If the Play Off's Started Tomorrow?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Short answer ~ about 10%. They're a top 10 team but not in the top 5 IMHO.

The defensive shortcomings are getting exposed and exploited ~ mostly by the run. They're also on the field too much (TOP is actually 51.76% and ranked 10th in the league) ~ I'd be happier if it was 54% or 55% to give the D some rest.

The offense has looked great at times but lacks consistency. They need to be able to sustain more drives creating 8, 10 or 12 play drives in addition to the occasional quick-strike score.

Fortunately there are still 7 games (and a bye to rest/heal up) to go, giving the offense time to find it's identity.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While we aren't dominating the league, the Packers don't need to be in order to win it all. You need good players, a good team vibe, and to catch fire at the right time. I think that the Packers have the first two components so far this season.

In 2010 the Packers were not dominant, were riddled with injuries, and only secured a playoff spot in the last 20 seconds of their Week 17 win when Nick Collins intercepted Cutler. In 1996, fans had a feeling that the Packers were the best team. There was a long buildup to that apex season.

The 2007 Giants were an average team until they lost to the undefeated Patriots at the end of the regular season, but they took NE to the wire which sparked their playoff run (i.e. catching fire at the right time). The Giants were massive underdogs in each playoff game from that point but still won it all.

You ask what are the Packers chances of winning it all? I say that they are just about as good as they were in 2010 and are only missing that spark to ignite a successful SB run.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You ask what are the Packers chances of winning it all? I say that they are just about as good as they were in 2010 and are only missing that spark to ignite a successful SB run.
The 2010 team is well known for not losing a game by more than four points and never trailing a game by more than seven points. You can't say that about this team. But this team has one thing that team didn't, it's stayed pretty healthy by football standards.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and that's my long-winded point. The 2010 run was different than the 1996 run in so many ways. Even the years that you feel that you've got "it" like 2011, things can go horribly at the wrong time.

I generally feel that the healthiest teams succeed the most, but 2010 shows that's not always true.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Short answer ~ about 10%. They're a top 10 team but not in the top 5 IMHO.

The defensive shortcomings are getting exposed and exploited ~ mostly by the run. They're also on the field too much (TOP is actually 51.76% and ranked 10th in the league) ~ I'd be happier if it was 54% or 55% to give the D some rest.

The offense has looked great at times but lacks consistency. They need to be able to sustain more drives creating 8, 10 or 12 play drives in addition to the occasional quick-strike score.

Fortunately there are still 7 games (and a bye to rest/heal up) to go, giving the offense time to find it's identity.

If the playoffs started today we'd be the #2 seed.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until the offense shows more consistency and the ability to regularly control the ball for 8-10 play drives (without dumb holding and/or false start penalties forcing 3rd & 10+) AND the defense shows they can stop the run I'm still leery of facing:

SF, Seattle, NO, or any of these AFC teams (in the SB): NE, Baltimore, Houston or a Mahomes-led KC.

Fortunately we've got 7 games to sharpen-up and hopefully avoid major injuries.

D

Deleted member 6794

Until the offense shows more consistency and the ability to regularly control the ball for 8-10 play drives (without dumb holding and/or false start penalties forcing 3rd & 10+) AND the defense shows they can stop the run I'm still leery of facing:

SF, Seattle, NO, or any of these AFC teams (in the SB): NE, Baltimore, Houston or a Mahomes-led KC.

Fortunately we've got 7 games to sharpen-up and hopefully avoid major injuries.

Most of the teams you mentioned have some flaws as well. While the Packers definitely aren't perfect by any means it has been impressive that they have found different ways of winning games. That bodes well for the playoffs in my opinion.