1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Jim Leonhard worth a look?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by FrankRizzo, Jul 16, 2012.

1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    How confident are you guys that Charlie Peprah will suddenly improve, or that the youngster from Maine, or perhaps MD Jennings will be good enough for us back there at the starting safety position?
    I'm not a Badger fan, but this guy was good enough to help anchor the Jets defense that went to back-to-back AFC title games 2 & 3 years ago, shutting down Tom Brady's Patriots in one of the playoff runs.

Does he have enough left in the tank/knees?
    Surely he'd be an upgrade over Chuck Peprah right, and then let the kids battle it out behind him?

Jim Leonhard says he’s healthy, ready to get into a camp

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 16, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
    [​IMG] Reuters
    With training camps opening soon, the guys who aren’t currently in one are beginning to sweat.
    But former Jets safety Jim Leonhard said he’s still hopeful to be in a camp, after tearing his patellar tendon last December.

Leonhard told WEAU.com from his football camp at his old high school in Wisconsin he was healthy now, and ready to prove that to teams.

“I’m a free agent right now, hopefully in the next few weeks I get some workouts and get a contract,” he said. “The knee is feeling great and I am ready to go. I am getting antsy, football is right around the corner and I don’t have a team, kind of getting antsy ready to get back on that field. You just keep working, you keep grinding and good things are going to happen.

“I know I am going to be playing football somewhere this season, I just have to figure out where. I am excited for that day”
    Leonhard said in April there was a “very good possibility,” he’d return to the Jets. They signed safeties LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell this offseason, but it’s likely they’d make room for Leonhard, since coach Rex Ryan has a soft spot for him.

2. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,274
    I like the player I just don't like the injury

3. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    That's right... it was a patellar tendon, which is horrible. That's what that rookie RB Ryan Williams tore against us last year vs Arizona on his very first ever NFL carry! When MD Jennings lasso'd him down recklessly.

I was thinking what Leonhard had was something less than the ACL. This isn't less. Dammit. Hate knee injuries.

4. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    I loved the way he played at Wisconsin and I was surprised at how well he played in the NFL because of his size. But his saying he is healthy and being healthy are two different things. It's a tough injury to overcome and he's going to be 30 this season. If he is 100% I think he'll demand more than the Packers are willing to pay him and if he's not 100% they shouldn't sign him.

Also, I think the question to ask is not whether or not Leonard would be better than Peprah, MD Jennings, Jerron McMillian, or Anthony Levine. The question is will Shields, House, Hayward or one of the other CBs on the roster play well enough so Woodson can take over at safety on the minority of snaps when they're in their base D?

5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,274
    One of my friends worked for the badgers for about 10 years and said Jim was the best athlete he ever saw.

I hope he can recover but I wouldn't want to take the chance.

6. Aaron rodgers is god

Aaron rodgers is god Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +154
    He is not very big, however he is very intelligent and he his very instinctive. Rex Ryan raved about him in his defense. I would love to pick him up simply because we do not have enough experience in our 2 safety spots.

7. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    Leonhard is always injured, if it weren't for that I'd have no issue with us going after him. He's undersized but he has a lot of intangibles that you can't teach.

8. CheeseHead87

CheeseHead87 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +28
    I don't really like the idea of acquiring him either. The Packers are trying to re-build the FS position, and it's not TT's style to do that through free agency. If they could get him at a crazy discount for not many years, then maybe. But I wouldn't want him taking snaps away from the young guns (Jennings, Levine, McMillian) in camp.

9. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    What if those young guys are getting torched in pre-season games? It's possible.
    Also, what if Morgan Burnett goes down? That's certainly possible.

If Jimmy checks out medically right now, I'd love to add the intelligent veteran back there a la Eugene Robinson back in the Reggie White Super Bowl Era for us. That is unless the contract would be substantial. I know he went to the U of Wisconsin but is he a Wisconsin native?

• Like Like x 1
  10. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,274
    Yes, ladysmith wi I believe. Closest big town would be Eau Claire or Wausau

11. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,992
    Yup, he played at Flambeau High School which is in Tony, WI. Tony is between Ladysmith and Glen Flora. A few weeks ago I passed the big sign along Hwy 8 stating that it's the home of Jim Leonhard.

12. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    That is one nasty injury to come back from, but Im not a Dr, if they are clearing him and the price is right I dont know why not kick the tires a little bit.He would be An upgrade from Peprah at least.

13. Packy

Packy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    A Leonhard would be an adherent that keeps the defensive backfield together. He could be a good rotational safety(a la Mike Pryor during the Reggie White Years) and would be a good, experienced leader of a very young secondary.

I say add him...

14. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Here it is captainWINN...... chime in.

15. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Sat, Aug 4th:

PackersInsider@Adam Schefter
    Denver Broncos signed free-agent safety Jim Leonhard on Saturday, the team announced.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dansz15

dansz15 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35
    Good, because I think Capers moving Woodson around and letting him roam a little more will be beneficial. Jennings and McMillian reportedly look pretty darn good as well through camp. Let's see what pre-season holds but after last years wakeup call I am confident the defense will be rebound.