It's all sitting right there on a silver platter

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Insanity???
Isn't that what practice is? I am sure you have heard coaches say "we will stay and run this play until we get it right" at least once during your athletic career. Or at least they said let's do that again.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And what if this "new management" of which you speak takes us straight back to the Gory Years? Have you considered that? Or does that possibility not exist in your way of thinking?

We already know what this management brings. If there's a change, it MIGHT be for the better.

Once again, the Gory years weren't all that bad. Once we realized they just didn't have the capability to win, we could appreciate every win, effort, and possibilities.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
We already know what this management brings. If there's a change, it MIGHT be for the better.

Once again, the Gory years weren't all that bad. Once we realized they just didn't have the capability to win, we could appreciate every win, effort, and possibilities.
So you're advocating change for a miniscule chance of better than 2 NFCCGs in 3 years and are perfectly accepting of the chance that we might not sniff the playoffs more than an odd year or two over a generation because it is less frustrating?

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...reak-red-zone-touchdowns-points-yards-allowed

Yes, with the best QB of his generation I'm willing to take that chance before its gone. You're operating under the premise that we'll get another AR when his career is done. In the gory years we knew we had no chance and every few and far between victory was sweet. The 83 Redskins game was game pf the year for us then because we knew before the season started we didn't have it. Realistic Expectations, we knew what our team was. Now we have THE key piece and aren't doing what needs done to get over the top. You really think Dom still has a job if he was coaching in Dallas, NY, or any other team in the league the last 5 years? Or a HC in Seattle, more worried about getting his number of rushing attempts in than adjusting to the game situation?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're advocating change for a miniscule chance of better than 2 NFCCGs in 3 years and are perfectly accepting of the chance that we might not sniff the playoffs more than an odd year or two over a generation because it is less frustrating?
but just think, if we lose more they can complain more. They view it as a win when we lose. So scrapping success and increasing the odds at losing is a win for some. No wonder they advocate so strongly for it :)

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, we know what this one brings. It brings long term viability to a publicly owned franchise. It brings a near record number of consecutive playoff appearances. And every playoff appearance is a chance. Winning Super Bowls is never easy. A lot of 6 seeds have won them and the first 16-0 team didn't.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Subjective/personal evaluation of the bold. Don't see anything that says the chances are minuscule - a chance, yes. Don't understand the 2 for 3 reference, as that's the same number of Super Bowls we'd be guaranteed with new management.

Otherwise, yes.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, we know what this one brings. It brings long term viability to a publicly owned franchise. It brings a near record number of consecutive playoff appearances. And every playoff appearance is a chance. Winning Super Bowls is never easy. A lot of 6 seeds have won them and the first 16-0 team didn't.

Subjective/personal evaluation. My take is that this management team has brought years of frustration - AR and the playoff streak has been beaten to death, but I'm one of those.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Subjective/personal evaluation. My take is that this management team has brought years of frustration - AR and the playoff streak has been beaten to death, but I'm one of those.
Football is by nature a frustrating game.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take it you weren't following them during the Lombardi years. The occasional frustration, certainly, but mostly nine years of not.
I'm afraid you are in for a lot of frustration.... Lombardi is a legend.... because of how unusual his success has been throughout the history of the league.... Same with Bellichick.... if that is the only way you will be satisfied.... I'm afraid you should be very happy that you were able to witness the Lombardi years.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm afraid you are in for a lot of frustration.... Lombardi is a legend.... because of how unusual his success has been throughout the history of the league.... Same with Bellichick.... if that is the only way you will be satisfied.... I'm afraid you should be very happy that you were able to witness the Lombardi years.

As am I. However, as, for some reason, has to be constantly repeated, it's (for me and my ilk) all about expectation. Make the playoffs all the time, with the GOAT at QB, then win more than one, or I'm not satisfied.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As am I. However, as, for some reason, has to be constantly repeated, it's (for me and my ilk) all about expectation. Make the playoffs all the time, with the GOAT at QB, then win more than one, or I'm not satisfied.
I understand your position... but you need to understand some of us don't hold it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As bad as the first three outcomes without Aaron Rodgers was (and my God it was bad), and as much as it seemed like all hope was lost, this season is right there for the taking.

Think about the next four games the Packers play. You've got a Baltimore team that hasn't beaten a team with a winning record all year. Flacco is playing like trash and the defense isn't elite. Then you've got Tampa Bay whose only wins this season are against Chicago and the two New York teams (no winning records there). And this game works in our favor due to a warm weather team coming to Lambeau in what could be inclement weather. Either way, it should be cold. Admittedly, Pittsburgh is going to be tough having to go to Heinz Field. That would have been a very compelling matchup with Rodgers going against Big Ben in primetime. But then you have the laughably awful Cleveland Browns after that.

So you're looking at three of the four games being extremely winnable. Of the three that everyone knows I'm alluding to, neither team has an elite quarterback. Neither team has an elite defense that should scare the pants off of Hundley. Neither team out of the three has even beaten a team with a winning record!

You've got Minnesota with quarterback controversy. You have to believe that they are going to find a way to screw that situation completely up. I don't see them running away with the division. And the wild card is always a hope as well, even though right now it looks like it will take 10 or 11 wins to get a wild card spot if things continue like they are.

And with Aaron Rodgers already taking some snaps, although very few, it's completely possible that he could take the field week 15 against Carolina. And if that happens, and the Packers "run the table" again, we've got a shot.

But it all starts with this current Packers team winning at least 2 more football games against mediocre to average competition. Granted, that's also what the Packers are right now :roflmao: But it's all right there in front of the Packers. There should be absolutely no excuse for this team not forcing Aaron Rodgers back on to the field to make a run.
At first I was with ya on this one bud.
Yeah, keep the faith.
And now after the Ravens game, I'm not so sure.
The Steelers are going to kill us.
Yeah, the season ain't over yet but it is looking like it will end soon.
I'll still pull for the Pack and hope to be surprised with a steal over the Steelers win, but any more hope from me for this season is hanging on by a thread.
They can still do it. There is a chance. It just doesn't look very promising right now.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was the assumption. Trying to make the point that one shouldn't talk about things with which one isn't familiar. The game isn't frustrating by nature.

You're a laugh riot. Just because I'm not in my 60's doesn't mean I don't have an idea of how frustrating managing an NFL team must be. Lombardi has nothing to do with it.

What YOU fail to understand is that the NFL today isn't the NFL in 1960. Back then the majority of players played for the same team all their careers. Now hardly anyone does. There was more stability. Just because you're old doesn't make you smarter, pal.

BTW, by the standard that you've now set I assume you won't be making any more comments regarding MM, TT or DC? You've never been an NFL coach or GM. Therefore you are not familiar with it. Perhaps you shouldn't try to make points about coaching.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Super Bowls are the goal, and no I'm not going to be satisfied with just making the playoffs every year. That doesn't make me miserable either, you have to have perspective - it's still just a game. But if you play a game, play it to win.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was the assumption. Trying to make the point that one shouldn't talk about things with which one isn't familiar. The game isn't frustrating by nature.
that is a ridiculous argument. So now, according to you, only people that are old enough to have witnessed the Lombardi years first hand are qualified to understand the complexities and frustrations involved in being a football fan?

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're a laugh riot. Just because I'm not in my 60's doesn't mean I don't have an idea of how frustrating managing an NFL team must be. Lombardi has nothing to do with it.

What YOU fail to understand is that the NFL today isn't the NFL in 1960. Back then the majority of players played for the same team all their careers. Now hardly anyone does. There was more stability. Just because you're old doesn't make you smarter, pal.

BTW, by the standard that you've now set I assume you won't be making any more comments regarding MM, TT or DC? You've never been an NFL coach or GM. Therefore you are not familiar with it. Perhaps you shouldn't try to make points about coaching.

First, an apology. I somehow missed that the frustration you mentioned concerned team management, as I thought you were talking about the fans. I've been somewhat forgiving of management since free agency and the cap took hold. And, being old certainly doesn't equate to smarts, but it does equate to a time when pro football was not, by definition, frustrating for fans. So, I agree with your first two paragraphs.

As far as the third paragraph, I'm not sure what I said to generate that, but my bottom line on any discussion of management is that just being a GM or coach doesn't make them, necessarily, any better that any of us. Like many jobs that depend on choices and not physical skills, it's not unreasonable to think that someone who has taken a different path couldn't be successful there.

Latest posts