Is Lynn ****ey in the Packers Hall of Fame?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a question for our Site Historian, or anyone else who knows. ****ey was one of my favorite players. He had some excellent years in the early 80s, and got robbed of a Pro Bowl bid in '83. One of the best QBs I've ever seen at throwing the long ball. Of course, he had James Lofton to throw to, but keep in mind, we had the absolute worst OL in the NFL when ****ey played. He took a lot of pretty bad hits in his day and had a lot of injuries.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a question for our Site Historian, or anyone else who knows. ****ey was one of my favorite players. He had some excellent years in the early 80s, and got robbed of a Pro Bowl bid in '83. One of the best QBs I've ever seen at throwing the long ball. Of course, he had James Lofton to throw to, but keep in mind, we had the absolute worst OL in the NFL when ****ey played. He took a lot of pretty bad hits in his day and had a lot of injuries.

He's in the Packer Hall of Fame, inducted in February 1992.

vegOmatic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to be the bad cop: How come the site Historian couldn't look that up?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the most underrated long ball passers in the league's history. Having James Lofton certainly helped, but he also performed with Phillip Epps and others. Loved his game and toughness.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lynn completed a pass to James Lofton one time I was sitting in the old section 13 at Lambeau that was the prettiest pass I've ever seen in person.

Lofton did a down and in, then hard juke to the sidelines deep, about 50 yards. All I saw was ****ey's arm fling it from behind the line. It was on a perfect angle to where I was sitting. Lofton's cut was about 20 yards from the sideline. He sprinted for the sideline, looked up about 10 yards away and the pass ****ey threw landed perfectly in his hands without reaching up just before the sideline. He caught it and went out of bounds. The defensive back was right on Lofton, but couldn't do a thing to stop it. 50 yard gain, no pain.

When you see something like that you understand "professional" vs. college, and you understand how difficult it is to be good in the NFL.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Don't forget that ****ey had suffered a terrible broken leg injury. The man could not scramble at all, he dropped back and just threw it.

starpass

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lynn is a Kansas Stater...lives in KC...and is on the radio alot...he tells a story about how time was winding down in a game...Bart Starr told him to stay in a meaningless game...boom...the next play a broken leg...ooch!
He has two sons...on is a great TE for Missouri and the other is a freshman at Kansas State... a great QB in the making...So...in 4 years when the Rogers experiment is over...DRAFT ****ey from K-STATE!!! for QB.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I unfortunately only vaguely remember ****ey playing. I was only 5 when he retired. My dad thought he was the best QB the Packers had seen since Bart Starr which was pretty much true considering the mediocrity that plagued the Packers QB position in the 70's until ****ey started playing better in the early 80's and wasn't out injured all the time.

I'd probably put him as the 4th best all-time Packers QB behind Favre, Starr, and Arnie Herber. I would definitely put him ahead of Tobin Rote, Cecil Isbell, and the Majik Man despite all being good QBs themselves.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I unfortunately only vaguely remember ****ey playing. I was only 5 when he retired. My dad thought he was the best QB the Packers had seen since Bart Starr which was pretty much true considering the mediocrity that plagued the Packers QB position in the 70's until ****ey started playing better in the early 80's and wasn't out injured all the time.

I'd probably put him as the 4th best all-time Packers QB behind Favre, Starr, and Arnie Herber. I would definitely put him ahead of Tobin Rote, Cecil Isbell, and the Majik Man despite all being good QBs themselves.

Don't forget about Randy Wright, TJ Rubley, and Anthony Dilweg...oh, wait...nevermind.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't remember Herber, but ****ey was quite good at the long ball. He could put a 50 or 60 yard pass right in the money. He had a strong arm and was fearless.

It really is a shame he was injured his whole career, and played behind such a shabby OL.

Honestly, I don't remember anyone ever throwing deep as well as ****ey. Lofton's average per catch was head and shoulders above everyone else, and that was partly due to ****ey.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RainX said:

I don't remember Herber, but ****ey was quite good at the long ball. He could put a 50 or 60 yard pass right in the money. He had a strong arm and was fearless.

It really is a shame he was injured his whole career, and played behind such a shabby OL.

Honestly, I don't remember anyone ever throwing deep as well as ****ey. Lofton's average per catch was head and shoulders above everyone else, and that was partly due to ****ey.

James Lofton and John Jefferson were awesome together back in the day...throw in Paul Coffman, Gerry Ellis, Eddie Lee Ivery, etc. Good times.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
RainX said:

James Lofton and John Jefferson were awesome together back in the day...throw in Paul Coffman, Gerry Ellis, Eddie Lee Ivery, etc. Good times.

Gerry Ellis. There's a name I haven't heard it awhile. Great receiver out of the backfield.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

****ey may have been the best pure 'passer' in Packer history. His passes were pretty and usually on target.

****ey is the most underrated QB of all time.