James Brown returns to CBS Sports

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
A little old, but some weren't aware.
Source - Link
February 6, 2006

JAMES BROWN RETURNS TO CBS SPORTS AS HOST OF "THE NFL TODAY" AND PLAY-BY-PLAY ANNOUNCER FOR NCAA BASKETBALL

Brown to Join Dan Marino, Shannon Sharpe and Boomer Esiason in Network's Pre-Game Studio

James Brown returns to CBS Sports as host for the CBS Television Network's NFL pre-game show, THE NFL TODAY, and as play-by-play announcer for the Network's coverage of college basketball including the NCAA tournament. The announcement was made today by Sean McManus, President, CBS News and Sports and Tony Petitti, Executive Vice President and Executive Producer, CBS Sports.

Brown will anchor THE NFL TODAY along with analysts Dan Marino, Shannon Sharpe and Boomer Esiason.

"Having a roster of the best on-air talent in the business remains a top priority at CBS Sports," said McManus. "James Brown is a viewer favorite in terms of knowledge, credibility and likeability. His return to CBS Sports improves the team in the studio and in the field."

"James Brown is an extraordinarily talented studio host and play-by-play announcer," said Petitti. "Clearly the addition of James Brown solidifies the CBS Sports announce team as the deepest and most talented in sports television."

Most recently, Brown served as host of "FOX NFL Sunday." He joined FOX Sports in June 1994 after a decade with CBS Sports. He hosts "The James Brown Radio Show," broadcast weekdays on Sporting News Radio. He is a reporter/correspondent for HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" and a boxing host for PPV, the pay-per-view division of Time Warner Sports.

Brown first joined CBS Sports in 1984 where he served as play-by-play announcer for the the network's NFL and college basketball coverage as well as reporter for the NBA Finals. He also was host of the 1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville, France and the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway. While at CBS he was also co-host of "CBS Sports Saturday/Sunday," a weekend anthology series.

His sportscasting career began in Washington, DC as play-by-play announcer for the NBA Washington Bullets (now known as the Wizards) for Home Team Sports. Early in his career, he hosted a mid-day program on WTEM, an all-sports radio station, co-hosted two weekly Washington-area sports programs, was sports anchor for WUSA-TV for six years, and hosted "James Brown's Pro Football Preview" for SportsFan Radio.

Throughout his career he has earned numerous awards, including the 1998 and 1999 Emmy Awards for Outstanding Studio Host for "FOX NFL Sunday." He was the 2002 recipient of the International Black Broadcasters Association's Broadcasting Excellence Award and was chosen as 1999 Sportscaster of the Year (Studio Host) by the American Sportscaster Association. Brown was also awarded the Golden Mike Award (1998) by the Black Broadcasters Alliance, two NATAS Emmys (DC chapter) including the Glenn Brenner Award for excellence in sportscasting (1998), and the Quarterback Club of Washington's Sportscaster of the Year Award (1996). In 2005, he was honored with the Director's Award for Broadcasting from The 100 Black Men of America and the Greater Washington Urban League's Sam Lacy Award 2005. Brown recently received the first annual Pat Summerall Award.

Brown graduated form Harvard in 1973 with a degree in American Government. A standout on the basketball court, he received All-Ivy League honors in his last three seasons at Harvard University and captained the team in his senior year. He was selected as a fourth-round draft pick by the NBA's Atlanta Hawks and a seventh-round pick by the Denver Nuggets. In 1996, Brown was inducted into the Harvard Hall of Fame.

Brown participates in numerous charitable organizations including Darrell Green's Youth Life Foundation, Ronnie Lott's All Stars Helping Kids, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, the Neimann Pick Disease Foundation and HollyRod Foundation. He is also a National Celebrity Volunteer for the March of Dimes.

He was born February 25, 1951, in Washington, D.C., where he now resides with his wife Dorothy and his daughter Katrina.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no, zero won that round. a picture of a cookie...classic...no words...just a cookie....classic. now im hungry.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cooookies?? now i'm hungry too!!

anyway, count me in the clueless club! i had NO freakin idea!!! :)

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always thought the one with Boomer Esiason was the generic one of the one with Terry Bradshaw. I don't really pay attention to what network I'm watching, just usually whichever one the game is on. Anyways, Howie long gets my vote. Whichever one he's on is the one I'll watch. Seeing a meat head try so hard to look smart is just irresistable to me for some reason.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
big3 said:
I always thought the one with Boomer Esiason was the generic one of the one with Terry Bradshaw. I don't really pay attention to what network I'm watching, just usually whichever one the game is on. Anyways, Howie long gets my vote. Whichever one he's on is the one I'll watch. Seeing a meat head try so hard to look smart is just irresistable to me for some reason.

yeah, kinda like lookin in the mirror, huh big3?? sorry but you walked right into that one, buddy!! just yankin yer chain, big3!! lol :)

big3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
big3 said:

yeah, kinda like lookin in the mirror, huh big3?? sorry but you walked right into that one, buddy!! just yankin yer chain, big3!! lol :)

That's why I never even TRY to look smart. I do alot better just wondering aimlessly that way no one gets suspicious.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
big3 said:

GREAT reply 4pack! Ya dun me PROUD! :lol:
Big3 kind of "lobbed" that one in there, just LOOKING for someone to hit it out of the park! "HOMERUN!!!"
LOLOLOL!!! :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts