prophet in a foreign land to make that connection.

When its 638 yards for the #2 WR is not "ok"

Not good in line, worse blocker out of any skill position player and only effective split out standing up. Hes a WR. Not a TE. (never was)

638 yards is not an OK season. It's a bad one. It's only ok if you use the context of him being a TE (and even that's a reach because of how bad he is when asked to do anything TE related). Hes not a TE

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems that at this point in his career, Graham is much better used as a red zone target than a seam-splitting TE. Like all of us, he’s lost a step as he’s aged.

For the money he’s getting, I expect at least 8 TDs in a season. My concern is that the O this year overall doesn’t seem capable of putting together regular drives to get into the red zone in the first place. So a lack of production doesn’t necessarily fall on his shoulders alone.

Members online

Latest posts