Is Undefeated That Important...

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I don't see it as the shadow of a undefeated season looming over the Packers, I see the threat the Packers having a undefeated season looming over everyone else.

Now there's a perspective that I hadn't considered.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really, is it that important to go undefeated in the regular season.
Sure you get the distinction of being an undefeated team and everyone is chasing you.
The reality is is that you win your division and get home field advantage. Last year they pretty much came in through the back door and claimed the ultimate prize.
That is when the team became a "Team" and we know what happened from then on.
What they have done is create a "Winning Attitude" that has turned into a frenzy of sorts.

What they have to do is keep their success in check and prepare for the "second season"... the playoffs and the ultimate prize.

Like last year, get to the playoffs and hit that "Success" gear!!
The only thing that really matters is winning the Super Bowl and getting our 5th ring, closing to within 1 of Sixburgh Steelers.
Undefeated would be AWESOME..... historic.
But it would still only count for one ring.
I'd rather lose in week 16 or 17, still win the Super Bowl, AND win next year's Super Bowl for a historic 3peat.... the regular season record is trivial compared to titles, IMO.
Can you imagine winning 3 straight?

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
We already know the Packers can throw it though. I would like to see more consistent running in the final 3 games if possible to lessen the chances of hits on Aaron and to just get used to running the ball more period.

...and therein lies the rub, Jules. While I'm with you 100%, I'm not convinced that the Pack's O-line is built for a ball control running game. As much as fans (and McCarthy) say it isn't so, the Pack's blocking schemes are, in my opinion only, still contain too many zone blocking scheme elements. It's not that I think the O-line has the mental or physical toughness ... I think that McCarthy is a "pass to set up the run" type of play caller first and foremost. As the old yarn goes, "ya dances with the one that brung ya..". I'd love to see a smash mouth running game because I'm an old guy who admittedly loves a game where the big fat guys up front set the tone by dominating the line of scrimmage 5-yards at a clip -- but, for today's TV audiences, that's boring. When the talking heads break down the run/pass ratios, it may come out 55/45 pass-to-run, but I think that the Pack only give a nodding acceptance to EVER running the ball...haha.. again, that's just me.

Just win baby... by whatever means you can utilize.

Packer fan forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is undefeated that important? Yes. For most players, the chance to make history never comes. For these Packers, the chance to make history is right within their grasp. Will it kill them to lose a game? No, I don't believe it will. But will they spend the rest of their lives wondering about what could of been? You bet your *** they will.

Winning championships is nice, but every year one team wins the Super Bowl anyway. However, it's not every year that a team has a chance to do something truly historical and complete the perfect season. This year's Packers team has that chance. Lets hope they make the most of it.
Excellent answer! I watched some sports announcers discussing this, and one, who is a former player with at least one ring, said he would give up all of the accomplishments he achieved in his entire career for a chance at a perfect season. As great a ride as this has been for all of us, imagine what it is like for the guys actually playing this game professionally.

There is a lot of pride in what they have done already, but they have a chance for real history in their field here - like a Pulitzer Prize for a writer or an Academy Award for an actor. They'll go for it!

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The only thing that really matters is winning the Super Bowl and getting our 5th ring, closing to within 1 of Sixburgh Steelers.
Undefeated would be AWESOME..... historic.
But it would still only count for one ring.

And it would be no different than any other Super Bowl any other year. A perfect season is a whole new level.

I'd rather lose in week 16 or 17, still win the Super Bowl, AND win next year's Super Bowl for a historic 3peat.... the regular season record is trivial compared to titles, IMO.

Can you imagine winning 3 straight?

I think two straight with a perfect season is equally, if not more impressive. And having a perfect season doesn't make us any less likely to win 3 Super Bowls.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There is a lot of pride in what they have done already, but they have a chance for real history in their field here - like a Pulitzer Prize for a writer or an Academy Award for an actor. They'll go for it!

Hmm... I think it rises far above those. Those are merely glorified popularity contests anyway.

OP
OP
vancouverpackerfan

vancouverpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and therein lies the rub, Jules. While I'm with you 100%, I'm not convinced that the Pack's O-line is built for a ball control running game. As much as fans (and McCarthy) say it isn't so, the Pack's blocking schemes are, in my opinion only, still contain too many zone blocking scheme elements. It's not that I think the O-line has the mental or physical toughness ... I think that McCarthy is a "pass to set up the run" type of play caller first and foremost. As the old yarn goes, "ya dances with the one that brung ya..". I'd love to see a smash mouth running game because I'm an old guy who admittedly loves a game where the big fat guys up front set the tone by dominating the line of scrimmage 5-yards at a clip -- but, for today's TV audiences, that's boring. When the talking heads break down the run/pass ratios, it may come out 55/45 pass-to-run, but I think that the Pack only give a nodding acceptance to EVER running the ball...haha.. again, that's just me.

Just win baby... by whatever means you can utilize.
I agree, they have the running backs to put together a potent running attack... Kuhn and Starks could be the next Czonka and Kiick, (spelling ?). A real running threat would make the passing game much more effective, now that would be scary!!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can anyone name the superbowl winner in 1971 or 1973? but just about everybody remembers the perfect season for the dolphins in 1972. to win the superbowl with the perfect season would be a huge legacy. 40 years later they're still keep bringing up the 1972 dolphins. I hope they do it if nothing else to shut up mercury morris.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Cowbags in 71 and Dolphins in 73. Just guessing... hell... the Pack may not escape KC unless they pull their heads out of their ***es

Latest posts