1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

J.C. Tretter Injury

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by BorderRivals.com, May 21, 2013.

1. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    Apparently he sustained an injury yesterday and will be out all OTAs. Anyone hear the exact nature of the injury and whether it's considered serious?

Not that I was counting on him this year, but any missed time is a missed opportunity for a rookie to get acclimated to the pro game. Hopefully, it's a short-term bit so as not to stunt any potential development.

2. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
  3. Bagadeez04

Bagadeez04 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +133
    Wow...that didn't take long. Un-freaking real. The injury thing is getting to be redonks.

4. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,863
    Crab cakes. Fricken TT - drafting players who get hurt.

5. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Stupsid Tempsen. Should have drafted Barrett Jones. At least HE was already injured. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. 98Redbird

98Redbird Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +234
    Hey, sounds bad, but if we can waste one (because we are guaranteed 40-50 a year) IR designation on a guy that wasn't going to start anyways.. I'm okay with that...

Whatever.

In all reality, yeah sucks, but I doubt he was going to contribute regardless this year. EDS is going to be our center and I'm okay with that. From what it looked like, this guys was going to be our project center. This doesn't immediately effect us. He still has time to develop. Not a loss really in my eyes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GeeDogWarrior

GeeDogWarrior 0 - 0

Ratings:
    +139
    I get the idea behind a fumble drill ... but can't we spend that time working out our pass rush drills or something more productive... cause if we fumble, then - whatever ... instincts and blind luck.
    blah.

8. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,679
    Stupid drill, had been questioned by plenty of reporters before.
    Personally, I'd like to see our OL working on blocking better, not sliding like a baseball player into second base.

I wasn't as high on JC as many of you were, but he was a 4th rd pick, and to lose him before even close to training camp?

Well, at least it wasn't Melvin Ingram to an ACL like San Diego had last year. He was a high first rd pick last year they were depending on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,433
    This isn't for sure a season ender.

Guys have sustained this injury before in pre-season and come back the same year.

I would imagine he will start the year on PUP to buy them some time and then at that time they may weigh his progress and the needs on the O-line at that time.

Of course even if that happens he will be starting way behind.

10. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,188
    I don’t remember any other serious injuries resulting from the fumble drill and questioning the drill after the fact is a little silly IMO - very "agent-like". And of course they will be practicing pass blocking and run blocking too. Six months takes us to November so with zero experience he’s done for the year. His “rookie” year will be delayed until next year – at least he’ll know the playbook.
    Very strange "reasoning" IMO. A fourth rounder starting or backing up a spot and then starting is not unusual in the NFL (Look at Barclay last year - an UDFA) and Tretter started out at RT. We don't know what we've lost and obviously we gain nothing by bitching and moaning about it, but being OK with it or thinking it's not a loss is curious IMO.

11. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    I'm waiting for someone to start blaming the medical staff for this one. Already blaming the coaching staff...

Are you guys serious? Do you have any idea how to coach a team? Do baseball players only take batting and hitting practice? Get real. In professional sports they practice everything down to the fine details. If you don't think that teaching players the best way to get a fumble is valuable time spent in the off-season, then you really need to take a step back. Yes fumbles seem arbitrary or random but good teams practice the little things and don't leave them to chance.

This was a freak injury. Let's hold off on the negative blame game at least until the season starts

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
    I would have liked for the guy to have stayed healthy and got some experience this year. This will set back his progress I'm afraid. :(

13. jaybadger82

jaybadger82 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +387
    I was down on selecting Tretter in the 4th but this kind of setback is a shame. :confused:

I hope he makes a strong recovery and becomes a contributor next year...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,433
    Michael Crabtree tore his achilles today, so even though the Tretter injury is disappointing, this kind of puts the impact of it in perspective.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    Crabtree will be back long before the inept packer medical staff gets Tretter on the field....if they ever get him on the field.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. 13 Times Champs

Ratings:
    +1,379
  17. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Consider also that it's a big man who won't be able to work his lower half.

18. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,043
  19. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,557
    Many, many, many.

20. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,557
    Given he's a rookie who will have had zero practice time it's a good bet he'll be redshirted on IR even if he's able to play by Oct. or Nov.

21. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +519
    I'm trying my best not to whine and moan about Packer injuries and make unwarranted inferences about our practice habits, strength and conditioning staff, and what have you, but I really hate this. Brand new rookie with potential, possible C. His rookie year is pretty much a wash.

22. PWT

PWT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    One of the more visible people in the organization, Pepper Burruss embarks upon his 20th season as the club’s head trainer, his 36th in the NFL overall. Overseer of the team’s medical care on a daily basis, Burruss, a certified athletic trainer and physical therapist, joined Green Bay in 1993 following 16 seasons with the New York Jets as an assistant athletic trainer.
    The 58-year-old Burruss was hired by the Jets in 1977 after receiving his B.S. degree in physical therapy from Northwestern University Medical School. One year earlier, he had graduated with honors from Purdue University, where he earned a B.A. degree in health and safety education. At Purdue, Burruss was fortunate to be a student trainer working under a legend in the field, the late William “Pinky” Newell.
    The Packers’ athletic training staff was honored by its peers with the NFL Athletic Training Staff of the Year award in 2011. It was the second time Burruss had won the award; the first came as a member of the Jets’ athletic training staff in 1985. Burruss’ Jets staff also was honored at the National Athletic Trainers Association (NATA) clinical symposium in 1994 by former Jets defensive lineman Dennis Byrd, who credited the team’s emergency care as a contributing factor in his miraculous recovery from quadriplegia. Byrd had suffered a fractured neck after an on-field collision in a 1992 game against Kansas City at the Meadowlands.
    Burruss has been involved in multiple head, neck and spinal-care initiatives. In 2010, he was chosen by the NFL to represent the Professional Football Athletic Trainers Society (PFATS) on the league’s Head, Neck and Spine Medical Committee, which led to his subsequent serving on both the Equipment Standards and Return to Play Criterion subcommittees.
    Professionally, Burruss has served two terms on the executive committee of the PFATS, first as an AFC assistant athletic trainer representative, then as the NFC head athletic trainer representative.
    A product of Wappingers Falls, N.Y., where he attended Ketcham High School, Burruss was inducted into the school’s hall of fame in 2000, and in 2011, he was also inducted into the Wisconsin Athletic Trainers Association (WATA) Hall of Fame.
    Born Thomas Pepper Burruss on April 15, 1954, in Beacon, N.Y., he and his wife, Nancy, have a son, Shane, 23, and a daughter, Christina, 18.
    Also a medical practitioner, Nancy has her Ph.D. from Indiana University and is a professor at the Bellin College in Green Bay, where she is also the director of the undergraduate nursing program.
    Burruss currently serves on the board of directors of the Northeast Wisconsin Curative Rehabilitation Center. He is active in the Packers’ annual “Rebuilding Together” (formerly “Christmas in May”) house-renovation project, serving as a house co-captain *

*source : packers.com

Does this sounds like an inept member of Packer medical staff?

• Informative Informative x 2
  23. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +838
    I don't want to read his bio. I want to see players return to the field in the same time frame as players from other teams. It starts at the top though and that is with the team physicians. Watch how many players go outside to get 2nd and 3rd opinions after the Jennings situation last year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,470
    Probably the most insane comment I've read on these forums in a while. How can you ever compare injuries to injuries? Even a broken arm in one man heals different than in another.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. slaughter25

slaughter25 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +211
    But then if we use our heads and think about it logically there would be nothing to bitch about all off season... DUH! lol

• Agree Agree x 1