1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I've not seen this discussed anywhere so...

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by sschind, Jan 18, 2016.

1. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +498
    ... I'll bring it up. In the end it had no bearing on the outcome of the game so its no big deal but I was so frustrated on the last drive when Rodgers was going up to the line and was somewhat acting like he wanted to spike the ball then they went into the play. It cost them 5 yards because of the illegal shift penalty or whatever it was and possibly time for 2 more plays. They had just gotten a first down. I don't think they fooled anyone really as he has done it several times before. Its not like the Marino TD pass or even the pass Rodgers made to Adams last year. My feelings were just spike the damn ball and allow yourself time to get set. I'm sure he was trying to catch the Cardinals in a poor defense but he could have spiked it to stop the clock and still went hurry up to prevent any substitutions. I wonder if that was McCarthy's call or Rodgers?

Like I said, in the end it had no bearing whatsoever, except I think it allowed Janis to gain 101 yard receiving on one drive because of the penalty which in itself may have been worth it, but at the time it just frustrated me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +956
    I think it may have gotten trumped by the heartbreak of OT. But you're right, it was not a judicious use of the clock.

3. Ogsponge

Ogsponge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +595
    Nobody has brought it up because in the end it did not matter but I will not be so kind about it since you brought it up. It was flat out flocking idiotic, possibly one of the dumbest clock management issues I have ever seen. They wasted 10-12 seconds doing that crap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    Yeah that was pretty stupid. The down was completely worthless at that point. Unless you're going to hurriedly fake a spike and send someone out toward the endzone on the play to try a prayer, just spike the damn thing immediately and regroup. It's tough to mismanage the clock with 20 seconds and no timeouts, but they certainly managed to pull it off.

5. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Shhh

People only want to blame the Def for the loss

The non spike can't be addressed

But serious... He wanted to catch them off guard

6. Un4GivN

Un4GivN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +377
    Does it catch them off guard when it takes you 10 seconds to call the play? lol

Just messing with you, but seriously one of the dumbest plays I seen in that game. People that don't think Rodgers is off in so many ways this year should go back and watch.

And PLEASE can someone fix the problem we have blowing timeout?.?. Like every game. All the time. Biggest pet peeve ever!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Ogsponge

Ogsponge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +595
    lol, he wanted to catch them off guard by taking 10 seconds to snap the ball?

8. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,283
    They wait to the last second to snap the ball and sometimes have to blow timeouts. That along with sorry red zone offense has to be fixed . If we had a Finley tho i seriously doubt we have so many red zone issues....Ted.

9. Un4GivN

Un4GivN Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +377
    When Rodgers was asked why he waits till then because it also tips off the defensive rush... His reply

"Because I don't have to"

Umm.... ok.

10. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Was just under impression it was after that long pass to Janis.. They ran up and everyone thought he would spike but didn't.

That's why I said catch off guard

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  11. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +498
    I realize it didn't matter but I was just wondering if anyone else saw it like I did. Now we can go back to arguing about what really lost us the game.

12. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +498
    I think he was motioning with his arm as they were running up like he was going to spike it but I've seen him do that a couple of times before so I doubt it would have caught anyone off guard. I'm sure that's what he was hoping for but I don't think it would work.