Jason Whitlock: The Pack ain't all that

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Aaron-Rodgers-NFL-offensive-bias-goes-too-far-111411

I’m well-versed on Rodger’s spectacular statistics — 72 percent completion rate, 24:3 TD-INT ratio, 129 QB rating, 2,600 passing yards and spotless 8-0 record.
Sorry. I’m not ready to crown his ***. And I’m tired of the TV-driven marketing ploy of selling inferior talents as better than Michael Jordan, better than Joe Montana. It’s even trickled down to college football. Andrew Luck isn’t on the same planet as John Elway. Period. Before we hail Luck as the greatest draft prospect of all time, how about he surpass Elway as the greatest Stanford QB first?

I take his opinion with a grain of sand, this is the same guy that said Finals entertaining, but Mavs are done.

Yeah, the Heat killed the Mavs in the NBA finals. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
I love it. The moron starts his article by admonishing us to pump the brakes on the hyperbole and then makes statements like "It was the worst coaching decision in the history of the league." So much for pumping the brakes Jason. And so much for your credibility.

BigBayBlues

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love it. The moron starts his article by admonishing us to pump the brakes on the hyperbole and then makes statements like "It was the worst coaching decision in the history of the league." So much for pumping the brakes Jason. And so much for your credibility.

+1. I was about to type exactly what you said. Whitlock never fails to amuse me with the stupidity of his rantings...

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Dudes a ******
Agreed, read his article will not be reading another one from him again. He is now blacklisted. Mike Smith's decision was a decent decision, I would do everything I could to keep the Saints offense off the field. So far Rodgers has been nothing short of amazing. And the Denver game was one of the most bizarre games seen in a long time. Though he was right about Romo.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me illustrate it.

Whitlock talks about how the rules today make up for such offensive performance. But if that was the case, then other QBs would be performing close to Aaron Rodgers, no?

Whitlock cites a lot of other seasons as better than Rodgers. Statisticaly, we don't need to show they don't, but to further prove that Rodgers is having the best season ever, let's compare how other QBs did in those same seasons.

In 1984, Marino finished with a passer rating of 107.9 and with 9.0 YPA. The second QB, Joe Montana, finished with 102.8 and 8.4. = 6 points difference in QB rating, 0.6 in YPA.

In 2004, Manning finished with 121.1 rating and 9.2 YPA. Daunte Culpepper had 110.9 and 8.6, respectively. = 10,2 and 0.8 difference.

2007, Brady had 117.2 and 8.3. In terms of QB rating, Big Ben was the 2nd with 104.1. And in YPA, Tony Romo was 2nd with 8.1. = 13.1 difference in QBR, and 0.2 in YPA.

Rodgers, so far this season, has 129.1 QB rating (better than all of the forementioned) and 9.9 YPA (also much better). The second in QB rating is Brady with 102.0, and the second in YPA is Schaub with 8.5 = That's an all time best 27.1 in QB rating and an also all time best 1.4 in YPA.

So, not only Rodgers is having a better season than all of those mentioned by Whitlock, but he's also having a much better season when compared to the next best in the same season, bringing an end to the argument that it's the season that is making the QBs play better. You can make that comparison with INT to TD ratio, and it would also surpass all the seasons he cited. The only season that had a better INT to TD ration was Brady in 2010.

And it's not only on the statistics that Rodgers is having the best season ever. Whitlock once again errs for not looking the tape. All the QB analysts agreed that his game is flawless, perfect arm strenght, most accurate QB ever, perfect pre-snap recognition, perfect decision-making, and he's more mobile than any of the mentioned QBs.

In the end, it's a poorly written, poorly based article that only dealt with generical arguments (it's the rules, it's a better team, it's media bias), never looking at the data or the facts to reach the conclusion.

Whitlock knows journalism, but he doesn't know a lot about football. I'll take Trent Dilfer's word over his every single time.

OP
OP
SanDiegoCheese

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me illustrate it.

Whitlock talks about how the rules today make up for such offensive performance. But if that was the case, then other QBs would be performing close to Aaron Rodgers, no?

Whitlock cites a lot of other seasons as better than Rodgers. Statisticaly, we don't need to show they don't, but to further prove that Rodgers is having the best season ever, let's compare how other QBs did in those same seasons.

In 1984, Marino finished with a passer rating of 107.9 and with 9.0 YPA. The second QB, Joe Montana, finished with 102.8 and 8.4. = 6 points difference in QB rating, 0.6 in YPA.

In 2004, Manning finished with 121.1 rating and 9.2 YPA. Daunte Culpepper had 110.9 and 8.6, respectively. = 10,2 and 0.8 difference.

2007, Brady had 117.2 and 8.3. In terms of QB rating, Big Ben was the 2nd with 104.1. And in YPA, Tony Romo was 2nd with 8.1. = 13.1 difference in QBR, and 0.2 in YPA.

Rodgers, so far this season, has 129.1 QB rating (better than all of the forementioned) and 9.9 YPA (also much better). The second in QB rating is Brady with 102.0, and the second in YPA is Schaub with 8.5 = That's an all time best 27.1 in QB rating and an also all time best 1.4 in YPA.

So, not only Rodgers is having a better season than all of those mentioned by Whitlock, but he's also having a much better season when compared to the next best in the same season, bringing an end to the argument that it's the season that is making the QBs play better. You can make that comparison with INT to TD ratio, and it would also surpass all the seasons he cited. The only season that had a better INT to TD ration was Brady in 2010.

And it's not only on the statistics that Rodgers is having the best season ever. Whitlock once again errs for not looking the tape. All the QB analysts agreed that his game is flawless, perfect arm strenght, most accurate QB ever, perfect pre-snap recognition, perfect decision-making, and he's more mobile than any of the mentioned QBs.

In the end, it's a poorly written, poorly based article that only dealt with generical arguments (it's the rules, it's a better team, it's media bias), never looking at the data or the facts to reach the conclusion.

Whitlock knows journalism, but he doesn't know a lot about football. I'll take Trent Dilfer's word over his every single time.

Great post! :notworthy:
You should email this to him. :laugh:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
What he is really doing is blasting the new "rules" which have been put in place the last few years that benefit the offense, and in particular the passing offense. He's just using Rodgers to make his point. If Rodgers had to play under the same rules that Marino and Montana did there is a chance that his stats would not look so good. Chance, key word there folks. Now, he may be the same, we will never know. But face it, with all the rules they have put in place over the last few years, they have neutered the defense when it comes to he passing game. Rodgers and all accurate QB's are the beneficiaries of it. Just the way it is. I actually find the the games are becoming boring with all the passing. Of the top 10 QB's in passer rating, 8 are from the last 10 years. Only Young and Montana are not from 2000 on. There's a reason for that, the new rules.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What he is really doing is blasting the new "rules" which have been put in place the last few years that benefit the offense, and in particular the passing offense. He's just using Rodgers to make his point. If Rodgers had to play under the same rules that Marino and Montana did there is a chance that his stats would not look so good. Chance, key word there folks. Now, he may be the same, we will never know. But face it, with all the rules they have put in place over the last few years, they have neutered the defense when it comes to he passing game. Rodgers and all accurate QB's are the beneficiaries of it. Just the way it is. I actually find the the games are becoming boring with all the passing. Of the top 10 QB's in passer rating, 8 are from the last 10 years. Only Young and Montana are not from 2000 on. There's a reason for that, the new rules.
Yes, when compared to the 1980's and prior, even incorporating some of the 90's, the rules have favored better QB play, no doubt about that. QBs wouldn't be throwing so much if they were plowded every play, no question about that.

But to say that what Rodgers is doing is only a product of the rules, when, compared to his own peers, he's playing so much better than they are, and when that difference is bigger than in any season in history, is beyond moronic.

You can make an argument that Rodgers' season isn't that much better than other seasons, because it's been inflating by the rules. But it's undeniable that, with rules or not, he's having one of the best seasons in history, certainly on par with the ones he mentioned, exactly because even with rules helping the passing game, he's playing THAT much better than everyone else in the same season, and THAT much better than everyone else in the decade. (please don't ask me to do a statistical comparison with everyone else in the decade, as compared to what those other guys did in their decade. It's not that dificult, but I've just done that one before... It's 8 points better than the second one, Manning in 04, with the same rules. You do the rest OK?)

OP
OP
SanDiegoCheese

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally love reading articles like Jason's, it amazing how people have to find a fault in EVERYTHING.
Fox sports editor: "There is no way the Pack are this good, let's nitpick." "Jason: I'm on it" :roflmao:

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
You beat me to this lol

Jason Whitlock is the worst sports writer ever.
If anyone is "biased" it's him, especially with the race card when he constantly would defend LeBron James last year, and of course, how no one can call Tiger Woods something, without "being racist".

If you want to blast the new rules, which do favor the quarterback, you should pick on Jay Cutler, or Mark Sanchez, cause everytime they get hit, you see them whining at the ref for a roughing the passer flag. I have seen Cutler get many roughing the passer flags this year, whereas I don't see Rodgers get them as often. If you want to ***** about something, ***** about that, cause all you gotta do is whine and you get a flag, look at Michael Vick. They know they have to throw that flag or he'll go complain to the press.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I remember when Whitlock said in 2009 "Mark my words, neither the Saints or Colts will make the Super Bowl this season. Both will be one and done."

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man... do people forget that that completion percentage is tainted w/ throw-aways?

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take his opinion with a grain of sand

More like taking it with the Sahara Desert. This is the same dude who called TT an "idiot" because he chose to go with a young Aaron Rodgers than an aging Brett Favre, thought that Brees and Manning, who both went to the Super Bowl, are "not even close" to Favre, and even compared Favre sweeping the Packers to the "Miracle on Ice". He even thinks that the HOF is "Corrupt", "knows nothing about football", and does a lot of "backroom deals".

I love hitpieces like this. Motivates the team, like how Cowherd called the Pack "one and done" in 2010 and they won the Super Bowl.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dudes a ******
He's often racist as well.

Anyway, Urlacher disagrees, gives us our props.
"The way we're playing now is what we're capable of,'' Brian Urlacher told me last night. "We're playing fast, the way our defense needs to play. One of the reasons we've turned it around is our coaches wouldn't put up with mistakes; they held us accountable and we cleaned them up.'' Chicago, 6-3, is tied for second with Detroit now, 2.5 games behind Green Bay. I asked Urlacher if the Packers could be caught. "I don't see anyone beating them twice,'' he said, meaning he didn't see them losing two games. "It looks like a fight for the Wild Card for us, but that's fine. We just want to get in.''

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's often racist as well.

Anyway, Urlacher disagrees, gives us our props.
"The way we're playing now is what we're capable of,'' Brian Urlacher told me last night. "We're playing fast, the way our defense needs to play. One of the reasons we've turned it around is our coaches wouldn't put up with mistakes; they held us accountable and we cleaned them up.'' Chicago, 6-3, is tied for second with Detroit now, 2.5 games behind Green Bay. I asked Urlacher if the Packers could be caught. "I don't see anyone beating them twice,'' he said, meaning he didn't see them losing two games. "It looks like a fight for the Wild Card for us, but that's fine. We just want to get in.''

I agree with the racism thing. Whitlock bring race into almost every subject he talks about. He once accredited Favre's leadership to him being a Southerner, and the fact that Steve McNair went to the Super Bowl in 1999 to him being black. Come on now, really?

And it really says something about this team when even our archrival's defense captain is saying good things about them, considering what he said about the Packers in the past.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

However we do have the personal testimony of a guy who coached Montana and Rodgers. He says he hasn't seen anybody like Rodgers since Montana. He said Rodgers was like Montana.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I agree, but I love the hate. :tup:

People have to come up with excuses why the Pack are so good.

You know you have a good team when you starting hearing the hate.

I love haters, bring it J. Whitlock. :sneaky:

*wish I had Robdogs ''Haters gonna hate" guy here!! :whistling:

I've got to find it! :sneaky:

Members online

Latest posts