James Starks Must Be Cut TODAY!!!!

D

Deleted member 6794

Starks suffered a concussion in a car accident on Monday and is in the league´s protocol. According to McCarthy he´s OK otherwise.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wait until some start trying to kick old #12 to the Curb......oh wait... :coffee:

Personally I'd say it's wise to revisit what Rodgers said about how that past success never came as easy as people thought it did. I think a lot of what's been said this year whether it's been about James Starks, Aaron Rodgers or Mike McCarthy has been based on how the team trend has looked at various points. Early on we had concerns about Rodgers because he was having games where his accuracy was way off, but looks like now he's found ways to fix it, at least more so now than what happened against Minny and Dallas earlier. With MM, I'd say most of us weren't saying he was for sure out, but legitimately we just started to wonder if he wasn't losing the team because we hadn't been on a 4-game losing streak in quite some time, and at times it did seem like some people were throwing in the towel. It appears he or Rodgers did something after losing bad to Washington that got the players fired up enough to do what they're doing right now. So I don't think it's that we're all trying to make knee-jerk assessments, we just don't want to be blind to concerns and unaccepting of problem areas.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So I don't think it's that we're all trying to make knee-jerk assessments, we just don't want to be blind to concerns and unaccepting of problem areas.

Agreed. It's human nature to make knee jerk "assessments", its the knee jerk "reactions/actions" you have to be careful of. If players and/or coaches were benched or let go after poor performances, we wouldn't have many players or coaches to coach them.

Reaction score
I'd like to let the year play out on this to get a better assessment. It wasn't that long ago that he and Lacy were considered one of the best RB tandems in the league.
I thinks his performance regressing is a combination of recent minor injuries and losing Lacy who has a completely different style. The change up pitch he offered with Eddie is no longer there so it's lost its luster so to speak.
I still think he has a knack for excelling in big games, late in the season and in the cold (being from Buffalo) so I wouldn't count him out yet.
Some guys play better under pressure. And just from memory he's been that kinda guy. He's proven that by rushing for more YPC in the post season verses regular season 4/5 times. Last year was the only exception (4.0 YPC postseason vs 4.1 regular season.) and I think that comparison is marginal at best
I think it's reasonable that his age will be a concern though in the next 1-2 years and will begin to overcompensate but for now, I wouldn't count him out if we make postseason

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say it's the Mike McCarthy opinion poll that should pick up much more positive feedback. Guy may not have had the best year coaching, but if the last 3 games said anything it's that he hasn't forgotten how to win.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd like to let the year play out on this to get a better assessment. It wasn't that long ago that he and Lacy were considered one of the best RB tandems in the league.
I thinks his performance regressing is a combination of recent minor injuries and losing Lacy who has a completely different style. The change up pitch he offered with Eddie is no longer there so it's lost its luster so to speak.
I still think he has a knack for excelling in big games, late in the season and in the cold (being from Buffalo) so I wouldn't count him out yet.
Some guys play better under pressure. And just from memory he's been that kinda guy. He's proven that by rushing for more YPC in the post season verses regular season 4/5 times. Last year was the only exception (4.0 YPC postseason vs 4.1 regular season.) and I think that comparison is marginal at best
I think it's reasonable that his age will be a concern though in the next 1-2 years and will begin to overcompensate but for now, I wouldn't count him out if we make postseason

There's absolutely no way the Packers should bring Starks back next season, especially considering he would count $3.75 million towards the cap. I don't expect any improvement out of him for the rest of the season, time to move on.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no way the Packers should bring Starks back next season, especially considering he would count $3.75 million towards the cap. I don't expect any improvement out of him for the rest of the season, time to move on.

THIS ... right here. Maybe I've been just a bit overreacting on Starks's performance and overstated it on his work ethic and all, but like Cap says here the guy's reached the end of his mileage.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Correct me if I am wrong, but by cutting Starks (before workout bonus kicks in) the Packers would save $3M on the cap, since $750K is bonus money and dead cap. I agree with you, it would take an end of season miracle turn around in his play to warrant keeping him around another year. As long as Monty and Michaels stay healthy, I don't think we will even see a lot of James on the field between now and when the Packers season comes to an end.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I agree. He seems to be in slow motion this year...

Reaction score
It's possible you'll get your wish with his recent car accident and Monty coming on so strong

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While he may not have been cut, it seems MM figured out he needed to phase Starks out, and sure enough it's worked given some of Monty and Michael's big runs today.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's possible you'll get your wish with his recent car accident and Monty coming on so strong

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Starks is on his way out after this season considering yesterday's performance by Montgomery and Michael.

While he may not have been cut, it seems MM figured out he needed to phase Starks out, and sure enough it's worked given some of Monty and Michael's big runs today.

Well, Starks didn't make the trip to Chicago because of a concussion. McCarthy better leave him on the bench once he's healthy again.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, Starks didn't make the trip to Chicago because of a concussion. McCarthy better leave him on the bench once he's healthy again.
But he's his "guy." The one they signed for decent $$$$ in the off season because of his knowledge of the offense. And Rodgers' trust in him in the no huddle. If he's healthy he's got to take two dives into the pile on the opening drive or it is not MMs dedication to getting the running game going. [/sarcasm]

childerm

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some get up and go workout any that time. It's not that out of the ordinary for a lot of people to be up at that time. I've been grocery shopping at 5 just s I can avoid crowds and do it while my wife is home and kids are sleeping

Members online

Latest posts