Jerry Kramer "Finalist" for Hall of Fame

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Sorry...they changed the story...he's only a finalist....grrrrr... Freegin' NFL.COM

OP
OP
weeds

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yeah...I about wet myself at the first read. I wore #64 for a reason for 7 of 8 years in organized football because I idolized Kramer as a boy.

My Dad told me a story of Kramer playing for years with a very large piece of wood jammed in his body from a boyhood injury - we're not talking a sliver here. We're talking about a CHUNK of wood. He got violently ill as a young Packer and found this foreign object was causing some sort of infection.. The details are kinda cloudy now, but if my Dad admired his toughness, that was good enough for me.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I edited thread title to reflect the correction.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we don't get any Pro Bowlers this year, but could get something much better and more important in four weeks.

Are there any pictures or videos of Jerry Kramer?

I'd rather have a few pro bowl players on the team right now than have Jerry Kramer in the HOF.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen articles from several sports writers (many of whom are HOF voters) who have said they can't imagine a scenario where he doesn't get in this year.

Kramer in the HOF > winning the Super Bowl

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah...I about wet myself at the first read. I wore #64 for a reason for 7 of 8 years in organized football because I idolized Kramer as a boy.

My Dad told me a story of Kramer playing for years with a very large piece of wood jammed in his body from a boyhood injury - we're not talking a sliver here. We're talking about a CHUNK of wood. He got violently ill as a young Packer and found this foreign object was causing some sort of infection.. The details are kinda cloudy now, but if my Dad admired his toughness, that was good enough for me.
Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall it.
I sure hope he gets in, it's way past time.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you have a problem with Jerry Kramer being a HOF finalist this year? If he deserves it, he should already be in there.

Not at all, he does deserve it and yes, he should be in already. I prefer to live in the present however and having a few pro bowlers, especially on defense probably means our team is better than it is. Yeah it sucks that JK is not in the HOF but him making it will do absolutely nothing to improve the Packers in 2018. Having a few pro bowl players just might.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen articles from several sports writers (many of whom are HOF voters) who have said they can't imagine a scenario where he doesn't get in this year.

I do believe he will get in this year but I wholeheartedly disagree with the second part. I'd rather win the SB next season than have any Packer make it to the HOF

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do believe he will get in this year but I wholeheartedly disagree with the second part. I'd rather win the SB next season than have any Packer make it to the HOF

Super Bowls come and go. This team will win more Super Bowls in the future. HOF is once in a lifetime and Kramer deserves it more than anyone, bar none. If it was a hypothetical one or the other prospect of either winning the SB or telling Kramer to suck it yet again, what kind of Packer fan would choose to prolong The Snub?

Not at all, he does deserve it and yes, he should be in already. I prefer to live in the present however.

So you're saying once players retire, you have no more concern for them and you don't have any appreciation of the history of this grand franchise. Jerry Kramer fought for and bled for this franchise and its fans and put every fiber of his being on the field more than any other player I can think of. He completely revolutionized and re-defined the guard position. He has been an incredible ambassador for the Green Bay Packers for decades and has attended more fan events and autograph signings that ANYONE and yet you would rather he continue to be snubbed by the NFL if it meant a couple more good players on the defense this year? Unreal.

Last edited:

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Super Bowls come and go. This team will win more Super Bowls in the future. HOF is once in a lifetime and Kramer deserves it more than anyone, bar none. If it was a hypothetical one or the other prospect of either winning the SB or telling Kramer to suck it yet again, what kind of Packer fan would choose to prolong The Snub?

So you're saying once players retire, you have no more concern for them and you don't have any appreciation of the history of this grand franchise. Jerry Kramer fought for and bled for this franchise and its fans and put every fiber of his being on the field more than any other player I can think of. He completely revolutionized and re-defined the guard position. He has been an incredible ambassador for the Green Bay Packers for decades and has attended more fan events and autograph signings that ANYONE and yet you would rather he continue to be snubbed by the NFL if it meant a couple more good players on the defense this year? Unreal.

How many times has Jerry Kramer been snubbed? Did the HOF ever provide legit reasons he should not get in, as opposed to there are just too many other players worthy of being inducted at the time?

Despite knowing almost nothing about Kramer, I am all for his induction if he is comparable to guys like Anthony Munoz and Bruce Matthews (with era adjustments). Changing how the position is played for all NFL guards certainly makes him worthy of a bust.

Unfortunately just being a team's best ambassador makes no difference. The HOF snubbed Terrell Owens the last two years because of his cancerous personality, but it seems most people who talk about it think he should get in anyway.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

True story...he was dubbed "The king of anaesthesia"

In case you wanted the "full story" as well as all of the other medical procedures Kramer endured. Truly a good read. :)

http://blogs.canoe.com/krykslants/n...he-king-of-anaesthesia-the-sultan-of-surgery/

"the eighth operation during the two-year ordeal. It was that doctor who finally discovered what was wrong: a sliver of wood the size of a pen and two smaller splinters, all puncturing his intestines a decade after the calf plank-shattering incident when he was 18"

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I want Jerry to get in too.... but I wonder if even he would make that trade.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

First bold - probably true, but will that happen while I'm still alive? And, hence,

Second bold - is this a trick question?

Afterthought - I remember Susan Lucci being almost a household name as a daytime soap opera actress because she missed every year on whatever their big award is. Then she finally won it and disappeared from the general public consciousness. Kramer (deservedly) gets in this year, and (after the parties) he's just another guy.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First bold - probably true, but will that happen while I'm still alive? And, hence,

Second bold - is this a trick question?

Afterthought - I remember Susan Lucci being almost a household name as a daytime soap opera actress because she missed every year on whatever their big award is. Then she finally won it and disappeared from the general public consciousness. Kramer (deservedly) gets in this year, and (after the parties) he's just another guy.
Kramer will never be just another guy to Packer fans. Is Reggie White just another guy? Is Bart Starr just another guy?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To each his/her own. I've said that I believe JK deserves to be in the HOF. I also said I think this is the year he finally makes it. Of course I can't help but think it is more of an "OK we will vote him in just shut the hell up about it already" type of thing as opposed to "we think he really deserves it" type of thing. That said I am a Packer fan and team accomplishments are more important to me than any individual player accomplishments.

I want the Packers to win football games and better players will help do that. JK being in the HOF won't. Do I appreciate what players in the past have done? Of course I do. I appreciate what those players did to help the Packers win games and world championships. I appreciate what a lot of players who will never sniff the HOF did. Players who's accomplishments were perhaps just as important as JK's accomplishments in helping the team win but he just did them a little better and maybe more importantly a little longer or maybe even more importantly as a member of a better team.

What made the history of this grand franchise so grand was, especially of world championships. Luckily we don't have to choose. JK may get into the HOF this year and the Packers may win the SB. The two things are not mutually exclusive. However, if I did have to choose then yeah, I would take the SB win. You can try to spin it any way you want if it makes you feel better but for me its a no brainer. No one player is more important than the team (we hear that a million times a year especially when it comes to contract negotiations and cutting of our favorite, or suddenly least favorite players) and I am a Green Bay Packer fan over and above being a Packer player fan.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts