Is it time to boycott?

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe fans boycotting the remaining home games may get Murphy's attention. It will show that fans are fed up with a mediocer product, and maybe he'll get to work.

Thoughts?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe fans boycotting the remaining home games may get Murphy's attention. It will show that fans are fed up with a mediocer product, and maybe he'll get to work.

Thoughts?
No...but maybe it's time for a few "fans" to get a life and realize this is a game. I love watching Packer games... I love going to Lambeau to watch a game when I can... and I love watching them win even more... but a boycot? lol no. I will simply keep living my life and watch the Packers win or lose when I can.

Darryl Tincknell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What’s the point? Do you not think they’re trying to put the absolute best team they can on the field? What possible good could come out of a boycott?

H

HardRightEdge

Thoughts?
Why not just put a bag over your head? Write "Hackers" on it with a Sharpie. You'll probably get on TV.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What’s the point? Do you not think they’re trying to put the absolute best team they can on the field? What possible good could come out of a boycott?
Going the cheap route repeatedly, and staying well under the spending cap every year does begin to raise a few questions.

Last edited:
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I think it`s disgusting even to suggest this in the first place. We`re having a bad time, so what ?. I haven`t been a fan of the Packers as long as a lot of you but I`m as comitted to them as you are. It`s a slight blip and it will pass sooner or later.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it`s disgusting even to suggest this in the first place. We`re having a bad time, so what ?. I haven`t been a fan of the Packers as long as a lot of you but I`m as comitted to them as you are. It`s a slight blip and it will pass sooner or later.
I agree with your first statement. The second part, while I hope and actually believe it to be true.... is frankly, irrelevant. Good times or bad, I have been a Packer fan for over 40 years and will continue to be one.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

That's what us oldtimers thought back in the 70's, you know, before the internet and people discussed things face to face.
Every year we expected a turn around.
Then those years turned into decades.:cry:

But you never bailed on them did you ??

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Yeah ... the world will keep spinning and 'lo and behold, 45 guys in green and gold will still run on to the beautiful turf at Lambeau field ... and nobody will have noticed that the boycotters weren't present (although a great big shout out in thanks for not being present would always be inorder)

Boycotting ANYTHING in my book is akin to hitting yourself over the head with a hammer because it feels soooo good when you stop hitting yourself over the head with a hammer.

H

HardRightEdge

Going the cheap route repeatedly, and staying well under the spending cap every year does begin to raise a few questions.
The Packers have currently $12.4 million in cap space. This amount represents the cumulative unused cap rolled over since the 2011 CBA. So, the unused cap over the past 7 seasons has averaged $1.8 million per year.

The issue is "how", not "how much".

Mike, you should stick to coaching and leave cap management to Thompson and Ball.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers have currently $12.4 million in cap space. This amount represents the cumulative unused cap rolled over since the 2011 CBA. So, the unused cap over the past 7 seasons has averaged $1.8 million per year.

The issue is "how", not "how much".

Mike, you should stick to coaching and leave cap management to Thompson and Ball.
<following financial amounts are plucked from my ********** and have no real world basis>
I understand your reasoning but the innumeracy grates a bit. Roll over $10m, spend the $130m cap and you still have $10m to roll into next year. Roll $10k over, spend the $130m cap, and you have $10k to roll over. In both instances you have spent the same amount. In the first case people assume he is saving $10m from each season's cap. He isn't. There is just a rainy day fund carried forward that is never spent. So if he blows it all on resigning say Adams and Rodgers this season yet, next year there will not be the $10m or so rollover. He would have spent $140m this season which is in excess of the $130m cap but OK because of the carryover from last season.

H

HardRightEdge

That's what us oldtimers thought back in the 70's, you know, before the internet and people discussed things face to face.
Every year we expected a turn around.
Then those years turned into decades.:cry:
Brockington, ****ey-Lofton-Jefferson-Coffman, the Majical season. There were times of optimism, only to have all hope dashed upon the rocks of futility.

1968 - 1992, 25 seasons, 2 playoff appearances, 1 playoff win in the strike shortened 1982 season.

Being a Packer fan then was almost as tough as being a Bills fan now.

H

HardRightEdge

<following financial amounts are plucked from my ********** and have no real world basis>
I understand your reasoning but the innumeracy grates a bit. Roll over $10m, spend the $130m cap and you still have $10m to roll into next year. Roll $10k over, spend the $130m cap, and you have $10k to roll over. In both instances you have spent the same amount. In the first case people assume he is saving $10m from each season's cap. He isn't. There is just a rainy day fund carried forward that is never spent. So if he blows it all on resigning say Adams and Rodgers this season yet, next year there will not be the $10m or so rollover. He would have spent $140m this season which is in excess of the $130m cap but OK because of the carryover from last season.
And I understand your reasoning, but I don't understand the problem.

If, as you state, all of the rolled over cap is exhausted during the coming offseason, would it have been better to exhaust it earlier and be cap poor as a Rodgers extension looms?

The problem has been a gradual slide toward mediocrity in Thompson's roster building, following that impressive run of negotiating the Favre-Rodgers transition; the Capers 3-4 conversion and the Raji-Matthews draft to man it; major changes and risks taken when trying to re-climb the mountain. Then, once the mountain peak was attained, conservatism set in, needs-plugging happened two seasons after a glaring weakness appeared, an effective defensive scheme grew stale that no longer fools better QBs and coordinators; never making lemonade out of lemons which is the margin of outperformance. Another $10 mil in cap expenditure in one of those previous seasons would not likely have been a game changer. Thompson's foray into free agency this season, perhaps finally under internal pressure, along with Nelson and Matthews starting to show their mileage, involved more than that with disappointing results to say the least.

January 18, 2015 should have been a watershed moment when it became clear something was rotten in defenseville. Blowing the game against Seattle in historic fashion in those fateful 5 minutes demanded a defensive culture change that did not happen. Instead, the blame was put on the fired special teams coordinator, for good cause, but it was clearly not enough.

In the final analysis, a mediocre roster with an elite QB gets you to the playoffs. If it were a mediocre veteran QB (say, a Carson Palmer in most of his seasons), you'd get an average team. Put a zero experience guy in there who can't score in the red zone and you get a losing team.

Could it be worse? Sure. But just sitting back and watching mediocrity in the aggregate at other than the QB position has grown pretty tiresome. If the Packers made a change at GM this offseason I'd not complain. Dorsey should be a a top candidate. I doubt that's going to happen. "Stay the course, a 1,000 points of light."

Last edited by a moderator:

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
You can't boycott your own blood, and this is one Packers fan that's been bleeding green and gold since the 60's. Through richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, for better or for worse, I will be there for my Pack (and the wife). ;)

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No...but maybe it's time for a few "fans" to get a life and realize this is a game. I love watching Packer games... I love going to Lambeau to watch a game when I can... and I love watching them win even more... but a boycot? lol no. I will simply keep living my life and watch the Packers win or lose when I can.
it's also a business. would you go a restaurant that sold overpriced, mediocre, food just because you loved the location and back story? just saying. i think they're very aware of how the fans feel without boycotting.

H

HardRightEdge

You can't boycott your own blood....
You can, and holiday dinners just might make you wish you had (airing of grievances, feats of strength, the Festivus pole). ;)

But this is not that. This is a game. Fandom is just a hobby unless you're foolish enough to wager on it. And the Packers have not done anything directly toward ruining your life as may be the case with real blood. :eek:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A Boycott? I would be willing to compromise - wear bags with #7 on them to the games and face value is what you should pay for tickets. Now get the hell off my lawn!! Damn kids...

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as The Packers continue to be one of the most profitable franchises in sports, I honestly don’t think Murphy cares if they win SB’s or not. If the Packers had a true owner I think things would look a lot different.

Members online

Latest posts