Jim Bates has a huge upside

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When it came to the Packer defense the inexperienced and incompetent Mike Sherman really missed the mark.

Jim Bates comes to Green Bay as the Packers new DC with a defensive depth chart that is ugly. Sure everyone wishes Bates could wave his magic wand and the Packers would have a top 10 defense and head back into the playoff picture.

2005 will only be an evaluating year but with Bates on hand at least we will find out who can play defense and who can't play defense from the Packers ugly depth chart.

If Ted Thompson can get the Packers salary cap situation straightened out and can supply Bates with some pieces to the puzzle, the Packers will have a top 10 defense in 2 or 3 seasons.

OP
OP
S

Steel Wheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Mike Sherman ? Incompetent?

Is that how you feel. I always thought you were a Sherman fan,chase.

When you have no answers DePack, sarcasm is the next best thing for shallow minds like yours.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steel Wheels said:
When it came to the Packer defense the inexperienced and incompetent Mike Sherman really missed the mark.

Jim Bates comes to Green Bay as the Packers new DC with a defensive depth chart that is ugly. Sure everyone wishes Bates could wave his magic wand and the Packers would have a top 10 defense and head back into the playoff picture.

2005 will only be an evaluating year but with Bates on hand at least we will find out who can play defense and who can't play defense from the Packers ugly depth chart.

If Ted Thompson can get the Packers salary cap situation straightened out and can supply Bates with some pieces to the puzzle, the Packers will have a top 10 defense in 2 or 3 seasons.

Chase,

First of all, Bates will bring the level of defensive play to a higher level across the board. If they don't produce, they will be playing for someone else or NOT at all.

Packers made the playoffs with a very soft defense last couple years...
So with a turned up defense, Packers will get further.

For god's sake, Packers won 10 games the last 2 years WITH a swiss cheese defense. That was GOOD coaching on Sherman's part. NOW he will have a more solid DC that should keep the defense performing at a higher level.

That might be worth 2 more wins... and 2 more wins in the playoffs means the NFC Championship game.

So what's the problem?

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
For god's sake, Packers won 10 games the last 2 years WITH a swiss cheese defense. That was GOOD coaching on Sherman's part. NOW he will have a more solid DC that should keep the defense performing at a higher level.

That might be worth 2 more wins... and 2 more wins in the playoffs means the NFC Championship game.

Bang on, Obi1. :D

It seems Wheels/Chase likes to practice revisionist history. :roll:

Go Pack!

Robert C. Hedley

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Who the heck is chase? I never see a name 'chase' posting so why is everyone saying chase?

back to the topic --> Bates has a huge upside, you are right SW, he's not Slowik thats HUGE. The players did not respect Slowik (thats what I got from the interviews nothing in writing) many players however were quoted stating Slowik would not stick to a scheme and often veered away from what they practiced for the week. It was also said numerous times that Slowik used around 70 percent of Donatells playbook

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
SlickVision said:
It was also said numerous times that Slowik used around 70 percent of Donatells playbook

You mean the one Donatell doesn't even use anymore?

I haven't heard/read any packer player discuss what playbook/scheme Donatell uses for another team that I do not follow at all.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chase: I am not a Sherman fan and I must admit that the guy has made a lot of mistakes, but I hope that he can learn from those mistakes and do a much better job this year specially with Bates as D cord. Please wait until the season begins and until you can see what Master Bates can do with his guys I am sure that we will have a much improved defense as he knows how to work and how to get the best out of his players.... WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE SOMETHING REAL, and if Sherman can

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts