Jennings won't come cheap in 2013

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I don't think he can command that kind of #1 WR money because as good as Jennings is, he's not a franchise #1 receiver.

I hope we can keep him at a reasonable price on a 4-5 year deal

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he can command that kind of #1 WR money because as good as Jennings is, he's not a franchise #1 receiver.

how is he not a franchise #1 receiver?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see who has a better stat line next season, Jennings or Nelson

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
how is he not a franchise #1 receiver?

That's not what I meant. I mean he's not the kind of player that is going to be able to demand a giant contract that the elite are getting. He won't come cheap if we do resign him, but he won't be getting $80-100 million.

Maybe I used the wrong term. He's not Dre or Fitz, that's what I meant

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not what I meant. I mean he's not the kind of player that is going to be able to demand a giant contract that the elite are getting. He won't come cheap if we do resign him, but he won't be getting $80-100 million.

Maybe I used the wrong term. He's not Dre or Fitz, that's what I meant

uhhhh look at the amount of money that Vincent Jackson and Pierre Garcon just got and look at their numbers compared to jennings. He is obviously not Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson but he absolutely has the CAPABILITY to demand a TOP 5 WR contract in the NFL if he wanted to. Now whether or not he asks for that kind of money is up to him and his agent. My personal feeling is that he would not go for the throat on a contract and try to win more super bowls with his team in green bay.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
uhhhh look at the amount of money that Vincent Jackson and Pierre Garcon just got and look at their numbers compared to jennings. He is obviously not Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald or Calvin Johnson but he absolutely has the CAPABILITY to demand a TOP 5 WR contract in the NFL if he wanted to. Now whether or not he asks for that kind of money is up to him and his agent. My personal feeling is that he would not go for the throat on a contract and try to win more super bowls with his team in green bay.

Yeah, but everyone knows those teams grossly overpaid, as teams are wont to do in the early stages of free agency. It's part of the reason why Ted stays out of the game in the beginning and waits for the dust to settle.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, because I dig Greg Jennings and think he is a very good wide receiver. And there's nothing wrong with being very good. But he's not what I would consider great. He doesn't have that intangible "It" factor that Calvin and Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald have. While I hope he stays a Packer for the duration of his career, he's fairly easy to replace as good, talented receivers are almost a dime a dozen like running backs are.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but everyone knows those teams grossly overpaid, as teams are wont to do in the early stages of free agency. It's part of the reason why Ted stays out of the game in the beginning and waits for the dust to settle.

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, because I dig Greg Jennings and think he is a very good wide receiver. And there's nothing wrong with being very good. But he's not what I would consider great. He doesn't have that intangible "It" factor that Calvin and Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald have. While I hope he stays a Packer for the duration of his career, he's fairly easy to replace as good, talented receivers are almost a dime a dozen like running backs are.

It doesn't matter if they overpaid or not, when a price is given that is what all agents and players use as their reference for negotiation.

I don't think a receiver of Greg Jennings talent is easily replaceable but that's my opinion.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if they overpaid or not, when a price is given that is what all agents and players use as their reference for negotiation.

I don't think a receiver of Greg Jennings talent is easily replaceable but that's my opinion.

Jody seems to be doing a pretty good job of stepping up. I don't know what Cobb's future is going to be like, but we payed extra money to keep two guys on our practice squad who I imagine will be ready to take on the 3, 4 or 5th WR role sooner rather than later.

I agree to a point with what you're saying about the market value dictating what the future price will be, but my guess is we'll work on extending Jennings this season so as to avoid overpaying.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score

We've got several guys who are going to be a FA next year. I believe that Jennings is going to be ballin' this year as well as the others

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I bet Greg gets signed in oct.

Shouldn't be too bad as we will be taking driver off the books this season most likely

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts